Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone thing poyet is signing players for the short term.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Had he signed a load of youngsters, people would be wondering why he had not signed experienced players.

I wonder if he has now run out of bullets. Maybe he is just reloading for the loan season/January?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Looks like he is trying to make an impact quickly then bugger off and leave us with an old side???

Bridge - season loan
Bruno -2 yr contract (to age 33)
Kuszczak -2 yr contract (to age 32)
Hammond - season loan
Lopez - 1yr contract (to age 30)
Dobbie - 3yr contract (to age 32)
Orlandi - 2 yr deal (to age 30)

I'm struggling to see your point. These all seem like sensible deals.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This is a load of horse shit and sounds like the OP has played championship/football manager too much.

There appears to be some sort of misconception based on footballers are only good in their early to mid 20s, which if you know anything about football is nonsense.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yes yes I am, I would have been satisfied if we had got what we all know we were after, simples...Quite where Hammond gets into the team christ knows and if Barnes the undroppable keeps his shirts christ knows where a few others slot in as well. One must assume when fit Crofts/Buckley/Vicente/Lopez and Bridcutt are all starters so thats the midfield and Dobbie up front. That could work but we all know its not going to be that way.

I think we did get what we were after....

Decent keeper? Yep
Decent fullbacks? Yep
Some added presence in midfield? Yep
A proven goalscorer? Yep

Oh you wanted a big lump up front who we hoof the ball to then lose? No you're right, we didn't get one of those.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Bringing much needed championship and higher experience whilst at the same time regularly adding to the development squad and changing the whole playing philosophy all through the club. Nothing to worry about at all. Bridders, Buckley, Kaz, Barnes, Dunk, JFC etc... all young and improving and hopefully with us for a long time to come.

I have added one hope you don't mind

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'll repeat what I posted last night, 3 out of the 4 players signed yesterday have experience of playing in Championship teams which have achieved promotion to the Prem League. The 4th player came from La Liga.
If that isn't good enough for some then I don't know what they expect?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Decent keeper? Yep
Decent fullbacks? Yep
A proven goalscorer? Yep

Oh you wanted a big lump up front who we hoof the ball to then lose? No you're right, we didn't get one of those.

Who's the proven goalscorer who has done it week in week out for a few years then?..Did I miss that one as well, go and check Dobbie's stats and most of it in Jockland and no I'm not slagging him off I think he has developed into a very good player, but as for proven goalscorer lets see shall we.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Well, how short is short? If Poyet leaves B&HA in a couple of years having got them into The Premier League and kept them there for the first season, but the new manager needs to do a deal of squad rebuilding for the second season; would that be short?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Decent keeper? Yep
Decent fullbacks? Yep
A proven goalscorer? Yep

And I think you will find it wasn't just me who wanted a big lump up front who we can hoof it too. I think you will find that's what our manager has been going on about for nearly a year as our main priority.....but let's just forget that hey, because it easier to slag people off on here.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I quite liked the analogy. We're unlikely to ever know the full story behind the last few days but I doubt any of us are thinking Dobbie was Poyet's top goal scoring target.
I thought Gus had said there were several options and yes, probably Dobbie wasn't first choice. I don't think Gus would be allowed to look at who is left available at the last minute and pick anyone.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
And I think you will find it wasn't just me who wanted a big lump up front who we can hoof it too. I think you will find that's what our manager has been going on about for nearly a year as our main priority.....but let's just forget that hey, because it easier to slag people off on here.

Poyet never said that is what he wanted, he said a striker who can hold the ball and bring others into play - Dobbie by all accounts can do this, and he scores goals... Win win

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Who's the proven goalscorer who has done it week in week out for a few years then?..Did I miss that one as well, go and check Dobbie's stats and most of it in Jockland and no I'm not slagging him off I think he has developed into a very good player, but as for proven goalscorer lets see shall we.

I think 11 goals and 10 assists in the championship with Swansea proves he can score and also create opportunities. On top of that his shooting stats for that season indicate that he hit the target 50% of the time and when he did hit the target 25% of his shots scored.

However that improved at Blackpool. He scored 6 in 10 games and he hit the target 75% of the time, with 40% of his shots on goal actually hitting the back of the net.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Last nights activity reminded me of a drunken old gunsligner walking into a bar in the old wild west. Bang,bang,bang, bang he goes, shoots his load off everywhere, hits a few targets, some good ones and one who got in the way. But ultimately he missed who he was looking for and now he maybe out of bullets.

Is it my imagination or is every member with 'Rev' in their user name a f***ing idiot.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I'm not slagging you off. I'm being facetious.

He has constantly gone on about hold up play etc, and as someone else said I think Dobbie brings that. He tried the big lump thing last year and it didn't work. You could argue that Paynter and Vokes aren't great, but I think signing a Drogba/Ibramhimovic lump with flair is never going to happen until we win the Champions League.... So I'm guessing that'll be 2014/15 ;)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Also the other slightly worrying thing is we are light in central defence with the loss of Elphick and Hall only needs 1 injury and we could struggle

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is it my imagination or is every member with 'Rev' in their user name a f***ing idiot.

It can't be your imagination because you haven't got one.That's why you just insult people rather than put an opinion forward weather it be right or wrong. I've never really got the insulting people over a keyboard thing, tell me does it do something for you???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here