Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thinking of kicking the coffin nails into touch after today ?

Oct 25, 2003
my points of weakness are going to be:

1) my morning coffee + cigarette is as my second favourite activity after sex

2) i enjoy one after a meal

3) this is the biggest one, when I'm out drinking....because a) there seems to be something in alcohol with trebles my need for a fag, and b) the smoking areas of bars and clubs always seem to be filled with the people I most want to talk to

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Still spend more helping those who have gone down ill with smoking related illness than they make in tax though.

I'm hoping it will be the end for me too, Had a nasty chest infection the last week or so and haven't smoked I was hoping to use it as a platform to quit from and then this, Just helps a little bit more.

9 days and counting.

At what point can you say your a non smoker? 6 months? a year?

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
[MENTION=21347]JamesAndTheGiantHead[/MENTION] make them smoke 20 tabs at once then see if they still want to smoke!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Still spend more helping those who have gone down ill with smoking related illness than they make in tax though.

I'm hoping it will be the end for me too, Had a nasty chest infection the last week or so and haven't smoked I was hoping to use it as a platform to quit from and then this, Just helps a little bit more.

9 days and counting.

At what point can you say your a non smoker? 6 months? a year?
You never truly are. It's so easy to get back to smoking your usual amount within a couple of weeks. You will even find you will smoke more to fill the void in your lungs.

It's breaking the habit. I had cravings up until around a year. Obviously the intensity is worse at the beginning.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Start it. I am in. 10 left out of 20 and then it's over. I hope.

The 'I hope' bit indicates you won't see this through and will find another excuse for not stopping.

To put it bluntly you will need to want to stop smoking and be positive in what you are doing is the right thing for you.

Firstly, look into when you smoke then start cutting these out until you are left with one or two a day, then stop smoking these. Just giving up will not work. Start getting rid of the ones in the morning, then start getting into the habit of not smoking during breaks at work or any other time when you habitually light up. Far easier to stop when you're down to one or two a day rather than trying to finish the packet off as quickly as possible. Teach yourself to refuse when pissed - once that happens you know you're on the right track, if you start thinking one won't do any harm then you are an idiot and will fail.

Be prepared for the cravings for the first couple of weeks. Get in plenty of fruit and every time you feel like a smoke eat something. As mentioned above, oranges, clementines and tangerines are good both for the vitamins and for giving your hands something to do. It will also prevent you from piling on the pounds. It takes about three weeks for these to die down completely.

Will power is still the best weapon available to you, there are plenty of products on the market to reduce you nicotine intake but these didn't exist when I gave up in the late 80s or my parents kicked their 30 day a habit in the mid 1970s. If you start looking around for excuses you will fail.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
The 'I hope' bit indicates you won't see this through and will find another excuse for not stopping.

To put it bluntly you will need to want to stop smoking and be positive in what you are doing is the right thing for you.

Firstly, look into when you smoke then start cutting these out until you are left with one or two a day, then stop smoking these. Just giving up will not work. Start getting rid of the ones in the morning, then start getting into the habit of not smoking during breaks at work or any other time when you habitually light up. Far easier to stop when you're down to one or two a day rather than trying to finish the packet off as quickly as possible. Teach yourself to refuse when pissed - once that happens you know you're on the right track, if you start thinking one won't do any harm then you are an idiot and will fail.

Be prepared for the cravings for the first couple of weeks. Get in plenty of fruit and every time you feel like a smoke eat something. As mentioned above, oranges, clementines and tangerines are good both for the vitamins and for giving your hands something to do. It will also prevent you from piling on the pounds. It takes about three weeks for these to die down completely.

Will power is still the best weapon available to you, there are plenty of products on the market to reduce you nicotine intake but these didn't exist when I gave up in the late 80s or my parents kicked their 30 day a habit in the mid 1970s. If you start looking around for excuses you will fail.

Good post.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
20 fags is the same price as 2 pints... when you put it like that... it doesn't seem that dear.

All this "if I saved this/that" is bollocks, if you stopped drinking or stopped going Brighton games, you'd save money. But you don't, because it's something you want to do.

We're all dying anyway, so crack on. :rave:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
On reflection, how would a league table actually work? Points for weeks without a cigarette? Surely if someone 'drops points' then they've fallen off the wagon anyway. ???

Also, the top 4 could go to Europe and not smoke there as a reward*.

*At their own cost.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
20 fags is the same price as 2 pints... when you put it like that... it doesn't seem that dear.

All this "if I saved this/that" is bollocks, if you stopped drinking or stopped going Brighton games, you'd save money. But you don't, because it's something you want to do.

We're all dying anyway, so crack on. :rave:

this is true, lets make the anti smokers give up going to watch the footy because if you think about it is far more expensive then buying fags. but then again i have'nt got a high horse to sit on and tell people what to do

Oct 25, 2003
On reflection, how would a league table actually work? Points for weeks without a cigarette? Surely if someone 'drops points' then they've fallen off the wagon anyway. ???

*At their own cost.

points for weeks without, and if you smoke you go back to zero....whoever has the most points this time next year wins?

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009

*At their own cost.

10 points for a week without a fag, minus 10 for smoking and whoever has the most points wins at the end of 12 months?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I always used to stock up on fags when on holiday in Greece as fags over there are about half the price they are over here. I found that by buying both mine and my wife's full allowance I was able to stop buying fags in the UK until about a month or so before going on holiday again. That was when the "allowance" in the EU was 3200 each but the sneaky buggers have stealthily reduced it in October last year from 3200 to 800 !! Now there isn't actually a limit as such but they will question you (and probably take them off you) if they find you've got more than that number in your possession.

D

Deleted member 18477

Read, "The Only Way to Definitely Give up Smoking" by Alan Carr. It's how I gave up, and five of my mates - 100% record amongst my friends who have read it.

the books incredible. i have friends who read that and gave up too. so i HAD to read it myself to see what the hell he had wrote. genius book that should be read to school children at secondary school.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
3 points for a week without a cigarette, 1 point if you only have one, 0 if you smoke more than once? Goal difference dictated by the number of fags for and against?

D

Deleted member 18477

this is true, lets make the anti smokers give up going to watch the footy because if you think about it is far more expensive then buying fags. but then again i have'nt got a high horse to sit on and tell people what to do

football costs you £395-£1000(1901's) . smoking 20 a day would cost you £2555 at £7 a packet. you could probably have a ST and attend ALL away games for the same price as smoking. maybe even cheaper...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here