Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are you going to pay £14.95 to watch us vs WBA?

Are you going to pay £14.95 PPV to watch us play WBA?

• Yes

Votes: 41 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 261 79.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 27 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
The £15 thing has deflected from the fact that 5.30pm on a Monday is an absolutely ridiculous time for a game of football.

I never thought I'd see the day when The Albion would clash with an episode of Neighbours

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Top man, these Emanual Kants' have just lost touch with the common man, and our everyday concerns.:kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All games are filmed, and the Albion have a production team. Why not have MyAlbion show the games for a fiver for STH and £10 for non STH.
Why does it have to go via Sky?

I’m probably being very naive but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

Not at all. My first reaction (which I didn't post) was 'but I have already paid!'. But then like some others, I figured that it makes some sort of sense.

If I have caused offence to people who are seriously affected by having to pay £15 a game, I apologise. That said, anyone who finds £15 a stretch wouldn't be that thrilled about a fiver either (when £15 was a big deal to me, a fiver was too).

I also apologise to anyone who genuinely thinks The Albion are money grubbing and heartless, and took offence by my support for the club's decision. I personally don't think the Albion are money grubbing and heartless, or that the £15 is (yet) another manifestation of this, but I suppose it is possible that some do, and would have found my comment (in favour of the plan) offensive, especially my vehemence.

I'm no expert but I assume this is an 'all or none' EPL clubs decision. I doubt that the contract arrangements would allow clubs to go it alone. If they did I'd imagine ManU would be all over it. In general, I would rather see the EPL clubs act in concert than go the Spanish route where two clubs dictate terms and cream of the bulk of TV money.

Finally thanks for expressing your disagreement with me in a measured way (as always).

Last edited:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutely no chance. Not giving them even a £1 more, let alone £15.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I wont be, not about the money it's the principal. I believe that if PPV is a 'success' it will become the norm and a gateway for the bigger teams to want a bigger slice of pie and stuff the smaller teams.

If this was about the fans they would keep it as 3pm Saturday and not stupid o'clock Monday evening.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As for DFP, he made personal remarks in an uninvited reply that had nothing to do with the content of my post, and were based on his assessment of who I am. I gave him the chance to explain himself but he dug his heels and resorted to the old 'I'll say what I want' defence. This is not the first time. I refer to Ian Fleming's notes on happenstance for the nature of my conclusion. Always happy to argue the toss with people, even heatedly, but after a point one draws a line :shrug:

:lol:
Is this guy for real? I called him a ‘superfan’ and he’s thrown a tantrum and blocked me, meanwhile he’s accused me of being weird and bitter, but we’ll brush over that :shrug: Someone takes NSC way too seriously :lol:

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I thought the Monday 5:30 was just a joke line.
But it really is 5:30 on a Monday. Really, 5:30 Monday. The poll needs to change to-
Who is at home and can find two mates to share the cost of a 5:30 Monday £14.95 PPV (against WBA)?
Spurs Sunday 7:15!!! What sort of world are we living in, a money grabbing give me more sort of world?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
But it really is 5:30 on a Monday. Really, 5:30 Monday. The poll needs to change to-
Who is at home and can find two mates to share the cost of a 5:30 Monday £14.95 PPV (against WBA)?
Spurs Sunday 7:15!!! What sort of world are we living in, a money grabbing give me more sort of world?

Agree 5.30 ko a joke, I'd do well to finish work in time to see any of 1st half. If this PPV is for benefit of fans to see their own clubs, why cant several games be at the same time - I.e Saturday at 3pm ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If I could go to the match, I would buy a ticket, and the money would go to the club (I don't know if the visitors get a percentage, but if they do, fair enough, it's part of the match day expenses, along with stewards and policing). I'm not going to chuck money at the PL in general though, to share out among the Uniteds and Arsenals etc.
Furthermore, I don't have Sky or BT - or a smart TV - would that mean I could only watch it on my laptop? Not worth it then. Plus, if it really was for the benefit of fans, all the PPV matches should automatically revert to 3.00pm on Saturdays, the proper time for football.
All in all then, it's a no from me. Even then, I might be tempted by a smaller price, but not by £14.95.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've voted no to this but this whole situation is difficult for the fans and for the clubs, I get that. However, at the outset of the pandemic when players were bulking at pay deferments when ordinary people were losing their jobs stuck in my throat. As an owner of a business my first thought was to cover the pay of those that earn least and the we cut at ever increasing percentages above that. The amount that players donated didn't cut it with me, it was too little too late and, for most, too begrudgingly.

Like most on here I've had a season ticket for the past twenty years but this is my last year, I've enjoyed attending games and will remain and consider myself a supporter of the Albion but with my lad now playing in SCFL and having gained a better understanding how little finance some of these clubs has led me to realise my money will benefit more in non-league football and they need my money more.

Before the flaming starts I realise the players don't need to give money or reduce their wages, even when much lower paid staff are being furloughed or laid off and I should be grateful for what they did do. I also recognise that many will feel it's wrong to give up a season ticket after so long but the truth is, I really don't care about the club in the way I have previously. I'll still get to game occasionally and will always be looking at the latest score whilst I pay my £6 entrance fee and grab a beer whilst watching a game, home or away, in Sussex. I also know some SCFL clubs do have wealthy benefactors and pay their players, but not all do and many are hanging by a thread.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Voted No - because I will be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when it is being broadcast.

Jan 30, 2008
Is the right answer.

If needs be.

And as my ST will be reimbursed, what the actual **** are people moaning about? Don't get it :shrug:

Well the club doesn't need you're season ticket money H even if you could go , didn't you know money grows on trees in the PL, as for £14.95 they're having a laugh again:hilton:
Regards
DF

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But it really is 5:30 on a Monday. Really, 5:30 Monday.
The poll needs to change to-

Just been looking at the EPL fixtures for the Fri - Mon of the West Brom game. There's no two games playing at the same time, not even 3pm Saturday. Can only be about maximising TV advertising

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just been looking at the EPL fixtures for the Fri - Mon of the West Brom game. There's no two games playing at the same time, not even 3pm Saturday. Can only be about maximising TV advertising

It’s certainly not for the fans, that’s for sure. Football without fans is nothing.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Probably not.

As the post pandemic football started I coughed another £25 a month for BT sport which pushed my monthly sky bill into 3 figures. It's expensive enough as it is. "It's £15 a game is reasonable enough" misses the point in my eyes. If I supported an EFL team Its a tenner a game full stop and even better if you have a ST. In the PL, if I want to cover all bases I've got to find £15 a game for box office, plus a sky sports subscription for those that end up on there, plus a BT sport one for anything else (accepting there is probably a NOW TV way of doing it which might be the answer).The cost per game is actually much higher as you now need to cover 3 platforms. I could probably afford it but not sure if I want to go down this road as we all know where it leads to. The ridiculous KO times are a case in point of the genie being out of the bottle. Does anyone believe these will get back to any kind of normality if say viewing figures are sky high for 20:00 on a Sat night?

When this pandemic is over, all the shit bits of the PL such as the monetisation and crap KO times will be here to stay. One look at the Big 6s latest power grab proves that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here