Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else warming to McGhee now?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
king Wombat said:
u said that

We under estimated our team and over estimated the division. When we got to Division one....
. We lost our manager and had no money.

If the team was not over achieving ie won promotion, why wasnt it good enough to stay up?? when coppell came in he signed players on loan, and permanently. surely that is a sign that the div 2 squad wasnt good enough.

the fact u say that we had no money points to the fact that we needed to use that money on new players??

Oh Jesus! I said that we didn't stay up because our managert left us!

The money that Coppell spent on players was available to Hinshelwood and would have been available to Taylor had he stuck it out. Christ are you saying that if you have to invest in a squad after a promotion they must have over achieved in getting there? cRaZy?!!?

If a team gets promotion, especially by winning the division then they were simply the best team in the division. Simple as that. They don't over achieve. In fact the very idea of over achieving is repugnant. It's almost like comparing it to over-steer on a car. i.e. a weekness. I see it more as seeing their potential and getting it right. Working well as a team etc. To simply dismiss great achievment as over achieving is offensive!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As I mentioned on the Iwelumo thread, with Mcghee and the big man at the club it's time for a few Scots flags to adorn the Withdean stands, although I doubt there are too many around amongst the Albion faithful. As someone mentioned, a nice big Albion badge in the middle of the flag would look fantastic.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
portslade seagull said:
Given time i'm sure he will prove very good and will get
us promotion to the 1st div.
One things for sure i like him a lot more than mr P Taylor.

i like saddam more than i do peter taylor

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Over achieve / under achieve, who give a toss ?
You achieve what you achieve. We're all here to do what we're all here to do. You cannot see past a choice you do not understand. Choice is an illusion given by those who have power, to those who do not. I can only open the door, its you who must walk through it. There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.

I've been watching The Matrix lately. Great effects, but what a load of old bollocks they go on about.

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
I was delighted when MM took the job, but until recently was saying that the jury was out on him. I am now really starting to warm to his ideas. I think Iwelumo is an excellent signing and him and Knight looked good together up front. The way MM is bringing on the young players like Harding, Virgo, El-Abd and Robinson is very encouraging and we seem to coming good just at the right time.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yes getting back to the point...

I like what McGhee is doingrgd results. However, I'm still a bit wary of his attitude towards our midfield. i.r by pass them. I think this is ok in this division but I think we'll be found seriously wanting if we go up and try that style in the 1st. I hope I'm wrong though!

Palace Palace here we come!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
Yes getting back to the point...

However, I'm still a bit wary of his attitude towards our midfield. i.r by pass them. I think this is ok in this division but I think we'll be found seriously wanting if we go up and try that style in the 1st. I hope I'm wrong though!

Palace Palace here we come!

WHEN we go up Withdean will be a much more attractive place for a couple of decent midfielders.

As long as we score more than we concede each game for the rest of this season, I'm happy to go route one and miss out the midfield. We've got all summer to put together a new one.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Icy Gull said:
WHEN we go up Withdean will be a much more attractive place for a couple of decent midfielders.

As long as we score more than we concede each game for the rest of this season, I'm happy to go route one and miss out the midfield. We've got all summer to put together a new one.

You make it sound like McGhee has been busting a gut to get a midfielder in but they just don't want to play at Withdean in Div 2?

I agree with you totally regarding just getting us up! But McGhee has never even mentioned our midfield as a possible weakness. He just goes on about the strikers all the time. Which he has done a marvellous job with BTW. I just think we're REALLY gonna need a decent central midfielder sooner rather than later.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I was always optimistic that McGhee was the right choice. I think what worries me more is whether he will stay if we don't gain promotion.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
he'll stay whether we get promotion or not. he's got a point to prove about his loyalty.

I dont personally think we should be devastated if we dont get promotion this year.

no doubt there'll be several players coming/going in the summer and I think next year we could win the div 2 championship and go up with a better all round squad. Harding and virgo need more time to establish themselves in the defence

Lammy said:
That has got to be right up there with "It's a game of two halfs" for the most stupid thing to say.

How the hell can you over achieve?!?!?! Especially over 2-3 seasons!?!?! Are you mad!

Liverpool over achieved for 2 decades. They've now found their level. Utter toss!

We achieved what we chaeived through good management and team work! That is what football is all about! The way you're talking it's as though we were just lucky to win two champinships in a row!

:censored: :censored: :censored: :angry:

how ABOUT OVER DELIVERED

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
Re the midfield.

Simon Rodger will be back next season..... if he's still got a season left in him.

When we make it to Div 1 we will need to look at the midfield.

Until then I'm happy to bypass the middle if we have to and watch Charlie taking chunks out of anyone slow enough.

:clap: we are going up:clap:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think MM has taken his time to look at the first teamers and then decide who was not up to scratch (Watson and Mayo). He has shown faith in Virgo and Harding, and although they still make mistakes they do provide better cover, as evidenced by our recent run of clean sheets and good results.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Beeneys gloves said:
IKeeping faith with players like Harding and Virgo will only improve their confidence while Robinson is being used well.
Exciting times :smokin:

As long as McGhee doesn't drop either Virgo or Harding to play Watto or Mayo, it'll be fine by me.

:D

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
I dont think he'll leave in the summer whether we get promotion or not. But if we get the stadium he'll DEFINATELY stay. He knows what a good club this is, just like all the managers who have left to go elsewhere and wondered whether they had done the right thing. If we get Falmer they will all wish they had stayed.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Gullet said:
I dont think he'll leave in the summer whether we get promotion or not. But if we get the stadium he'll DEFINATELY stay. He knows what a good club this is, just like all the managers who have left to go elsewhere and wondered whether they had done the right thing. If we get Falmer they will all wish they had stayed.
Too right Gullet-However the only one I would welcome back is Mickey Adams

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I think all he needed was time and fair play to him he did chop and change things around but it was all about finding the right team and sussing out the players. I know we all got frustrated at times but the team needed to go through that transitional period. All our youngsters have done so well and have been brought on so well that Harding is keeping Mayo out of the squad. He also took a chance on Virgo who was ignored by Coppell. I have no probelm understanding what he is saying being half scots so I am happy to translate if needed:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here