Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you going to pay £14.95 to watch us vs WBA?

Are you going to pay £14.95 PPV to watch us play WBA?

• Yes

Votes: 41 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 261 79.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 27 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Right now the poll shows a big majority ' No' . A lot of comments here indicate they will cough up. It would be interesting if sky divulge the uptake on this. If fans are so much against it then I say, dont pay... That will prove our point.
Me ? I am a saddo who does not have Sky sports so I would miss it anyway , but I think it is out of order..

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Wondering about this whole "big teams are picked more often" thing. Although this has been true in the past, that's when the only options were "watch via subscription" or "don't watch" (or watch illegally, but I'll ignore that one). Now that the options are "watch via subscription" or "watch via PPV", where the latter provides more money to the club, won't the likes of Liverpool be trying to push Sky to put their games on PPV (and thus make it more likely that we'll be available on subscription)?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm a little concerned about it to be honest.

I can see the big clubs liking the idea of PPV, particularly if they start getting £5 per viewer in away games not picked by SKy.
That's going to be bigger than the revenue they would have got from ticket sales.
I can then see them pushing for a bigger slice of the cake, because they are the teams generating the bigger revenues.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This time last year, if we were offered a legal way to watch each Albion away game for £15 - invite some mates round if you want, and spread the cost - it would have been heralded as a giant step forward in fan accessibility to watching their team.

Good point, but not in the current circumstances. Inviting mates round is questionable to start with. Yes fill the lounge with pizza, pies & beer and have a good time but right now you can't.
I'm surprised at the result though, 14% saying yes. What does that come down to in viewer numbers though? 14% of 30,000 (Amex) or 14% of our fan base (Sussex)?
Plus you have to have Sky to start with (not sports but at least a subscription).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This time last year, if we were offered a legal way to watch each Albion away game for £15 - invite some mates round if you want, and spread the cost - it would have been heralded as a giant step forward in fan accessibility to watching their team.

So much so that many were driven to get TV streaming packages, the sort that may not be 100% kosher but pretty much get you any game, anywhere for a small initial layout. I can't imagine them pulling the plug to pay £15 a game.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good point, but not in the current circumstances. Inviting mates round is questionable to start with. Yes fill the lounge with pizza, pies & beer and have a good time but right now you can't.
I'm surprised at the result though, 14% saying yes. What does that come down to in viewer numbers though? 14% of 30,000 (Amex) or 14% of our fan base (Sussex)?
Plus you have to have Sky to start with (not sports but at least a subscription).

But currently (for most of us who live in the south) you can still meet up with friends and family (in a group of no more than 6) indoors or outdoors.

"Limits on the number of people you can see socially have changed. When meeting friends and family you do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) you must not meet in a group of more than 6, indoors or outdoors. This is against the law and the police will have the powers to enforce these legal limits, including to issue fines"

Why set such a limit if yon can't meet in a small group up to 6? I've seen numerous tables in restaurants and pubs recently with 6 people sitting at them, so to have four or five friends round to watch a match is little different than going to the pub to see the game.

If the government change this then fine but for me on the 'rare' occasions such a situation as the West Brom and Spurs games are made PPV then it's a legitimate option for some, especially if you want to keep the cost down.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes definitely.

I have DAZN, NBC sports Gold and trueid Thai TV subs but none have the quality or frame rate of sky plus the bonus of being properly live with no pesky delay.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Is the right answer.

If needs be.

And as my ST will be reimbursed, what the actual **** are people moaning about? Don't get it :shrug:

It's a little thing called "cashflow" for some HWT. Not everybody, particularly in current circumstances, can afford to pay their season ticket money and then pay out AGAIN to watch on PPV.

Two ways this could have been resolved for me:

1) Refund the ST money then I could afford to pay for the PPV games

2) Keep my ST money (forever) but give me a FREE live stream for our games

But the club wants BOTH!

In one of his multiple missives on this, Barber said "unfortunately, fans will always want everything for free".

Really? He doesn't get it does he? WE'RE the greedy ******** are we?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a little thing called "cashflow" for some HWT. Not everybody, particularly in current circumstances, can afford to pay their season ticket money and then pay out AGAIN to watch on PPV.

But the club wants BOTH!

In one of his multiple missives on this, Barber said "unfortunately, fans will always want everything for free".

100% this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder if Barber uses his ‘fans always want things for free’ line when handing over Millions of Pounds to ‘Agents’ during transfers or contract negotiations ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will the results of this poll be taken seriously by the club? As one who will pay to watch I am a little disturbed at the toxicity this PPV might cause. I didn’t realise there would be quite such a reaction against it. The club cannot just ignore such negativity...or can they?

I look forward to Barber’s next comments on this. I suggest TB’s investment, the non furloughing of staff and the comparatively low transfer fees spent may feature

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have to say, this isn’t one of your better posts, not much thought has gone into, has it? But it has provided a nice platform for you to demonstrate your superfan status. Good job.

I have repeatedly asked for clarity if I have misunderstood. Nothing.

Then this. Weird, and bitter :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

But the club wants BOTH!

The amount of melts on here previously saying how lucky we are to have Barber, I find the fella patronising and on a mission to empty your wallets into the clubs account. Fall on hard time’s don’t ever think the club will care, they will just move on to the next mug on the list.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Charge a tenner, same as the EFL?

I can watch Glastonbury for nothing on the BBC, or go there in a five hour journey,, get covered in mud for a few days, find a hippy taking a dump in my tent whilst attempting to steal anything of value and be ripped off for half cooked burgers, falafel and bottles of water...before attempting to leave but finding my car blocked in by a **** in BMW then take three hours to exit the car park.

I’d still take the latter option.

So this whole thread of chest beating is over a fiver a game? A pint? :shrug: Maybe. In a wider context, though, other folk have rather more special agendas, judging by the salty replies I have received to various posts.

And as I have said repeatedly, once I can go again I will. Cost and time notwithstanding. I have missed only maybe 3 home games during the Amex era, all unavoidable. Not a 'superfan' (FFS!) just a regular. Right now I'm just looking at a glass a third full and trying to persuade myself a glass a third full is better than an empty glass.

And as I have also said, at my age and respiratory status it would be foolish for me to attend presently. And yet I support the removal of restrictions so those who can go (the young and well) can go. I'd even be happy for the club to sell on my 2 seats all the while I can't attend.

What's tiresome is the folk (not you, El Pres, I just in case I'm not being clear) moaning about £15, even though their ST will be reimbursed; complaining about the club seeking 'extra' money while moaning about us not buying another striker; moaning about everything even though they don't go to the Amex anyway because they don't like the 'corporate' flavour, lack of standing, opportunity for smoking, loss of 'banter' (the right to call spade a spade). Etc Etc. The narrative being that the modern game is rubbish and Tony Bloom is a grasping money whore. Oh, and instead of seeking ways to make more money, Tony should be handing money over to deserving smaller clubs like Crawley. Oh, and Crawley should be televised weekly with the opportunity to charge viewers the same amount as Brighton will charge; the advertisers are bound to play along with that, given the millions of Crawley fans worldwide who are bound to pay their money and tune in. Have I missed anything? Bloom OUT! Barber OUT!!!! :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last night I balked at paying Amazon Video £3.49 for the 30th anniversary edition of Highlander in HD.

£2.99 in SD was just about passable.

It seems unlikely I'll pay £15 to watch the Albion.

There can be only one.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
This may have been answered on the other thread - do we know if pubs can take part in this scheme? If so, any idea how much it’s costing them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here