Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Meet-Up's bad for NSC?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Whilst it was all great at first I now get the impression that people have genuine contempt for those on here who have become friends?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Why?

I've made good friends that are people who post on NSC. Many of them I have met through other things, not necessarily football related, but they still happen to post on NSC.

NSC is just another thing that we do to pass the time between when we come out of our mothers fanny to when they seal the lid of our coffin.

Cheer up young Turkey. Perhaps you didn't have any friends before NSC but I am sure you have plenty now.

:jester:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The Large One said:
It would help if some of you lot were good looking. We have the DAFT bints, me, and... well, that's it really.

Well said, TLO, except its too early to get votes for "Most Charming Poster". Nice try though.:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The meet ups are good fun and meeting at matches is great too. Part of the problem is that afterwards many of the posters have photographs or anecdotes of how they travelled to matches or afterwards and the ones who aren't involved find it boring.

Maybe there should be a forum for meet ups and the social side of matches so that the ones who aren't involved can talk about the football and sex as they normally do.

There are not any cliques real or imagined here :lol:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Although i have never and will never go to a nsc meet up, i find that as soon as people get to know each other from websites they start to agree with each other for fear of offending the other person/people. Tends to stop arguements from getting started. And watching from a distance it can be very cliquey on here.

MRRF 10

hopkins said:
Although i have never and will never go to a nsc meet up, i find that as soon as people get to know each other from websites they start to agree with each other for fear of offending the other person/people. Tends to stop arguements from getting started. And watching from a distance it can be very cliquey on here.

its cliquey from what ever distance you look at it :dunce: :jester:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I disagree entirely so get stuffed :p

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
The meet ups aren't worth it. On here it's a laugh, it's an internet message board, sometimes when someone are having a laugh other people take it too heart. And when the people meet the culprits behind the user name, They say, Do you remember what you said? To fecking right.

I was looking at a thread earlier, the one about Cardiff, I saw a reply from a poster and it had about sitting next to singers, It hard Yorkie and friends, Turkey and friends, I was going to say, sod sitting next to Yorkie as it'll be like sitting next to Hilda Ogden (Corranation strret) But thought better not. Probably get banned as some people cant take a joke but like to dish it out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The meet-ups are hardly compulsory. Some people like them, some donä.t. The people that like them tend to go to them, and the people that dont, er, don.t.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Terrace Dandy said:
The meet ups aren't worth it. On here it's a laugh, it's an internet message board, sometimes when someone are having a laugh other people take it too heart. And when the people meet the culprits behind the user name, They say, Do you remember what you said? To fecking right.

I was looking at a thread earlier, the one about Cardiff, I saw a reply from a poster and it had about sitting next to singers, It hard Yorkie and friends, Turkey and friends, I was going to say, sod sitting next to Yorkie as it'll be like sitting next to Hilda Ogden (Corranation strret) But thought better not. Probably get banned as some people cant take a joke but like to dish it out.

you're not a glass half full chappie are you??

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
From an outsider's point of view, I can tell you that the 'meet-ups' are a clear indication of everything that's good about NSC.

The fact that I was warmly welcomed at the first one, having spent the previous 12 months taking the piss on here, said plenty.

I can assure you that the chances of our equivalent CCFC website staging a successful meet-up are a big, fat zero. It would be absolute chaos. And I bet that would be the same for most clubs' sites.

A good-sized group of your lot can get together and have a good night out, and 'away' fans can be assured of a warm welcome at such events too. Not only is that very healthy, but it's the way it should be.

Be proud of what you've achieved. The meet-ups are a credit to both NSC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC.

(PS: That said, one meet-up a year during the summer months would be the best way to go!)

I don't have contempt for any person on here at all. Jesus, life's far too short.

What I have contempt for is the fact that there now seems to a certain group of people that see themselves as THE voice of Brighton fans everywhere. It seems some individuals genuinely believe that NSC is the beginning and end of supporting The Albion. Bascially if you don't post on here then you're not part of supporting Brighton.

