Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we still worrying about WBA, Sheff Utd and Fulham's results?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Most of us were, to be fair. I'm back to worrying too.

Our "strikers" are all utter shit so we need clean sheets to win games. With Webster and Lamptey still injured, clean sheets are very difficult, so we are in big trouble. It's all thanks to our woefully crap front players.

I thought Lamptey was fit and back in training have I missed something ☹️

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
this league is so mad that Fulham could nose dive and bloody west brom go on a run their game against Newcastle next week will be tasty

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reality check for those who said they were looking up the table rather than down.

Fulham no goals
Villa no goals
Palace one goal
WBA no goals

We’re in the shit

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Still in our hands so no. If we finish bottom 3 then so be it. It will be down to our pathetic finishing rather than what other teams do.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It would be foolish for me to suggest the next 3 games will decide the season with so much football still to be played. However, the next 3 games look imperative;

Fulham play Spurs, Liverpool and City.

We play Leicester, Saints and Newcastle.

If Fulham lose all 3 and we can win 2 of ours, the gap would be 9 points (10 if you factor in our better goal difference).

That would be a very big gap for them to close with only 9 games to play, with 3 of those being against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I hope a season comes when we are not pinning our hopes on teams below us playing like shit.
Wouldn't that be nice, mid table obscurity.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I hope a season comes when we are not pinning our hopes on teams below us playing like shit.
Wouldn't that be nice, mid table obscurity.

When was the last time we had mid table obscurity, maybe first season at the Amex and before that ?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
When was the last time we had mid table obscurity, maybe first season at the Amex and before that ?

98/99 season was proper mid table. We've had a few mid table finishes between then but got close to relegation zone or play offs.
The nature of the lower leagues often meant you're mid table and got one eye on the play-offs and one on relegation.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
to get to 35:
something like this ...

Sheffield United - 7 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats (Wins after 26: 2)
WBA - 5 wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats (so far: 3)
Fulham - 3 wins, 3 draws, 6 defeats (so far: 4)
Brighton/Newcastle 2 wins, 3 draws, 7 defeats (so far: 5, 7)
Burnley - 2 wins, 1 draw, 9 defeats (so far: 7 )

Albion's record in previous seasons with 12 games to go:
17/18: 13 points - W3, D4, L5 (27-40)
18/19: 9 points W2, D3, L7 (26-35)
19/20: 14 points W3, D5, L4 (27-41)

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Not sure even 11/12 was that. We sneaked into the play offs in March /Easter time - right up to Game 40 and then proceeded to get a miserable 5 points from our last 8 matches including that 6-0 defeat at West Ham fizzing out to 10th. So it was really only those last couple of games where nothing mattered.
I think we've had promotion, relegation, or play off places mattering right up to game 43 (in championship) or game 35/36 in Premier League in all 10 seasons at Amex. Even when we were promoted - we left it of course to the last 5 minutes of the Villa match to deny ourselves the championship title.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not sure even 11/12 was that. We sneaked into the play offs in March /Easter time - right up to Game 40 and then proceeded to get a miserable 5 points from our last 8 matches including that 6-0 defeat at West Ham fizzing out to 10th. So it was really only those last couple of games where nothing mattered.
I think we've had promotion, relegation, or play off places mattering right up to game 43 (in championship) or game 35/36 in Premier League in all 10 seasons at Amex. Even when we were promoted - we left it of course to the last 5 minutes of the Villa match to deny ourselves the championship title.

Yeh, I think so, so i'm going further back

Clearly the last season of the Withdean we went up under Poyet

Was there a season before that, we were under pressure at the wrong end of the table for a while then ended up safely in the middle?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I did not read this thread when first started and only decided to read it today ? Wish I hadn't.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
4/3 - Fulham v Spurs - handy if Spurs win - albion 3 ahead with a game in hand.

5/3 - Abion v Leicester - probable loss taking our game in hand away.

7/3 - Liverpool v Fulham - handy if Liverpool win - albion 3 ahead with a game in hand.

13/3 - Fulham v Man City - handy if Man City win - albion 3 ahead with 2 games in hand.

14/3 - Southampton v Albion.... go on, make a game in hand count, Albion.

^---- dates, not odds.

We could really do with Spurs winning on Thursday to ease some of the pressure...

:albion2:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I did not read this thread when first started and only decided to read it today ? Wish I hadn't.

As the bell end who started this thread, I cringe every time I see it back on top of the board

The last two matches have been scarcely believable ... is the only thing I have resembling a defence for my actions.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
If you lot can win at Liverpool, give City a good game and beat Spurs, surely you can get enough to survive. Genuinely hope you dont go down, as the derby games are highlights of the season for me, even if we did steal points in both games this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here