Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] anyone up for an OFFICIAL fan boycot of the Brentford boxing day game ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We all know the armchair football ‘fans’ far outweigh the ticket buyers, it would make no difference if fans that went to games cancelled subscriptions.

I can understand why any fan is moaning because the game is being played at 8pm on Boxing Day.
I’m sure many fans would have been fine with some sort of afternoon kick off.

You carry on happy clapping and shouting whoop de doo…..because you are obviously over the f***** moon with this kick off time :facepalm:

Exactly. Sky's marketplace is pubs and Man Utd fans who couldn't even find Old Trafford, not me, you and [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] . And how are fans who were too young to go to Withdean and away games early in the Amex era supposed to see away games now that the club aren't taking the full allocation? It only leaves the live games or illegal methods. And it was the same in lockdown. Everyone got a dog and everyone got a Sports subscription.

Plus, anyone who gets Virgin Media as their TV and broadband supplier gets BT Sport thrown in. What's your average game attending football fan supposed to do? "No thanks Mr Broadband Installer, please leave all the other services but disconnect BT Sport because I don't agree with 12,30 kick offs on a Saturday"? :facepalm:

But, talking of lockdown, it showed just what a poor product football is without the fans. Fans have much more power than they think. Boycotting the stupider kick off times isn't really that bad an idea.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Given the fixture was confirmed hours ago - then any bespoke or extra transport options won’t be listed.

Well there be special transport of some nature - yes of course there will be or the scheduling won’t have been agreed with the police, the clubs or Sky. Buses, coaches, park and rides, car parking, and potentially trains will be announced in due course.

Will you be able to get a train though from Norfolk and back or Manchester and back ? No. But that was always a long shot given the fixture was scheduled for Boxing Day back in June.

And some fans were never going to want to go to a match on Boxing Day for personal reasons.

PS: I’m not suggesting it’s ideal at all especially for long distance fans but it’s wrong to insist that there will be no option to get there and back for most.

Seem to recall a previous Boxing Day match at the Amex where folks had much the same concerns about the trains. In the event there was a Brighton-Falmer-Lewes shuttle service running pretty much every five minutes both before and after the game. Ran like clockwork. Mind you, that game wasn't an 8pm kickoff

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We all know the armchair football ‘fans’ far outweigh the ticket buyers, it would make no difference if fans that went to games cancelled subscriptions.

I can understand why any fan is moaning because the game is being played at 8pm on Boxing Day.
I’m sure many fans would have been fine with some sort of afternoon kick off.

You carry on happy clapping and shouting whoop de doo…..because you are obviously over the f***** moon with this kick off time :facepalm:

People moan every year re Boxing Day whatever the kick off time. There usually are no trains so it's always a bugger to get to.

Also, I'm not claiming to be happy with the kick off time but it is what it is however the usual crowd will whinge about it on a forum but do nothing!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's all a bit one rule for them...
So you cannot televise a 3pm game for fear of impacting attendances.
But you can choose to televise a match at a time that I'd guess around half of people cannot attend.

Not that anyone will be bothered to revisit this in a couple of months time.
But just in case they do I think this will look particularly pearl clutching with added swoon to the floor.

Of course it's a stupid kick off time.
The game won't sell out.
The exchange won't be opened.
There will be a noticeable amount of empty seats.

16,000 empty seats. :facepalm:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My thoughts exactly this morning sadly

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Judging from this board I think there is discontent on a number of fronts at the moment. It’s just moaning though if there is nothing to be done about it. However, since the extra seats went in over the Summer these moans can be turned into action. There is no problem getting tickets on a match by match basis as the scales have tipped in favour of supply. We know that if we make the decision to not renew that we will go less and less as it is having a ST that makes you feel a part of it and willing to put yourself out with a long journey. Lots of people will be faced with this decision in March.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
People moan every year re Boxing Day whatever the kick off time. There usually are no trains so it's always a bugger to get to.

Also, I'm not claiming to be happy with the kick off time but it is what it is however the usual crowd will whinge about it on a forum but do nothing!!!

Someone has just pointed out on the other thread there have only been 2 home matches on Boxing Day since the Amex opened. 1 PL and the other Championship.

Having a look at Twitter yesterday evening I don’t think it’s just the “usual crowd” that are not happy.

When there is a thread about transport nightmares getting to and home from the Boxing Day match, you will probably be telling fellow fans to stop moaning and they shouldn’t have gone…..:lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly. Sky's marketplace is pubs and Man Utd fans who couldn't even find Old Trafford, not me, you and [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] . And how are fans who were too young to go to Withdean and away games early in the Amex era supposed to see away games now that the club aren't taking the full allocation? It only leaves the live games or illegal methods. And it was the same in lockdown. Everyone got a dog and everyone got a Sports subscription.

Plus, anyone who gets Virgin Media as their TV and broadband supplier gets BT Sport thrown in. What's your average game attending football fan supposed to do? "No thanks Mr Broadband Installer, please leave all the other services but disconnect BT Sport because I don't agree with 12,30 kick offs on a Saturday"? :facepalm:

But, talking of lockdown, it showed just what a poor product football is without the fans. Fans have much more power than they think. Boycotting the stupider kick off times isn't really that bad an idea.

