Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thing poyet is signing players for the short term.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
While I agree with every word, I think the concern is just the age of the players and there worth to the club at the end of there contracts.
We have a fantastic academy and hopefully one which will rival Palace's very soon but will these young players get the opportunity when you can bring in the finished product so cheaply.
Can't wait to watch our tippy-tappy football but hopefully it will include some home produced players.

Agree with you there and I think we have a few coming through with real promise - Barker, Dickensen, Rogers, Sampayo, Kasim and JFC (of course). I can see three or four of those progressing into the league which would be a fair success but as Premier League and La Liga sides start to offload older players to begin the process of edging towards FFP it will get tougher for kids to compete. Experience versus cost is a difficult equation to balance if your club has ambition

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks like he is trying to make an impact quickly then bugger off and leave us with an old side???
Last nights activity reminded me of a drunken old gunsligner walking into a bar in the old wild west. Bang,bang,bang, bang he goes, shoots his load off everywhere, hits a few targets, some good ones and one who got in the way. But ultimately he missed who he was looking for and now he maybe out of bullets.
If you two aren't doing anything tonight, fancy joining me for a few beers, my shout? I'm far too happy at the moment, all ying no yang, so maybe you miseries can bring balance to my life.

Don't worry - if he doesn't slow down immediately he won't be posting much more.
Don't stop at one Bozza.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He needs a squad that can get us promoted and having players here who are only Championship stadard is no use to him after we go up as champions. Once promoted we will have to change a large number of the squad so short-term plan is fine with me

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Agree with you there and I think we have a few coming through with real promise - Barker, Dickensen, Rogers, Sampayo, Kasim and JFC (of course). I can see three or four of those progressing into the league which would be a fair success but as Premier League and La Liga sides start to offload older players to begin the process of edging towards FFP it will get tougher for kids to compete. Experience versus cost is a difficult equation to balance if your club has ambition
I'm glad that I am not the one who balances the clubs books, do the Albion invest in experience or youth. We haven't had a fantastic track record of bringing in youth over the years and have always had to sell our better young players to balance the books. Hopefully times are changing at the club and in time we will see a balance of old pros and young guns.
Of the players you have mentioned I can only see JFC breaking into the First team Squad and the others being shipped out.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you two aren't doing anything tonight, fancy joining me for a few beers, my shout? I'm far too happy at the moment, all ying no yang, so maybe you miseries can bring balance to my life.

Don't stop at one Bozza.

If you read back my friend, you will see that Bozza liked my analogy about last night. I think it's quite an amuseing image in the imagination. Poyet the drunken gunslinger lol.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you read back my friend, you will see that Bozza liked my analogy about last night.
I don't care what Bozza likes. If your post had been a one off from you, I might have seen the funny side, but you're always so negative I assume you're either fishing or mad. I'm totally delighted with the signings we've made this summer. Apart from centre backs we've improved in every single area, yet you're posting like it's all a bit shit. So, you free for a beer or not?

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
This is a load of horse shit and sounds like the OP has played championship/football manager too much.

There appears to be some sort of misconception based on footballers are only good in their early to mid 20s, which if you know anything about football is nonsense.
Clearly you don't play enough Football Manager. You should always sign players in their late 20s as they'll be cheaper than the youngsters, will give you a good few years and the regens are shite. :D

Really though, we've got a team that should be competitive in this league for another 3 years at the very least. I expect we'll start looking more at the long term as we go forward.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Come back Withdean Wanderer , all is forgiven.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
'You win nothing with kids' said a certain Mr Hansen.

Gus can only buy what we can afford. He has gone for quality with modest transfer fees and ageing players, who are not necessarily demanding 'top whack'. The players though are not too old and football is now a squad game with strength on the bench a vital factor. Furthermore there are many more injuries in the game today so squad strength is essential.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think that last season, especially away from home, we got bullied in the midfield. I feel that with Crofts and Hammond we have addressed this issue, as for Dobbie, I think he is just what we need (an experienced Championship striker) who again looks more likely to do the bullying than be bullied. I think any reference to age from the OP, shows a lack of understanding of what TB and Gus are trying to achieve. As for what Kevthe rev is saying about a big man, Gus may well have secured somebody on loan, but for any number of reasons may not be able to announce anything just yet.

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
It's quite simple if you think about it ROTR. The players you really want get 2/3 year deals, the other 1 year loans then have to proove themselves. Plus, he also needs
cover for Vincente in case of injury or if he goes next year. You never know we may not need to rely on Vicente with Orlandi or Lopez.
Doubt if many manangers could have signed Lopez anyway as he does not speak any English. Mucho Bueno Gus...........................

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Last nights activity reminded me of a drunken old gunsligner walking into a bar in the old wild west. Bang,bang,bang, bang he goes, shoots his load off everywhere, hits a few targets, some good ones and one who got in the way. But ultimately he missed who he was looking for and now he maybe out of bullets.

No he is'nt, they are blanks like you

Rev makes a valid point to be fair.

We all know that Poyet has ambitions to manage at a higher level than Brighton, and i'm not talking about just being in the Premiership I'm talking about having a crack at one of the big clubs.

The players we have got in have been pretty well hand picked by Gus to be able to play his style of football and to be fair the average age of them is probably higher than most other clubs.

What happens if Gus goes and the next manager wants a different style, will these players be able to adapt or will we have to start from scratch again?

It's certainly worth pondering.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Clearly you don't play enough Football Manager. You should always sign players in their late 20s as they'll be cheaper than the youngsters, will give you a good few years and the regens are shite. :D

Really though, we've got a team that should be competitive in this league for another 3 years at the very least. I expect we'll start looking more at the long term as we go forward.

You know what I mean.... the wonder kids on FM that score bazillion goals a season from midfield. (not the regens but the ones that get picked up in the first few seasons that cost TONS)

Defo agree with the competitive team statement though :)

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
What happens if Gus goes and the next manager wants a different style, will these players be able to adapt or will we have to start from scratch again?
Eh? The same goes for just about EVERY club in the land. Managers buy players that fit their system, not those that may or may not fit the system of the next manager that comes in years down the line!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He needs a squad that can get us promoted and having players here who are only Championship stadard is no use to him after we go up as champions. Once promoted we will have to change a large number of the squad so short-term plan is fine with me

Blindingly obvious isn't it? If these guys get us up they may or may not get new contracts, if they don't we release them and get another batch in. If we do go up we can release players that we don't think are up to the Premier League. Why do we want 3 o 4 year contracts for players we may not want next season? Makes sense to me :shrug:

Eh? The same goes for just about EVERY club in the land. Managers buy players that fit their system, not those that may or may not fit the system of the next manager that comes in years down the line!

Exactly, and I think that is what Rev meant by his post.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rev makes a valid point to be fair.

We all know that Poyet has ambitions to manage at a higher level than Brighton, and i'm not talking about just being in the Premiership I'm talking about having a crack at one of the big clubs.

The players we have got in have been pretty well hand picked by Gus to be able to play his style of football and to be fair the average age of them is probably higher than most other clubs.

It's certainly worth pondering.

TB is not an idiot, I suggest we'll go down the Swansea route and employ a manger who has the same basic philosophy as the outgoing manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here