Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Southern going to lose their franchise?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With Virgo's Haircut saying FCC not going to use London Bridge from Dec08 anymore, I assume that means they are going via Tulse/Herne Hill all the time...

That will be fun for all the commuters up to St Pancras and beyond.

Deary me, that takes forever......................

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
bigc. It was Southern. Have used FCC,and they are not my preferred choice. In compared to Southern, FCC have alot to do.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Deary me, that takes forever......................

Well I assume that is what they will be doing, if they need to build a new viaduct over Borough Market, the trains won't be able to use that path into Blackfriars and it would explain why FCC will no longer be stopping at L.Bridge..

I guess that will be even LESS reason to use FCC then. Would be far faster to get the tube from Vic or even L.Bridge via Southern route.

p.o.g

Apr 11, 2008
southern

i am a driver for southern and also a palace fan,so i dont care what type of service you get.
If i see any of you lot ,i wouldnt stop anyway

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Correct and day tickets are simplified from September
Does this mean the special offers of 2 for 1 or 4 for 2 disappear ? . Day tickets are a nightmare at the moment as some destinations are available as a Cheap Day and others as a Standard Saver when asking for a return.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I like Southern a lot. Their trains are comfortable, warm in Winter and air-conned in Summer. The toilets are a bit too hi-tech for their own good - and the bloke who designed the emergency stop button to be right next to the flusher deserves to die horribly - but overall they've been grand. Think most regular travellers would agree. That FCC third-world cattle truck company on the the other hand...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The idea of turning up at the train station to buy a ticket which will be the cheapest option for the journey being taken is quite good in theory but will it work in practice ? The ticket office staff at Grimsby Town are very mediocre to say the least , anything slightly complicated seems to upset them. If we are travelling down to Brighton for a holiday, I always go to the ticket office at Cleethorpes as they know how to do the job properly with a great customer service attitude.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it too much to expect the automated ticket machines to read the information that is put into it and issue the cheapest available ticket. or is there a difference between companies when travelling from Brighton to London. As I said earlier I do not use trains as I cannot afford them.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Next month Southern take over they Gatwick Express, and in December there are massive changes to the Brighton main line. In addition to the Brighton to Victoria expresses, there will 2 trains per hour to London Bridge, operated by Southern, not FCC. Also in the peak some Gatwick Express services will be extended to Brighton to ease passenger numbers on the 0716, 0733 and 0747 commuter services.

I dont suppose you know whether there's any plans to do away with the half hourly split/attachment on the Eastbourne/Littlehampton/Victoria services at Haywards Heath do you? Those services are a nightmare and regularly bring Hayward Heath to a grinding halt when there's problems on the East or West coast line.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I dont suppose you know whether there's any plans to do away with the half hourly split/attachment on the Eastbourne/Littlehampton/Victoria services at Haywards Heath do you? Those services are a nightmare and regularly bring Hayward Heath to a grinding halt when there's problems on the East or West coast line.

Don't ask VH he knows NOTHING :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Don't ask VH he knows NOTHING :thumbsup:

:lolol:

Do you know then Ernest? I have to ask these things because they tend not to let us in on these things until a couple of hours before the new service starts.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Is it too much to expect the automated ticket machines to read the information that is put into it and issue the cheapest available ticket. or is there a difference between companies when travelling from Brighton to London. As I said earlier I do not use trains as I cannot afford them.

Well there is FCC and Southern to get to London from Brighton, now I think, FCC is marginally cheaper but isn't worth it.

Automated ticket machines don't give the cheapest tickets at the moment, as far as I'm aware? I think that may be changing though.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Connex were actually quite good to work for and gave me no grief :salute:

Oh yes, you looked SOOOO fetching in that lovely blue & yellow combination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here