Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else warming to McGhee now?

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Hes was the best choice at the time credit to knight

hes not the greatest in choicing loan players every time but they are working well

he was never going to match coppell who left us 4 points clear at the top

oh the good old days

:ascarf: :falmerspi

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
haven't changed my mind about Maddog.

1 He's a good manager with a prooven track record.

2 He's nuts.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
My point is, there is no such thing as over achieving. The only teams that expect to win championships are Celtic, Rangers, Man Ure and Arse.

Have Plymouth over achieved? Did their fans expect them to run away with it? No of course not. They are there because they deserve it. They have achieved it. Not over-achieved it.

Did Pompey over achieve in getting to the prem? No. They were the best team that year and so they won Div 1.

It really does annoy me when a club does something good and it is dismissed as over-achieving. The table doesn't lie after 46 games! And to say it after two seasons is plain ridiculous!!!

you can't say we over achieved in 3rd! If you put us back down there now with the same team we'd win it again! If we had Zamora, Brooker and Adams/Taylor we'd win this division again. (This would require Watson to regurgitate the shit pill he ate).

In my opinion we UNDER achieved in div 1 due to the inept/inert management of Hinshelwood for 13 games. Therefore we thoroughly deserve another shot at it to do it again properly.

and relax...

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Lammy said:
In my opinion we UNDER achieved in div 1 due to the inept/inert management of Hinshelwood for 13 games
Jeff Wood was the most inert manager we've ever had. He hardly moved, except to write a few more notes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yup and his style is pissing off other managers which is the sign of a good manager imo. See the Cheaterfraud thread :clap:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I think we can be forgiven for expecting instant results from McGhee seem as though most of our managers would have moved on to one of our rivals by now:glare:

Seriously though, he was always going to need time, and i want him to take his time. I think he's starting to really get a feel for who he thinks can take this club forward and who wont. Although the frequent reappearances of David Lee are nothing short of baffling???

But something still bothers me. Did all of McGhee's former clubs (that reeeeally hate him now) feel optimistic after this long in charge aswell? Probably yes..:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I agree but then I never really subscribed to the Mid Table McGhee school of thought anyway. He's an inclusive manager and speaks with more passion about the Albion and a level of commitment not heard since Mickey Adams was our leader. He's got a funny nose too which helps.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm more than happy with MM.

It's his team now and recent results show that we are moving in the right direction. I know, for a fact, that other teams at the top are worried about us.

We needed to turn our away form around, and hopefully we are on the right track!

Bring on Cardiff in May!! :clap:

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
hes definitely changing the team for the better. back 4 look a lot more solid than they have done for sometime.

would like to see a bit more football being played rather than the hoofing that seems to have crept in.

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Satisfied with recent results, but I would like us to return to a passing game, rather than the hit and hope that we exhibit so often.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A good manager, with a good trach record... now getting good results... my opinion when he signed up, my opinion hasn't changed...

Don't agree with his stance on McPhee (should have been picked at P Vale)... not sure Ben is better than FDM, but he's doing better now... would play Piercy rather than Jones, but even Jonesy is improving... handling of our young stars is excellent... hmmm... maybe MM knows what he's doing?...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I always felt he was the best of what was around at the time, and yeah the product has not been that great since October, but it's a darn sight better than what was being offered between Coppell going and McGhee turning up.

He's taken two sides out of this division as champions, so the guy is clearly no mug, and I think given the time and backing, he'll do the same with us.

It always helps as well, when you start to put a bit of a run together, and we are coming into our annual good spell in late Feb/March and April......

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Given time i'm sure he will prove very good and will get
us promotion to the 1st div.
One things for sure i like him a lot more than mr P Taylor.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Out of those touted for the job at the time, I wanted him to get it. Now, I'm glad he did and looking forward to Division 1 football next season.

Brighton Jock

Aug 28, 2003
Ashtead,Surrey
I've always thought he was a good choice and haven't changed my mind, Harding and Virgo have done really well since he brought them in and he's seems passionate about the job when interviewed, so let's hope he keeps up the good work...........

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy, I'm not saying we didn't deserve the promotions, of course we did. The table tells the story after 46 games.