Boycotting the stupider times only hits the club. As you say, Sky won't be bothered as they'll still show the game. It would only affect them if the boycott including not watching the game on sky so it hits their viewing figures and therefore their advertising revenue. But that won't happen because, judging by your post, if you boycott the game you'll still watch it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging from this board I think there is discontent on a number of fronts at the moment. It’s just moaning though if there is nothing to be done about it. However, since the extra seats went in over the Summer these moans can be turned into action. There is no problem getting tickets on a match by match basis as the scales have tipped in favour of supply. We know that if we make the decision to not renew that we will go less and less as it is having a ST that makes you feel a part of it and willing to put yourself out with a long journey. Lots of people will be faced with this decision in March.

Not if the team has maintained a league position near their current place and there hasn't been kick off time shithousing 24 hours before decision time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Someone has just pointed out on the other thread there have only been 2 home matches on Boxing Day since the Amex opened. 1 PL and the other Championship.

Having a look at Twitter yesterday evening I don’t think it’s just the “usual crowd” that are not happy.

When there is a thread about transport nightmares getting to and home from the Boxing Day match, you will probably be telling fellow fans to stop moaning and they shouldn’t have gone…..:lolol:

No, people can comment about their transport nightmares for the game, at least they would have gone.

As for boxing day games, we might have only played twice at the amex but we have had away games that have been affected by the lack of transport.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boycotting the stupider times only hits the club. As you say, Sky won't be bothered as they'll still show the game. It would only affect them if the boycott including not watching the game on sky so it hits their viewing figures and therefore their advertising revenue. But that won't happen because, judging by your post, if you boycott the game you'll still watch it.

I think you missed the two earlier posts where I said I will be at a friend's family party as we are every Boxing Day. A lunchtime kickoff would have allowed me to attend both but an 8pm kick off means I shall neither be at the game nor watching on the telly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

But as has been pointed out several times there aren’t enough match going fans to make a difference to sky viewing figures or revenues. They make their money abroad and from pubs and armchair fans. It’s certainly going to be a bit pointless for [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] to make a one man protest. There will be plenty of people watching on sky but that does not invalidate their point of view. Personally, the Brentford KO time makes no difference to me but the bigger picture of multiple switches to difficult times does do so because of the traveling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you missed the two earlier posts where I said I will be at a friend's family party as we are every Boxing Day. A lunchtime kickoff would have allowed me to attend both but an 8pm kick off means I shall neither be at the game nor watching on the telly.

Apologies, I did miss that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, people can comment about their transport nightmares for the game, at least they would have gone.

As for boxing day games, we might have only played twice at the amex but we have had away games that have been affected by the lack of transport.

I knew you would mention away games.
Nobody buys a season ticket for away games obviously, away games are attended by a maximum of 3,000 away fans.
Many of us that have paid for a season ticket will now feel like we are going to miss out on the Boxing Day home game or take a chance with the transport system.
Many fans won’t have the option to travel using public transport.

I for one would not be moaning about transport issues for an away game on Boxing Day because I would not have bought a ticket.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
FFS a 150 mile round trip to Gillingham and they give us a 20:00 kick off on Boxing Day - Boycott.

No wait a second we play in Brighton now don't we? PUSSIES!!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
PB emailed me back within 15 mins of sending last night responding to my Albion in the Community suggestion for those that can’t make it.

Citied the obvious challenges of 7 games in December to organise but said he would discuss with the ticketing team.

Fair enough for responding so quickly

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brighton had an early evening kick off on Boxing Day only three years ago. The ground was full , some trains ran, plenty of coaches and park and rides were in existence to ferry people there probably with greater ease than on Saturday afternoons. . Even Jurgen locadia scored so miracles do happen.
The idea that this is a shocking novelty - it’s not. Sky (and now BT and Amazon) have been scheduling Christmas football for decades. It’s good for their ratings to have multiple evening matches. Bigger audiences.
Even Brighton /Brentford .
The club agree to it, both Brentford and Brighton will work with the police and transport providers to get everyone there and back - including trains - and it will not be , by any stretch , the lowest attendance ever.

Yes but that was an early kick off so running trains etc would have been a lot easier than asking drivers to give up their Boxing Day evening to operate the trains and the busses! When this was announced yesterday, I asked my bus driver friend who drives for the bus company if he would work Boxingday evening and his reply was very fruitful in its language.

If there is a very much reduced park and ride option then this will be another game that I will take a dip out of

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It seems that a train option is going to be a nightmare for me, so the car it has to be. Previously, for evening games, I would drive to Hove station and use the car park there, then train to Brighton and Falmer. At the time Mithras House was closed for building work. I am assuming (hoping!) that the club and Southern have negotiated a shuttle service for Brighton-Falmer-Lewes even if scheduled services are cancelled. My fall back option is the P&R. Any idea if and where there will be additional sites? I’ll be coming down the A23 rather than from Southampton for this gig so any helpful info. would be much appreciated.

There must be a reasonable chance of an additional park and ride from Sainsburys West Hove for this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here