Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone notice Mackail-Smith's reaction at the end of the game

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
It's only in the past couple of games GP has had the option of playing a pair of decent wingers. With Noone, LuaLua, Buckley, Vincente all as options on the wing there seems no reason not to play Vokes and CMS together, give them the service they need and get more goals. Why Barnes is getting the nod ahead of CMS I don't know. I quite like Barnes and I could see the logic when we had all the injuries but Barnes & Vokes ahead of CMS & Vokes - really?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'd be pissed off too and seriously questioning myself, if I had made the right decision in the summer. True his goalscoreing record has been poor this season but he has been ploughing a lone farrow this season up front, which is not his game. Then suddenly when a worthy target man comes in to feed off, he finds himself warming his arse on the bench. This I could understand, if we had a poaching striker at the club, but we don't. Cms is the only striker we have of his kind. Poyet has gone out and got competition for almost every position on the field, apart from the one that really matters. The one position that wins games and makes a difference,,,,a goalscorer!!!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Gus has quite a big squad now and is looking to play horses for courses. He acknowledges that he doesn't get it right all the time and yesterday is a good example.
Personally, whilst I understand what he is trying to do (keep the ball so the opposition can't score, frustrate and eventually craft an opportunity or two), I don't particularly enjoy it as much as a more open game, which cms can make a more positive contribution to. It's not going to stop me going to matches but I live in hope that Gus will develop his style of play to something more attractive.
The commentators on espn probably had it right inasmuch as we are a bit too deliberate and lack a bit of a more flexible approach to our gameplay.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Agreed we haven't played to CMS strengths but the team hasn't had the MF player to supply the ball he needs. Only 2 players look likely to do it, JFC who came into the team inthe New Year and then got injuried and is very young and of course RV who's been injuried and is not matchfit. Recently we've been playing more long balls but to be honest CMS looks at the moment that he couldn't buy a goal. There's also the problem that has surfaced in the last 2 games that if we play a too open game, with us giving the ball over too often ,the defence looks weak so I can't see Gus going for the long ball game too much.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Can see him asking for a transfer during the summer as we are not playing to his strengths and have then brought in somebody to play with him but not done so. He must be getting p....d off.

I wouldnt be worried if he did ask for a transfer in the summer - so long as we get back what we paid for him ( doubtful). As dougal said not cutting it in the championship - CMS biggest dissapointment for me all season. I really want the lad to do well and hope he turns it around.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It's only in the past couple of games GP has had the option of playing a pair of decent wingers. With Noone, LuaLua, Buckley, Vincente all as options on the wing there seems no reason not to play Vokes and CMS together, give them the service they need and get more goals. Why Barnes is getting the nod ahead of CMS I don't know. I quite like Barnes and I could see the logic when we had all the injuries but Barnes & Vokes ahead of CMS & Vokes - really?
Is viNcente a new signing to replace Vicente?

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I wouldnt be worried if he did ask for a transfer in the summer - so long as we get back what we paid for him ( doubtful). As dougal said not cutting it in the championship - CMS biggest dissapointment for me all season. I really want the lad to do well and hope he turns it around.

CMS is a class player and there is no doubt that he will do well and there is no doubt that he will turn it around. I just hope he can do it with us and not get sold (possibly for a loss) then go and do it somewhere else.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The numbers are suprisingly similar.

In his last spell at this level with Peterbrorogh(2009-10?) he scored 10 goals in 43 games (1 goal every 387 minutes)
This season he has scored 7 goals in 31 games (1 goal every 399 mimutes)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Turn it Around (on a Sixpence, or rather £?K a week))

What we want to see for £2.5 million is for him to collect the ball with his back to goal in and around the penalty area and to turn and shoot like Luis Suarez or Peter Ward. That all supposes that we can thread a pass through to him. He showed signs a few times. At the moment Kazenga looks at the most dangerous at this if his first touch was better.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
He's been awful for months now so i'm not too sympathetic of him being annoyed about not starting. Don't think he'll be here next year anyway

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
Was expecting/ hoping CMS was going to come on for Barnes. Could see him and Vokes playing well together

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If Gus wont change his style of play and that style does not suit cms... why did he even buy him?

We were always playing that style before we bought him?

At last - been saying this for months. We even had the chance to sell him to reading but didnt! If hes not happy being out of the side then thats a good thing. Every player must earn his right to a starting place no matter how good they/you think they are! 3.5m means f*** all if your not performing and certianly shouldnt guarantee a starting place.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The numbers are suprisingly similar.

In his last spell at this level with Peterbrorogh(2009-10?) he scored 10 goals in 43 games (1 goal every 387 minutes)
This season he has scored 7 goals in 31 games (1 goal every 399 mimutes)

Yes, and they sold him at the end of the season!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Feel for the guy as wondering why we signed him as clearly we are never going to adapt to his strengths. I actually think he would be better suited to the role Barnes is playing where he can run onto knock downs by vokes. Definitely not a back to goal striker.

However gus seems to have it in his mind that it is vokes or CMS so can only see this situation ending in CMS leaving

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here