Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you British or English?

• Total voters

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I was born in Northern Ireland but raised all my life in England with English parents I don't consider myself Irish at all, English or British for me!

My point is if someone calls them self just British they are calling them self not only English but Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish as this is what Britain is made up of !!!
I consider my Nationality to be English
then a British Subject, then a citizen of the United Kingdom which comprises of England, Scotland and Wales

There really is NO such Nationality as British there cant be as it comprises of four completely different ethnical backgrounds.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't think Northern Ireland is a part of BRITAIN.

It forms part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But Britain by itself tends to refer to the island of Great Britain, which is of course home to England, Scotland and Wales. The British Isles consists of this island plus the related islands such as Jersey, the Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly and Hebrides etc. Again, it does NOT refer to Northern Ireland.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
During the Olympics and when Andy Murray is playing I am firmly in the 'British' camp, all other times I am staunchly English old chap.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

It forms part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But Britain by itself tends to refer to the island of Great Britain, which is of course home to England, Scotland and Wales. The British Isles consists of this island plus the related islands such as Jersey, the Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly and Hebrides etc. Again, it does NOT refer to Northern Ireland.
Wrong, the british Isles includes the island of Ireland.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Mere semantics IMO. They're British inasmuch as the people there have British passports and are referred to as British. We don't have a pithy word to describe the people of the UK so we use British. It's no big deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do Americans refer to themselves as North American?
Ask a Texan if he's from Texas or America.

Let us know how you get on, assuming you're not shot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
My point is if someone calls them self just British they are calling them self not only English but Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish as this is what Britain is made up of !!!
then a British Subject, then a citizen of the United Kingdom which comprises of England, Scotland and Wales

There really is NO such Nationality as British there cant be as it comprises of four completely different ethnical backgrounds.

Wrong.

Northen Ireland is not part of Britian. Hence the name of our country. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland. They are Irish.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Wrong.

Northen Ireland is not part of Britian. Hence the name of our country. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland. They are Irish.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
To clear up any geographical confusion:

Great Britain is an island, which England, Scotland and Wales are part of.
Ireland is an island, which Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are part of.

The British Isles is basically Great Britain, Ireland, and all the various Isles surrounding them (Man, Wight, Orkney, Scilly, etc)

The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here