***STAT ATTACK: NSC has 2,084 registered members. The AMS has over 23,000 members.***

At times it's even suggested the number of games you attend has an effect on your 'status' as a fan. Tell you what, next season I'll move back home (again), quit my job, go to college and not spend any time with people away from football and I'LL make every match.

Don't get me wrong, NSC has been excellent for getting the Falmer campaign going again and also such things as the Forty Note Fund. What people have to realise though is that it's not NSC that is soley responsible for them.

Likewise there's nothing wrong with people making new friends through things involving NSC. What is wrong is when said group of people totally dominate proceedings, using this as their own personal chat room. (Most of us really don't care what someone might have done at 3am in the all-night cafe. You've obviously all got the internet, get on MSN and talk about it.)

NSC is the premier BHA message board, of that there is no doubt. And it probably always will be. However, it will never be as respected as it could be all the time it's being monopolised by a few. I wouldn't call it cliquiness, NSC is nowhere near as bad as it used to be for that. It's more a case of just being suffocated by shite.

In conclusion, in my opinion meet-ups are not bad for NSC. It's always nice to put a face to the name. It's those that believe that NSC is wholey representative of Albion fans, and the group of people living their lives on the board that is bad for NSC.

Yours,

Bridge burner of Eastbourne.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Safeway said:

Likewise there's nothing wrong with people making new friends through things involving NSC. What is wrong is when said group of people totally dominate proceedings, using this as their own personal chat room. (Most of us really don't care what someone might have done at 3am in the all-night cafe. You've obviously all got the internet, get on MSN and talk about it.)

Totally agree with this. Or start up a separate message board where EVERYONE knows each other like - dare I say it - NSP.

NSC has been the source of some fantastic ideas just because so many people post on it and it's so easy to get a ball rolling. I think that everyone knows that we are just a tiny, if active, percentage of Brighton fans though.

And I like the meet-ups and wish MORE people would come cos it's always good to meet Brighton fans!

:clap:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Safeway said:
What I have contempt for is the fact that there now seems to a certain group of people that see themselves as THE voice of Brighton fans everywhere. It seems some individuals genuinely believe that NSC is the beginning and end of supporting The Albion. Bascially if you don't post on here then you're not part of supporting Brighton.

I think that statement is bollocks and needs a lot more evidence to give it any credit.

Edit: I agree with the shit suffocation though. :lolol:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I supported the Albion long before I started coming on NSC, and I'd continue supporting them if NSC ever ceases to exist, so in that respect, this board isn't the be-all and end-all for me as far as supporting the Albion is concerned.

It is, however, one of the few websites I can actually access from work, and so as I'm basically a lazy twat, I end up spending a lot of time on here during the day especially. And it probably makes me sad, but I do find it addictive. There's so much crap on here that makes me laugh out loud, and there's also a lot of thought-provoking opinion. And I'm addicted to reading opinion. I read film reviews. I read newspaper columnists. I read sports columnists. I LOVE reading and digesting opinions, and this site is perfect for that, as it focusses on one of my great passions in life (the Albion) as well as a whole lot of other crap as well, and its damned entertaining.

I don't think NSC is representative of all Albion fans, any more than NSP, Always Skint, the Supporters Club, or any other group of fans. We all support the Albion in our own ways. Some don't have internet access and are oblivious to all this. Some do have access but simply don't bother with messageboards. Each to their own, its a matter of choice.

Spend enough time anywhere though, and you get familiar with people, to the point where you're actually comfortable meeting up and chatting with them face-to-face. I can't see how this could possibly be construed as a Bad Thing. Without NSC, I'd never have been involved with the Fanzine, with the demo at the bridge, with the sponsored match, and I'd have missed out sharing a beer and having a laugh with some damned fine people.

If thats a 'clique' then so be it. I enjoy it, and would never object to any new 'cliquey' members - at the end of the day, its just fans getting together and having a laugh. No-one, as far as I can see, is trying to be "The Voice of Brighton & Hove Albion". Its just shit & giggles, innit ?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No one is forced to meet up it is optional and perhaps one day it will be past its sell by date.

This isn't the "voice" at all but the majority of people do share one passion BHAFC.

The rest is upto individual interpretation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here