Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Southern going to lose their franchise?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It expires in September 2009 and it hasn't been renewed as yet, are there murmurs of discontent?

I know an initial stumbling block was Ken's idea to have South London under the London Overground scheme, which would have involved augmenting their franchise, but I know Brown in the end baulked at the scheme, even prior to Ken's loss.

It would personally surprise me if they lost it, they seem fairly competent and a massive improvement on the headless chickens that were Connex. However they have had problems with those Dec07 timetable changes and their attempts to fill the gap left by SWT.

From a personal viewpoint, I also think they are winning few friends with their obstinate atittude towards operating Oyster on their route(same goes for sister company SouthEastern) and of course their attitude to the London/Brighton bikeride is bureaucratic in the extreme.

Despite all that they really have(whether through their investment or NR funds) made the Southern area far more respectable, it feels far less EMBARRASING to travel by train, as it did when the old slam doors wheezed in and the stations looked in a dire state.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I hope not. I'm a Brighton/London commuter and think on the whole they are pretty good.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I quite like their music.:bigwave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They will have to bid like everyone else and inherit the Gatwick Express from 22nd June this year.

I hope they do get it as they have done really well to improve everything.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
They will have to bid like everyone else and inherit the Gatwick Express from 22nd June this year.

I hope they do get it as they have done really well to improve everything.

I thought that the DFT issued renewals before now though?

Indeed they are, but the changes to Gatwick Express service isn't happening till December, from what I know.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Gatwick Express thing is a bit odd. I've heard it is supposed to be extended down to Brighton, but with only 2 lines from Haywards Heath all the way down, I'm not sure how it will fit in?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Gatwick Express thing is a bit odd. I've heard it is supposed to be extended down to Brighton, but with only 2 lines from Haywards Heath all the way down, I'm not sure how it will fit in?

It will only be during rush hour.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It would'nt bother me if they lost it, They're difficult to work with and they seem to think they run the bloody railway.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It would'nt bother me if they lost it, They're difficult to work with and they seem to think they run the bloody railway.

I was waiting for your response! Seeing as I knew you were an insider.

Who do you work for exactly?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Trains are a massive improvement compared to earlier this decade. Got mostly nice modern trains, cleaner stations. Would surprise me if they lost francise.

Trains isnt their remit though and actually Connex ordered the 377s I think, and NR facilitated the rollout thanks to power upgrades?

They may be responsible for the smarter stations though! Sounds small but I think it makes a big difference, far more pleasant environment.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f*** me if some tossers like FCC get it then gawd help us all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Southern service seems fine - it's Thameslink/FCC's management that want shooting at dawn: grotty, old trains; no guards, just hoards of predatory ticket inspectors; no announcements when things screw up; services cancelled at the drop of a hat etc etc. They've actually got marginally better but from the level of incompetence they showed when they took over, that wasn't going to be that difficult.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Southern service seems fine - it's Thameslink/FCC's management that want shooting at dawn: grotty, old trains; no guards, just hoards of predatory ticket inspectors; no announcements when things screw up; services cancelled at the drop of a hat etc etc. They've actually got marginally better but from the level of incompetence they showed when they took over, that wasn't going to be that difficult.

Thats what I wanted to say MOH!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
All I want from Southern is to add an extra carriage to my train, so that a large amount of people are NOT forced to stand for much of thye journey. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? The platforms can cope with a four carriage train, but insist on a three carriage train. :angry:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
f*** me if some tossers like FCC get it then gawd help us all.

I'm hoping they are stripped of their FCC franchise, after Thameslink2000 progresses, it will be a major franchise(for example, Brighton to Cambridge through routes and beyond) and them at the wheel could be a huge wasted opportunity for such an enhanced service(if you include London Bridge upgrade works).

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
All I want from Southern is to add an extra carriage to my train, so that a large amount of people are NOT forced to stand for much of thye journey. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? The platforms can cope with a four carriage train, but insist on a three carriage train. :angry:

Which route is it? I assume they don't have enough carriages?

Is it coastway west services...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here