Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone notice Mackail-Smith's reaction at the end of the game

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Feel for the guy as wondering why we signed him as clearly we are never going to adapt to his strengths. I actually think he would be better suited to the role Barnes is playing where he can run onto knock downs by vokes. Definitely not a back to goal striker.

However gus seems to have it in his mind that it is vokes or CMS so can only see this situation ending in CMS leaving

He would fit in to the way West Ham are playing better than he has with us, but his value is plumeting we should have ripped readings arms off when thay came for him.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The numbers are suprisingly similar.

In his last spell at this level with Peterbrorogh(2009-10?) he scored 10 goals in 43 games (1 goal every 387 minutes)
This season he has scored 7 goals in 31 games (1 goal every 399 mimutes)
This must be a worry to both club and player !!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
CMS and Vokes need to play up front in a 442 , this could well happen with Razak replacing Barnes in the midfield.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The numbers are suprisingly similar.

In his last spell at this level with Peterbrorogh(2009-10?) he scored 10 goals in 43 games (1 goal every 387 minutes)
This season he has scored 7 goals in 31 games (1 goal every 399 mimutes)

But then Peterboro were scrapping at the wrong end of the table, whereas we are 4 or 5 pts off 3rd place. The service has not been good, but he's missed his fair share of sitters as well.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We CAN'T sell CMS.

He runs around alot and waves to the crowd at the end of the game.

Jul 20, 2003
f*** me 6-1 defeat, what did you expect? should he have done a lap of honour juggling pugs on a unicycle? Jesus f***ing Christ

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Play Assulin & Vicente behind him & if he cant score with the service they'd provide, it might be best to say goodbye.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I read somewhere the player was Simon Church. Wouldn't of been bad business. The thing that frustrates me is that CMS is going to sign for another Championship club that play to his style and he'll score shed loads!

I agree, we simply don't play to his strengths - a real shame as i believe he could do the business

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I find it hard to believe that anyone would criticize CMS for missing a few chances. The service to him this season has been consistantly abysmal, to such an extent that I'd be surprised if he can remember where the goal is. Our football is so predictable, one paced and one dimensional. We've gone from playing with only one wide player to playing with 3 centre forwards and no winger (Millwall). I think it's absolutely tragic that we have a player of such outstanding quality, yet refuse to play to his strengths. I find the whole situation embarassing. Given service, CMS could have made a difference against Liverpool, yet he was bought on after 69 minutes. For once I am completely and utterly lost for words.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I find it hard to believe that anyone would criticize CMS for missing a few chances. The service to him this season has been consistantly abysmal, to such an extent that I'd be surprised if he can remember where the goal is. Our football is so predictable, one paced and one dimensional. We've gone from playing with only one wide player to playing with 3 centre forwards and no winger (Millwall). I think it's absolutely tragic that we have a player of such outstanding quality, yet refuse to play to his strengths. I find the whole situation embarassing. Given service, CMS could have made a difference against Liverpool, yet he was bought on after 69 minutes. For once I am completely and utterly lost for words.

O I dunno u seem to ave typed quite a few

Dec 29, 2011
Why can't we play CMS and Vokes together and f***ing drop Barnes?
Two frontmen, a target man and a poacher, with one CDM, one deep lying playmaker and two wingers will give us at least two options if Plan A doesn't work, i.e playing it along the floor and down the flanks we can go for a long ball to Vokes who heads it down to CMS or holds up play etc.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
No one seems able to put in an early ball for CMS to run onto. When our wingers run to the byline or put their foot on the ball on the wing and take their time, CMS gets picked up by defenders and all our forwards line up on the 18 yard box with their backs to the goal. This clearly isn't playing to CMS strength.

I'm all for keeping the ball and knocking it around, but we'd create more chances if we put more early crosses in, but GP seems to like possession over chances. It's got us were we are, so that's fine, it's just hard not to get frustrated with it at times, especially at the expense of proven goalscorers like CMS and attempts in general.

CMS gets a bad rep because yes he hasn't managed to put away a lot of the excellent goal scoring opportunites he's had. Usually get's at least 1 chance right in front of goal and usually 1on1 with the keeper during the Home games I've seen. However these have often also been the only real chances he gets each game because no one wants to or has been forbidden to take a chance and put in early crosses. We'd rather try and play like Arsenal and knock it around outisde their 18 yard box, with all our strikers with their backs to goal looking for the perfect through ball whilst some fans grind their teeth, which would be fine if Vicente played more regularly because he is good enough to have a decent touch, unlike some of the lobs and through balls from our current midfiled which are off the pitch for a goal kick before a forward has a chance to turn and run after it.

He's still our top goal scorer from open play, can't beleive some people's attitude towards him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
How much would we get for him though? 2 million if we are very lucky. I have been on his back a fair bit this season but i do feel sorry for him. The truth is he will never be able to adapt the way we play. Gus likes 1 man up top, CMS is not capable of playing that role. He is just being wasted imo

I disagree, you will soon realise what a good job hes done and how well in fact he has adapted to our style. Will he score 30 goals a season in that style ?...probably not, but no one will, have we looked more likely to score or create chances without him in the side ?
I dont think so. We really miss his ability to stretch defences when he does not play, teams can defend against us a lot easier when the striker only goes one way...towards his own goal !

I still think he will turn out to be an excellent Brighton player. Its just Gus getting the right players in too enable us to play a 4-4-2 a lot more often.

Keep the faith with CMS and you will be rewarded. I know i will :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here