Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Southern going to lose their franchise?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Which route is it? I assume they don't have enough carriages?

Is it coastway west services...

Yo. I thought they had comandeered a large sum of money to buy many new carriages*.

Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour/Southampton Central. The trains are always rammed on the way back and even worse when the usual trains are delayed. A large train (4+ carriages) passes through on the way to London, which is virtually empty for most of the journey.

* This of course could be made up, but I am certain I read that.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All I want from Southern is to add an extra carriage to my train, so that a large amount of people are NOT forced to stand for much of thye journey. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? The platforms can cope with a four carriage train, but insist on a three carriage train. :angry:

I want two extra services, one in the morning from L'hampton to London Bridge London Bridge and the equivalent return one for the evening. In the morning there are just two direct trains, and three in the evening (and one of those is before 5 o'clock). This has always ben the same in the 20 years I've been doing the trip daily, but now these trains are so crowded. In the mornings people are having to stand from Portslade now, and that's a bloody long way top stand for your 4k a year.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...if you include London Bridge upgrade works.
Are these the works that will include demolishing The Only Pub In London, the Market Porter at Borough Market? Is that going to happen?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
As an employee of Southern I'd be very surprised if they lost the franchise.

As a TOC they haven't really done too much wrong. Yes of course things go wrong from time to time. Next month Southern take over they Gatwick Express, and in December there are massive changes to the Brighton main line. In addition to the Brighton to Victoria expresses, there will 2 trains per hour to London Bridge, operated by Southern, not FCC. Also in the peak some Gatwick Express services will be extended to Brighton to ease passenger numbers on the 0716, 0733 and 0747 commuter services.

Also there are more 377's on order, and as a stop gap Southern have got some old SWT 442's for use on the Gatwick Expresses and Brighton mainline. Southern have also spent millions on trains and stations.

I can't see the First given the franchise as they are on their final warning for the First Late Western franchise, and First Capital Connect have a piss poor repuationn amongst it's staff and passengers. National Express have shown an interest, but as Southern are about to take over their Gatwick Express franchise I can't see them being given the Southern franchise. Arriva who own the Cross Country franchise have pulled out of Brighton from December, so no more trains to Manchester. That really only leaves Virgin, and Stagecoach. Virgin are apparently a good company to work for, and passengers seem to like them. South West Trains have been poaching Southern managers, so maybe they are planning a bid?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Yo. I thought they had comandeered a large sum of money to buy many new carriages*.

Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour/Southampton Central. The trains are always rammed on the way back and even worse when the usual trains are delayed. A large train (4+ carriages) passes through on the way to London, which is virtually empty for most of the journey.

* This of course could be made up, but I am certain I read that.

I think they have ordered extra carriages, certainly! Well I referenced these difficulties under the Dec07 changes as part of their fuckups.

I'm guessing they have underestimated demand by scheduling 3 carriage trains, and I'm guessing(given how it is bureaucratic those things work) they can't just change it. Of course I don't know because I only have the external view of these type of things.

They could always allocate extra carriages from the Watford Junction train, after all it is being cut short to South Croydon in December so I can imagine that will lop off a fair few customers!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Are these the works that will include demolishing The Only Pub In London, the Market Porter at Borough Market? Is that going to happen?

No, that won't happen.

The works are happening(at last), enabling works are being carried out already. But the Wheatscliff(sp?) pub is losing its top story.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, that's a bit of an voyage from their previous remit.

How is there any capacity to run to L.Bridge in peak? I thought it was clogged up as it was, hence why FCC run via Tulse/Herne Hill during peak periods..

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The 2 Brighton to London Bridge trains per hour will be off peak services.

Where has the extra capacity come from? I assume it is in the terminating part of the station, so has the Victoria/L. Bridge service been axed on South London Line

That is good news for me, I will be based on the Northern Line in London next year, so I won't have to get FCC anymore!:thumbsup:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Where has the extra capacity come from? I assume it is in the terminating part of the station, so has the Victoria/L. Bridge service been axed on South London Line

That is good news for me, I will be based on the Northern Line in London next year, so I won't have to get FCC anymore!:thumbsup:

I'm not exactly sure where the extra capacity has come from, but it's something to do with FCC not being able to use London Bridge due to the Thameslink 9000 upgrade.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not exactly sure where the extra capacity has come from, but it's something to do with FCC not being able to use London Bridge due to the Thameslink 9000 upgrade.

Is that from December 08 then? Any idea where it will stop?

It makes sense now, because the Borough Market work begins in March '09 apparently.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I don't use the trains THAT often but I've never had problems with Southern trains, and always seem to be on time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Thanks for the info gents, much appreciated - one more thing: will they be closing the through line for a while (i.e. not just at weekends or overnight) whilst they're doing the Thameslink upgrade work at London Bridge/Borough Market etc?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the info gents, much appreciated - one more thing: will they be closing the through line for a while (i.e. not just at weekends or overnight) whilst they're doing the Thameslink upgrade work at London Bridge/Borough Market etc?

I'd assume the whole thing has to shut, a la East London Line because it requires major bridge work and a whole new viaduct to be created! There is also major work to be done at Blackfriars too with the station extended to the South Bank.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Trains isnt their remit though and actually Connex ordered the 377s I think, and NR facilitated the rollout thanks to power upgrades?

They may be responsible for the smarter stations though! Sounds small but I think it makes a big difference, far more pleasant environment.

True. Was thinking that was more true, was a bit unsure about who ordered and set up the 377s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here