Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else warming to McGhee now?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I am starting too, especially after the signing on Iwelumo

It feels like he has had his settling in period at the club now, and is starting to know the players and what team he wants.

Keeping faith with players like Harding and Virgo will only improve their confidence while Robinson is being used well. He hasnt rushed into any signings but bringing in Iwelumo is excellent. Im not getting carried away with him, but he's a solid Nationwide player and the kind we need in this division.

6 games unbeaten now, looking likely to make the playoffs if we keep this form up, a good summer clearout and some more proven players in during the close season

Exciting times :smokin:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The only problem I had with him at first was the constant chopping and changing of the team, experimenting when we needed stability.

Having said that he has certainly found out the teams strengths and weaknesses and is getting it right now when it counts.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If we keep up this form until the end of the season we'll be knocking on the door of automatic promotion! (well I can dream can't I?)

Beat Bristol away to take over the second place spot :)

Mind you I'd rather go up in a blaze of glory after the play-offs but I'm not sure my blood pressure could take it!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Id still rather have Tony Adams

:jester:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm warming to him. He's wisely decided to minimise the influence of our midfield by bringing in another big striker to (hopefully) complement Benjy when he returns.

It aint pretty but at this stage of the season, I don't care. And seeing how overrun we have been in midfield at times this season, the quicker we can the ball up to a three pronged attack (with the ability to hold the ball up) the better.

Six games unbeaten now. He's getting it right.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plenty of people (me included) thought he was doing alright in the first place. People forget, we overachieved for 2 or 3 seasons, and we're probably only now settling finding our level. We lost a few very important players, and had only the bare bones ((c) 2004 H. Redknapp) of a squad.

McGhee needed time to sort things out, which I think he has done. He's been able to assess the squad properly, found a few useful players who Coppell and others ignored, and will get rid of the crap in time. If we get promotion this season, it's a bonus in my eyes.

Have a little faith, people!

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I'm starting to warm to him a little. He did seem to enjoy celebrating with the players at the end of the game yesterday too :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never been cold on the fella. I was delighted when he was appointed manager, and although the team hadn't been performing particularly well until recently, we've so far managed to maintain a playoff spot, and look to be running into a bit of form at just the right time. He's had time to work with the players and bring in one or two useful additions to the squad, and gradually things are coming together.

People want instant results and an instant boost from a new manager. This didn't happen with McGhee, which meant he already had his detractors after about 2 months in the job. Now I think we are really starting to see his influence on the team. The one thing I didn't particurly like was the public criticism of Leon, but I misinterpretted that to be worse than it actually was with the whole inert/inept thing. And Leon has been pulling his weight lately.

Even if we do miss out this season, the fact that the squad will have a competent manager in place for the entire pre-season this summer will, I think, pay dividends. If it doesn't happen this season, I think we'll be a pretty good bet for next season to go up. Specially with all the additional experience the likes of Virgo, Harding and Jake have had this season.

I'm feeling quite upbeat about it all.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
edna krabappel said:
Plenty of people (me included) thought he was doing alright in the first place. People forget, we overachieved for 2 or 3 seasons, and we're probably only now settling finding our level.

That has got to be right up there with "It's a game of two halfs" for the most stupid thing to say.

How the hell can you over achieve?!?!?! Especially over 2-3 seasons!?!?! Are you mad!

Liverpool over achieved for 2 decades. They've now found their level. Utter toss!

We achieved what we chaeived through good management and team work! That is what football is all about! The way you're talking it's as though we were just lucky to win two champinships in a row!

:censored: :censored: :censored: :angry:

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Yeah, after there were questions being raised not that long ago, he has really improved things recently.

He is bringing the younger players on well. And since he has been bringing in the players he wants results have certainly improved.

Good work McGhee.
:clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I never doubted the guy for a second.

League record starting to have an air of respectability about it.

Played 21
Won 9
Drawn 6
Lost 6
Points 33

And to think some muppets wanted Tony Adams.

Fickle moi never.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gareth Glover said:
I never doubted the guy for a second.

League record starting to have an air of respectability about it.

Played 21
Won 9
Drawn 6
Lost 6
Points 33

And to think some muppets wanted Tony Adams.

Fickle moi never.

LOL :lolol:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
It took Micky Adams a little while to get things right. Remember the flak he got during the first season at Withdean?

Even if we don't get through the play-offs, I think McGhee will know what to do next season to win us the championship

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he was a good appointmenet anyway and now he is showing why. He had the track record and clearly knew what it takes to get out of this division and what kind of players can cut it in the first.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lammy said:
That has got to be right up there with "It's a game of two halfs" for the most stupid thing to say.

How the hell can you over achieve?!?!?! Especially over 2-3 seasons!?!?! Are you mad!

Liverpool over achieved for 2 decades. They've now found their level. Utter toss!

We achieved what we chaeived through good management and team work! That is what football is all about! The way you're talking it's as though we were just lucky to win two champinships in a row!

:censored: :censored: :censored: :angry:
I think all Edna was alluding to was the fact that what we achieved was all the more amazing considering the massive constraints the club has been under. You're absolutely right, this was achieved through good management and team work, but we had no right to expect back-to-back Championships given the clubs circumstances, so in that respect, we unexpectedly over-achieved (to everyones delight).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course we over-achieved for two years. Around 4th-10th was where we expected ourselves to be when the players completely ignored the manager(s) and went and stormed the division. If that wasn't the case, why did Stoke survive and Reading flourish?

A purely hypothetical point. If we had won that 2nd Division title in 2002 and played the following season in the same division with EXACTLY the same teams, I believe we would not have won the championship again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here