I just meant (and I think some others realise this) that nobody expected us to do what we did in the 2nd last time around (ie win it!). Fair enough, we had a team set up to win the 3rd, but we had virtually the same players when we got to the second, yet we still stormed it. We had the momentum started by Micky Adams, great team spirit, a decent (but not world beating) standard all over the pitch, a winning habit, and a once in a lifetime striker. With the greatest respect to the players, I believe that the spirit and togetherness and winning habit perhaps allowed one or two flaws to be disguised, which were subsequently uncovered by better players in Div 1.

I don't believe for a moment that our promotions weren't deserved, purely that I and many others never expected quite so much success given the players that we had at the time, Zamora excepted. WHo thought Oatway, Watson, Mayo, even Hart would survive in Div 2? They were all players who'd either never played above Div 3 or who'd got promoted then been discarded back to the Third as soon as the season was over.

Liverpool, on the other hand, had a well established tradition and set up, as well as being able to get players in when necessary (as did your other example, Portsmouth last year) and expected to do well, so no, they're not overachieving.

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
he seems to be finding his feet now with the players and fans.

Still can't understand a bloody word he says though and why does he insist on wearing a suit with one of those padded jackets.

:p :p

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
edna krabappel said:
Lammy, I'm not saying we didn't deserve the promotions, of course we did. The table tells the story after 46 games.

I just meant (and I think some others realise this) that nobody expected us to do what we did in the 2nd last time around (ie win it!). Fair enough, we had a team set up to win the 3rd, but we had virtually the same players when we got to the second, yet we still stormed it. We had the momentum started by Micky Adams, great team spirit, a decent (but not world beating) standard all over the pitch, a winning habit, and a once in a lifetime striker. With the greatest respect to the players, I believe that the spirit and togetherness and winning habit perhaps allowed one or two flaws to be disguised, which were subsequently uncovered by better players in Div 1.

I don't believe for a moment that our promotions weren't deserved, purely that I and many others never expected quite so much success given the players that we had at the time, Zamora excepted. WHo thought Oatway, Watson, Mayo, even Hart would survive in Div 2? They were all players who'd either never played above Div 3 or who'd got promoted then been discarded back to the Third as soon as the season was over.

Liverpool, on the other hand, had a well established tradition and set up, as well as being able to get players in when necessary (as did your other example, Portsmouth last year) and expected to do well, so no, they're not overachieving.

You said we had over achieved for the last 2-3 seasons. This is not true. When we won Div 3 we were by far the best team in that division and won easily. The next season we won again. OK this was better than anyone had expected at the beginning of the season. However, once we'd gauged that the division was not such a step up we won it, and deserved it. Again we did not over achieve. We under estimated our team and over estimated the division. When we got to Division one. Both Reading and Stoke had the resources to invest in their squad. We lost our manager and had no money. It was no great suprise then that we started off very badly. Here we under achieved. If we had the same players now and were in Div 1 with Peter Taylor we would have stayed up. This would have been what we would have expected. Not to set the world on fire but to stay up. We went down. This season a lot of fans expected us to be in contention for the automatic promotion places. We still are (although it's remote). Had we not had another manager walk out on us I believe we'd still be up there and second to Plymouth. So at the moment we are underachieving. Our current form and our form in the first quater of the season as shown what this team is capable of. If we go up and we keep our manager for a change I think we should stay up. This would be an achievement. Not an over achievement.

People forget that football is a team game. This team is bigger than the 11 men on the pitch. It's the players, the manager the chairman, the fans and the whole community getting behind each other. That is what we have here at Brighton. That is what sets us apart from teams with more money and "better" individual players. We are a good TEAM. That TEAM did not over achieve. They simply bore the fruits of a great TEAM effort both on and off the pitch.

I fully expect Brighton to make a damn good promotion push this season. This is not because my expectations are ludicrously high it is because this team has already proved they are more than capable of it and they desrerve a better go at division 1 with a more loyal manager.

Brighton and Hove Albion = Achievers

Brighton and Hove Albion != Over Achievers (bit of C for you programmers out there!)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Oh and going back to the Liverpool thing. Liverpool used to be a 2nd division side you know not so long ago! Even Man Ure were down in the 70's!

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
u said that

We under estimated our team and over estimated the division. When we got to Division one....
. We lost our manager and had no money.

If the team was not over achieving ie won promotion, why wasnt it good enough to stay up?? when coppell came in he signed players on loan, and permanently. surely that is a sign that the div 2 squad wasnt good enough.

the fact u say that we had no money points to the fact that we needed to use that money on new players??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here