Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you British or English?

• Total voters

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Simply question really do you class yourself as British or English?

English. I am no over the top patriot but I see myself as English and proud of it. Would be interesting to see the results of polls asking, Do you class yourself as Welsh/British, Scottish/British or even Northern Irish/British?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
used to be British, i see my self more as English since the other nations want to seek their own identity.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
My passport says BRITISH.

Whilst I get behind the English teams in sports where we compete as England, I also support sports teams where we compete as Great Britain or the UK.

And whilst I've no issue with either demonym, I do feel that English has slight connotations of yobbery and xenophobia.

When abroad I always introduce myself as a Brit.

No doubt the Welsh and Scottish would always vociferously defend their honour as Welsh or Scottish nationals over using British to describe themselves, and that's fine. I have absolutely no idea how those fruitcakes in Northern Ireland like to describe themselves, and frankly I don't care. If anything I'd like to use the term that most distances me from those freaks.

Perhaps because England is clearly the dominant part of the union, there is less need for us English to use the term English over British, as in many respects it is implied. Because the Scots and the Welsh would always use Scottish and Welsh to describe themselves, us Englanders can use British without most people then wondering what kind of British we are. To put it simply, if you call yourself British, you're more than likely to be English.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am bulgarian

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I consider myself English but more important that flags and boundaries are socio-economic divisions, thus I feel more kinship with a left wing, blue collar worker from Brazil or Russia than I do with an EDL member or the snobby posh twat over the road.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
English.
Always maintained if you walk down a street in Glasgow and ask this question the answer will be 'Scotish', do the same in Swansea it will be 'Welsh' etc. almost annoys me that do it here and the answer is 'British'. Why?

I'm not Scottish, Welsh or Irish. I'm English

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I consider myself English but more important that flags and boundaries are socio-economic divisions, thus I feel more kinship with a left wing, blue collar worker from Brazil or Russia than I do with an EDL member or the snobby posh twat over the road.

bowled, Shane

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Both. Dad born in Wales, Mum born in London. That said, I always support England when there's a choice. And GB when there isn't.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If someone asks me what country I am from I say England. If they ask what my nationality is I am British.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here