Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got any bloody hard football questions

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Any more punts on the [now defunct] club side with the highest ground capacity in the history of the English Football League. First and second. Second is contentious (Maine Road and/or Stamford Bridge may well have at one point been bigger) but first is seemingly unequivocal.

I don't know who has guessed what. But I'm going to suggest either Corinthian or Glossop.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Any more punts on the [now defunct] club side with the highest ground capacity in the history of the English Football League. First and second. Second is contentious (Maine Road and/or Stamford Bridge may well have at one point been bigger) but first is seemingly unequivocal.

It's not something like the Oval, is it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
According to wikipedia he played for Taylor at 6 clubs
Dover, Gillingham, Leicester, Brighton, hull & Stevenage

Yeah, but apparently he didn't actually sign him for Dover, he was already there. And Dover aren't a league club. But it's just another part of their special relationship.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He did score the last hat trick there though didn't he? Against West Ham I think. So I'm guessing they got a consolation goal but I really can't remember!

Edit: think I had a rush of blood to the head, and suddenly have a feeling I'm in a right twisty-mix-up lol!

No, it's definitely a home player. And judging by the responses so far, I think I'm going to be here a while....

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
No, it's definitely a home player. And judging by the responses so far, I think I'm going to be here a while....

Ok I've cheated, and apparently it was in fact Thierry. Against Wigan (begins with W so I was close):

"Arsenal's final game at the stadium was their FA Premier League match on 7 May 2006 against Wigan Athletic, the last game of the season. The team needed to better the result of neighbours Tottenham Hotspur in order to again secure qualification for the Champions League. Having been 2-1 behind, a hat trick by captain and all-time leading goal scorer Thierry Henry secured qualification, with Henry kneeling down to kiss the turf on scoring what proved to be the final goal seen at the stadium."

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I guess clubs may have played at places like the Oval, Wembley, Twickenham a bit (eg Arsenal playing CL games at Wembley a few years back) but these are clubs permanently based at one ground...

Didn't there used to be a London club called Thames United or Thames FC or something? I don't know where they played, but there are a lot of big grounds in London...

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Name the player who has played in the same team as Bobby Moore, Liam Brady and Alan Shearer

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
What english Based football club are nicknamed the wee gers?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
apart from sheffeld wednesday which other club has an owl on there badge?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Way, way out :lolol:

quote off wiki

Arsenal's final game at the stadium was their FA Premier League match on 7 May 2006 against Wigan Athletic, the last game of the season. The team needed to better the result of neighbours Tottenham Hotspur in order to again secure qualification for the Champions League. Having been 2-1 behind, a hat trick by captain and all-time leading goal scorer Thierry Henry secured qualification, with Henry kneeling down to kiss the turf on scoring what proved to be the final goal seen at the stadium.[

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Didn't there used to be a London club called Thames United or Thames FC or something? I don't know where they played, but there are a lot of big grounds in London...

Is the correct answer! Thames AFC had a 120k capacity (only Wembley, 127k at one point, has had more). The total attendance from their two years in the league was less than the capacity. Wore Palace colours and got shit gates - go figure. New Brighton [Tower] FC (Liverpool 'seaside') arguably second placed with 100k although Chelsea and Man City claim similar and I guess it's impossible to prove as none were filled...

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
quote off wiki

Arsenal's final game at the stadium was their FA Premier League match on 7 May 2006 against Wigan Athletic, the last game of the season. The team needed to better the result of neighbours Tottenham Hotspur in order to again secure qualification for the Champions League. Having been 2-1 behind, a hat trick by captain and all-time leading goal scorer Thierry Henry secured qualification, with Henry kneeling down to kiss the turf on scoring what proved to be the final goal seen at the stadium.[

No, no, no :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here