Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thinking of kicking the coffin nails into touch after today ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Read, "The Only Way to Definitely Give up Smoking" by Alan Carr. It's how I gave up, and five of my mates - 100% record amongst my friends who have read it.

Thanks Tim. I will check that out.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
I appreciate and am very touched with your concern but I have not been diagnosed with clinical depression and the " little solider " demeaning comment was the one that showed that it was a trolling post.

Are you kidding? Are you now saying you don't have depression because I seem to recall more than one occasion when you've discussed your depression at length. In fact, on this thread here less than 2 months ago you even discussed what medication you were on Depression - Page 6

This ring any bells?

Good luck mate. Keep battling on. The reason I raised this was I have been on Citalopram at 20mg for 10 weeks and went cold turkey 10 days ago. I have been experiencing brain fog and brain zaps which looking at people's experiences of withdrawals seems to be common.

Let me put this simply: You are addicted to fags. You should speak to your doctor before putting your body and mind through the stresses of giving up cigarettes. How thin-skinned do you have to be to take 'woah, little soldier' as trolling? It was a light-hearted comment that I particularly like from Hot Shots (part 1 or 2, I can't recall).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes I have and still have periods of depression and added to the thread to try and help others. It just seemed that you were taking advantage of the situation. The " little soldier " comment to me is deameaning and if it was made in a kind way I apologise. I accept you posted in good faith.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And I am very thinned skinned but that's me. I guess I won't change.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Yes I have and still have periods of depression and added to the thread to try and help others. It just seemed that you were taking advantage of the situation. The " little soldier " comment to me is deameaning and if it was made in a kind way I apologise. I accept you posted in good faith.

Erm...okay. Good luck.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway no hard feelings Joey.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm on day two of my quit Gareth. I gave up for two years before :(

My health has got worse since changing to rolling baccy to save money.

Just recently had a really bad chest infection which i found hard to shift.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm on day two of my quit Gareth. I gave up for two years before :(

My health has got worse since changing to rolling baccy to save money.

Just recently had a really bad chest infection which i found hard to shift.

Good luck algie. Keep us updated.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you tried to give up or even researched it before? Have you heard of that book before?

I have heard of it, The way I see it , is , it's down to you, to do it and want to do it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Good on you. If you really want to, you will. There has to be a cast iron reason for taking the decision, and I don't mean the usual New Years resolutions. The two main reasons are 1; Health & 2; Cost. I did it budget day 1981 on the reason of cost [increase of 12p a packet to 72p] with a little health thrown in. No patches & state aid then just will power to succeed. Strangely the humble orange took the cravings away when temptation arose, I guess it's the citric acid that helps. Anyway 30 years down the line & since the last 'snout' I never faltered & ended up retired, with a villa in Spain & 16 orange trees....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sorry to say that I don't have a lot of faith in you pulling this off US.

However, I hope you take that like a football manager when his team gets some criticism. Take those words and "pin them on the dressing room wall" and shove them down my throat.

Good luck.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The supermarkets have to follow new regulations on sale of tobacco products which come into force next month , corner shops have 2 years grace. Sale to an under 18 means a £5,000 fine and up to 2 years imprisonment. Cigars , cigarettes and rolling tobacco cannot be on open display so it is now under the counter or behind a shutter. Customers have to ask for the brand they want , if its not in stock they have to choose another as no advice can be given. Customers have to state the size of cigarette they want if the brand comes in different sizes (King Size or Superkings) and cannot be guided by the server. A list of tobacco products tells the customer what the price is as the shelf price cannot be shown and the server cannot advise the customer what the price is before the transaction is made.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm sorry to say that I don't have a lot of faith in you pulling this off US.

However, I hope you take that like a football manager when his team gets some criticism. Take those words and "pin them on the dressing room wall" and shove them down my throat.

Good luck.

Thanks Bozza.

I think !

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm not allowed to be drinking on my medication so I'll carry on smoking heavily and enjoy it.

f*** the Government.

Go your own way mate. You know I am 100% behind you.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I keep telling myself I'm going to stop but never do, I made the switch from tailors to baccy about 5 years ago to save money,

Now I have a mate who goes abroad regularly and brings back baccy for me at cost price so I now spend £6 a week instead of £5 a day.

My lungs feel ok but I feel my windpipe is narrowed and wheeze when sleeping according to the missus.

I had a nightmare that my missus got cancer the other night and it scared me and put me in a foul mood for a few days which is unusual for me to be affected like that.

I have a stop date pencilled in on my calender to stop now. And I'm gonna try my best to stick to it.

Work is going to be the worst place for me. We were still smoking inside until November until someone threatened to tell the council, bbut my bosses attitude is, "it's my factory, I own it, and I'll do what I damn well like in it" been great for us smokers, even now we go out for a fag whenever we feel like it, there's no dedicated fag breaks etc.

I really really hope I can and the best of luck to anyone who gives up successfully.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Did three months last year and then realised I was spending more money on patches and refills for my electronic cigarette and nicotine inhaler that I actually saved money by starting to smoke again.

Not that I wanted to. Would also like to try and quit again soon, although I can't just drop everything, need a few weeks of mental preparation first.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Gave up six year's ago using the patches. You need to want to give up, that's the key. sorry to state the bleeding obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here