Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any TV chefs/cookery show you DO like?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I love Masterchef (usually).

There's a series on at the moment with professional chefs on it (most of whom seem to be a bit crap). Not liking it as much as the normal series as it's just not the same without John Torode. Michel Roux Jr is no doubt a great chef, but he just DOESN'T SHOUT LOUDLY ENOUGH WHEN REVIEWING THE FOOD.

With only Greg Wallace to turn up the volume it's a very quiet series indeed so far.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Huge Furry Whittingham is a very nice chap, a very good cook and not a bad presenter.
I used to like Rick Stein (who was a Floyd me-too) but I think he's pretty much given up now.
Nigel Slater is a GREAT writer and has an attitude to food I love, but doesn't present so well.
I like the ladies from River Cafe but they haven't been on for a while.
Jamie Oliver's recipes are remarkably reliable - esp those in the Jamie at Home (the garden one).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nope, none. I'm not really a foodie, I don't really like anything that doesn't come in a foil container with a side order of garlic naan. (Although occasionally for a change I do like a good burger).

My Mum used to like the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr I think he was), a TV chef back in the 1970s.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The only one worth wasting part of your life watching is Nigella. But I am not interested in the cooking. :p

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
philip_harben.jpg

The "Original" TV Chef - Philip Harben. Although too young to see his shows, I have bought some of his cookery books to add to my collection.

There seems to be more than a passing resemblance to AWT

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
HFW is a something of a legend to me, really got me into thinking about my food, where it comes from, what its impact is on the environment and that. To those ends I am now a champion of free range, organic and local produce, not that I wasn't before, but he gives such good encouragement that I now rarely buy from supermakrets, or choose imported fruit and veg, certainly never buy battery farmed meat, and I avoid anything coming for far far away, NZ, etc.

Now, it might seem a little ironic that I also love to cook asian food, and Rick Steins latest book is excellent (as was the TV series). I buy pretty much everything I can from local sources, there are many British suppliers of chillis, lemongrass, and other herbs etc, but things like Coconuts, rice, and other such exotic items I have to admit to buying imported.

On balance, those two TV cooks are probably my favourites, but I do have somewhere in excess of 300 cookery books, all styles, written by all sorts, and from all ages, I buy them when abroad, or travelling around, and always get something for an Xmus pressie. Hoping to do one of HFW courses sometime.

Last edited:

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I like Come Dine With Me, and anything with Ramsay. My favourite though is Something For The Weekend. My picture was on there along with Mrs little al.

[yt]zBQYv22_y3I[/yt]

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Gary Rhodes is a knobhead but he cooks the food i want to eat, so does that fat irish tink, and stien.

Ramseys kitchen knightmares are good veiwing to see the kind of idiots running their own businesses.

The rest can piss right of imo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another call for my hero Nigel Slater.
His 'meal of my life', or whatever, programmes were excellent.
But as stated he writes better than he presents.

Hugh's enjoyable mainly due to my being a 'local by marriage' of his, and my new found love of all things West Dorset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here