Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] anyone up for an OFFICIAL fan boycot of the Brentford boxing day game ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes but that was an early kick off so running trains etc would have been a lot easier than asking drivers to give up their Boxing Day evening to operate the trains and the busses! When this was announced yesterday, I asked my bus driver friend who drives for the bus company if he would work Boxingday evening and his reply was very fruitful in its language.

If there is a very much reduced park and ride option then this will be another game that I will take a dip out of

I’m sure it’s not going to be easy but I’m just speculating as to what the clubs are going to offer based on previous fixtures and the agreement to go ahead with the game (with the police). Where I assume feasibility of a bus operation will have been discussed with bus providers before the ok was given (“can you supply x number of buses at y time on Boxing Day night ? )

But yes. I don’t know - except I’m assuming more park and rides, parking, shuttle buses and subsidised coaches for Brentford fans.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not a lot of use aiming a boycott at the live event. That hits the club, not the broadcaster and its the broadcaster that has the power. If football fans want these stupid Christmas KO times to change they need to be arranging a boycott of the televised fixtures. For maximum effect it needs to be national, it needs to be aimed at all Boxing Day games. The message would need to be 'Don't schedule them because we won't watch them. Don't pay for advertising because we won't be watching.' I can't see it happening.

Not sure how it "hits the club". It still gets our ST money anyway whether we show up or not. Plus the club will potentially get additional fees through the ticket exchange.

It therefore doesn't really impact at all on the club finances ergo the club won't care whether we (can) turn up or not.

Any boycott would be masked by the club manipulating the attendance figures to make it look like we had a full house anyway.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Of all the games and KO times that are inconvenient, an evening KO on a non-work day that's followed by 2 bank holidays is not high up my list. And I'm certainly not going to boycott it when I've already paid about £32 pro-rata for the game.

I know we've had our issues with club owners and footballing authorities in the past, but all this moaning while we sit in 4th place in the Premier League is starting to make us sound like Liverpool or Newcastle fans.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A few seasons ago Liverpool fans got their game against (IIRC) Arsenal moved from a Christmas Eve 5.30 kick off because the transport would have been non-existent, so it can happen.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A few seasons ago Liverpool fans got their game against (IIRC) Arsenal moved from a Christmas Eve 5.30 kick off because the transport would have been non-existent, so it can happen.

Did they? Do you have any evidence of this? I'm slightly skeptical that it was fan pressure that got it moved, if indeed it was moved. Not doubting your point.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think I remember that. Christmas Eve however is a different kettle of fish and everyone is either frantically doing last-minute wrapping or food prep, and lots will be travelling. Boxing day is a day that you'd normally want to get out the house though, and no work or school the next day makes an evening KO almost ideal.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I wonder if we're a bit further down the pecking order

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There must be a reasonable chance of an additional park and ride from Sainsburys West Hove for this one.

If memory serves me right that P&R was in place for one of the previous Boxing Day matches (probably wrong as my memory is rubbish).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think a boycott.

The club, ie TB has done enough for us so he doesn't deserve to lose out revenue-wise on ticket sales and catering etc

But I think a few carefully positioned banners in full view of the sky cameras would be a good idea.

Ahh yeh, you're not allowed to bring in anything bigger than a4 paper.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Not sure how it "hits the club". It still gets our ST money anyway whether we show up or not. Plus the club will potentially get additional fees through the ticket exchange.

It therefore doesn't really impact at all on the club finances ergo the club won't care whether we (can) turn up or not.

Any boycott would be masked by the club manipulating the attendance figures to make it look like we had a full house anyway.

You’re being a bit harsh here. The club probably have little or no say as to when the match will take place as they have to abide by the contractual agreement with the PL/TV companies. The club, I’m sure, would rather have a 3.00 or 12.30 kick off to avoid the logistical nightmare of putting on the extra buses, operating more P&R sites and somehow getting everyone out of the Amex at the ungodly hour of 10.00pm on a Boxing Day Sunday.

On top of that the club would then have to recruit match day staff to be present for the game and after - I can’t see many volunteers for that gig. The comment about the manipulating attendance figures is bollocks. It has been said many times before that attendance figures with all PL clubs is based on ticket sales not bums on seats. Of course the club care whether fans can turn up, purely from the fact that it would generate extra income from sales at the catering kiosks and purchases at the club shop. Added to that you have a PR aspect in which first time visitors to see the Albion (being the Christmas holidays) might be influenced to come to future games.

I could go on but I prefer to be positive about the club I support, I somehow don’t think you are of the same mind.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I don't think a boycott.

The club, ie TB has done enough for us so he doesn't deserve to lose out revenue-wise on ticket sales and catering etc

But I think a few carefully positioned banners in full view of the sky cameras would be a good idea.

Ahh yeh, you're not allowed to bring in anything bigger than a4 paper.

100 people bring a sheet of A4 in each, and someone brings a roll of tape?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If this was an away game in London, it would take far longer to get there and get home than a boxing day evening game at Falmer. However, the away allocation would still be snapped up by the first couple of loyalty point tiers and people would be complaining that they haven't got a fair shot of being able to buy an away ticker.

Choose your battles. Suggestions of anti-club protests are, quite frankly, ridiculous at this current high point in our history.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

There's a sizeable income from match day sales. Think some time ago it was mentioned that we had one of the highest which I think averaged at £10 per spectator. If that were still the case, an average 'attendence' of say 26k would generate sales of £260k.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
On accepting TV money clubs cant moan whenever games are scheduled. With no trains on Boxing day however discussions should take place with TV as this is unreasonable for all supporters traveling from away.
On a personal note we always have people staying over Christmas and as there is always someone that sits near us for family reasons unable to go I have always been able to take someone staying with us to the game. Not sure if I will go this time as even I will not have nerve to be only one going. Old chestnut I know but doesnt help I would have to ask visiting family member for £25 to become a member.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If this was an away game in London, it would take far longer to get there and get home than a boxing day evening game at Falmer. However, the away allocation would still be snapped up by the first couple of loyalty point tiers and people would be complaining that they haven't got a fair shot of being able to buy an away ticker.

Choose your battles. Suggestions of anti-club protests are, quite frankly, ridiculous at this current high point in our history.

Couldn't agree more.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Getting back from a match in the earlyish evening sits ok with me on a Boxing Day but late night is pushing it. There’s a point where a selfish football supporter such as myself gives way to family at some point isn’t there? (after disappearing to Manchester, Southampton etc in the previous weeks)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There's a sizeable income from match day sales. Think some time ago it was mentioned that we had one of the highest which I think averaged at £10 per spectator. If that were still the case, an average 'attendence' of say 26k would generate sales of £260k.

Hasn’t the club already sold the catering rights at a fixed price ? At least that’s what’s been said on here before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here