Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are You Happy Living In The UK?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Birdy said:
I'm seriously considering leaving here. My fella has just moved to Spain for work & I'm already fed up with him telling me how hot it is there when I'm sat in an office looking out at the rain....

However, I'd miss friends, family & the freedom to get a bus / taxi anywhere. He's up in the hills north of Malaga & has to drive everywhere - including the local shop (45min walk away, uphill).

The grass isn't always greener...... etc
can't believe u havnt gone!:eek:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Birdy said:
He's up in the hills north of Malaga & has to drive everywhere - including the local shop (45min walk away, uphill).

The grass isn't always greener...... etc

If there is a down side to some it is that there is less convenience. However I see that as a plus as I am much more active because everything isn't just a short walk away or by the end of the phone.

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
brighton_b0y said:
can't believe u havnt gone!:eek:

No work for me out there & I don't fancy the idea of sitting on my butt all day whilst my fella goes out to work.....

Am I going wrong somewhere?!?!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I travel worldwide for 6 months a year and can honestly say imo There is no where better on earth than the uk. I too love it, even the weather, just got back from Cyprus, unbearably hot,temps in the 40's, high humidity, cant sleep at nights, simply ghastly

Just a quick tale. My younger brother lives in South Africa and Ive been out to see him several times with the family, we always argue as he constantly runs the uk down. A few weeks back he phoned me one morning to say that 2 men had forced their way into his house with a gun and pitchfork and had subjected him and his family to a 4 hour ordeal with violence. Life is cheap in South Africa, and events like this are sadly quite common and can end with people being killed. He had a lucky escape

mk_bha said:
its shit.

To live in a nice house and support a family (a normal human thing) you need to earn over £60k if you live in the south.
(unless you have capital from property/inheritance).

its bollox.

also, gangs of 14 year olds spitting and doing graffiti - we are a horrible nation.

might f00k off to asia for a few years to get away from all this crap.

rant over.

Spot on post. In the perfect World I wouldn't be living in this country anymore due to the factors above plus numerous other reasons. I've kids at school still and I'm a bit reluctant to uproot them at this time in their education. I've lived in Australia, New Zealand plus the U.S. It sure gives you a different perspective of this country. Ok, we're wealthier and more comfortable than some of the poorest third World countries. Then again, when you compare their simple lifestyles to the stressful lifestyle we sometimes endure in this country, it makes you wonder who has the better quality of life?

Mr Popkins said:
surley if everyones going to spain ,it wont be long b4 its the new England?
Depends which part of Spain. The Costa del Sol is full of British and large parts are already like little England, but in our part it's very Spanish, very undeveloped, and likely to stay that way. Property is still pretty cheap and the cost of living is about half what it is in UK. And you can get back for Albion games in a few hours!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I lived in Oz for two years but had to return for personal reasons. It fabulous and it pisses on Blighty. The only good thing about returning was that i came home to Brighton. I don't know how I would have coped if I was from Luton, Bracknell, Croydon or some other hell hole.

Just look at the weather. Middle of summer? :nono:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I've been living abroad for the last 3 years. Have always planned to come back but the longer away I am the less I want to. I love England, but I now also love some other places and I have a better life there.

At the end of the day the biggest decider is the standard of living you can get elsewhere and for the price. The UK is just TOO expensive.

Also, when I first went away, stuff like pubs closing at 11 didn't seem such a bad thing...after a while without that nonsense when I go back it does my head in.

Still want to get a place in Brighton though. Love it.

and just to annoy all the twats who can't bear to hear a word against blighty....the thing I dislike the most about the UK and Europe as a whole (yes we're a European nation) is the agressiveness of people. I was back in England not 24 hrs 2 weeks ago sat in a pub garden on a fairly nice sunny day and two cocks were squaring up to each other...at lunchtime! f*** OFF.:angry:

D

Deleted User X18H

I love it here you won the Lottery of life if you were born an English man treable roll over if born in Brighton/Hove

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
there seems to be a pretty even split of love/hate of England, and each to their own, my reasoning for liking it here, like shingle, is that I get to travel quite a bit, not usually to exotic places, and we get such a broad variation of choice, and for that matter weather ! only a month ago everyone waqs harking on about glorious sunshine and semi naked girlies striding around Brighton, a week of decent English weather and everyones whingeing ! your at work FFS . . .what differrence does it make ?

as for Chavs and scum . . . .theyre everywhere, your just not familiar with them elsewhere

I'm off to Aus later this year, can't wait, but I reckon I'll still prefer it here.

Good old Sussex by the Sea . . . .

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
maffew said:
well you say theres no work though surely if you can do that youre not stupid so if you learn spanish why cant you mortgage advise there or something else?

It's something I am seriously considering. The downside is it would mean a 3hr round trip every day to get to a town such as Malage in order to work. There's also the possiblity that I could "work from home", but require internet access which isn't available in this particular location & despite our best efforts, is not looking likely to be connected in the near future.

Going out there on Friday for a few days so will see how things progress......

Adios! :wave:

Birdy said:
There's also the possiblity that I could "work from home", but require internet access which isn't available in this particular location & despite our best efforts, is not looking likely to be connected in the near future.
Can't you get internet access via satellite? I have clients here in Spain who I sold a house in the country to and they get it - not cheap, it cost about 2,500 euros to set up but at least they have it - and a fast connection as well.

zefarelly said:
as for Chavs and scum . . . .theyre everywhere, your just not familiar with them elsewhere
The whole World has pondlife, but UK pondlife is in a class of its own. The difference is, overseas doesn't have the mindless violence we have. When they beat the shit out of you, it's for a reason!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here