Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone want some free wood?

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
going to take a long time to clear up i spent 5 hours with seven other chap clearing wood from the harbour entrance and we collected about a pack (about a ton) and it was very heavy after soaking up lots of sea water

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm after as much 6 be 2 type stuff for my allotment as I can lay my filthy....I mean thrifty..... hands on ; quality unimportant.

Winds have been Westerly I do believe so I might just get a result. Have to take a stroll as soon as this Mali v Benin game is over.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh well, Mali got lucky there with dodgy pen. Personally hoping for a draw from this one to do Super Eagles a favour after the Kalou debacle :eek:(

Here goes. Hat and scarf on, borrow a mates dog in case the filth are about asking akward questions, and lets see what lovely timber awaits.

Can't wait !........

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I called the police when a kid threw a stone at my car. They took FIVE MINUTES to turn up.

And you pay their WAGES too.

Lazy bastards. Probably eating lunch or something.

:p

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Look at the pictures, it's all knotty pine - Not good quality at all - good for an AGA and thats about it..

Oh no its not.I have just been down for a gander.It is sawn joinery timber.Not the shite you buy in B&Q which is fast grown crap.This is joinery quality.I worked in a joiners shop for 8 years and this is the sort of stuff we used to buy in by the pack load.naturally it has some knots in it.from what i could see it all looked like it was pretty straight still too!.must be worth millions!.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
It'll all warp though once its dried out. And laden with salt you will have to use rust resistant fixings to put it together.

I patrolled along from Brighton to Shoreham today, loads of wood everywhere with not a contractor in sight. I gave words of advice to a few people clearly in the process of taking the wood with the info that what they did once I'd gone was up to them. In my opinion they are helping the clear up since at the next high tide a lot will be washed back out into the sea creating a hazard again. Mind you I'm not measured on detections, I have heard accounts of some of my detection driven colleagues giving out cautions for 'Theft by finding' jjst to bump uo their statistics, sad really and not very good PR in my book.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Arf...!

Just what i expect from a trainee chippy - if you can't see that it's shite timber that going to be f***ed and twisted by the time it dries out all that salt water, then best you change career - better still, i'm looking for a bod to help out, pass the left handed screwdriver please kiddo..!
:lol:

Yee-haa, stick to metal pipes you cowboy!

It's clear that this is quality sawn joinery timber,not the shite that you attempt to bodge bathrooms with from B+Q.Theres obviously going to be knots so when you've got me the skyhook from B+Q can you fetch the striped paint from the van.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Some of the timber is of such poor quality, I would suspect fraud. What nationality were the crew? Not blaming them, but it might be a rust bucket on its last trip and everybody but the crew knew it.

Captian Pugwash

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
May I say what an absolutely marvellous phenomenenenemumn Long Shore Drift is ! :D

Will do for my raised beds a treat thank you very kindly.

I can appreciate blocking off beaches to the resourceful when there's tons of the stuff and machinery about, but when there's no safety risk it's fair game in my book.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Massive great hulks of timber are not "winkles and other sea food".

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-e...s_row_receiver_of_wreck/mcga-dops_row_law.htm

Thanks for the link TCoPB. The following is from that link :

>Finders who report their finds to the Receiver of Wreck have salvage rights. The Receiver of Wreck acts to settle questions of ownership and salvage.<

Seems to me then that so long as anyone...... "report their finds"..... they are quite entitled to hold onto it until....."The receiver of Wreck acts to settle questions of ownershio and salvage."

Now ask yourself this. Who do you think The receiver of wrecks is going to grant ownership of, say, a roof rack full of sodden washed up broken planks to ? :bigwave:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Going down on my bike to pick up a plank. Its the principle that counts. It is common land and common property.

Worse case of fly-tipping on common land since the Torrey Canyon. Even worse than the South Downs Conservation Board fencing off and contaminating Telscombe Tye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here