Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else NOT doing Christmas?

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Being an Orthodox country, Christmas isn't celebrated here until 7th January so today, tomorrow and Boxing Day are just meaningless days.

Does anyone else have no reason to celebrate tomorrow? Jehovah's Witnesses? Hindus? Scrooges?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
<---------------rules me out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No, I don't celebrate Christmas either.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
strangly,what with france being a very catholic country,it's done very low key here,they seem to prefer new year

i'm the other way,new year was great when your young,out in the boozers,but now that just passes me by

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I really don't feel up for Christmas at all this year; I was hoping to just go away on my own somewhere for ten days or so to have a bit of a break but my Grandparents are ill so I'm spending it with them in the West Country instead.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Are there any places where people volunteer to do something positive out in the world on Christmas Day?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't and never have while I have been allowed to think for myself. Reason? Non hypocritical Atheist. (Christmas is the religious term for part of the holiday season between 21st dec and 1st January.

That's a new one on me

Marshal Josip Tito

&#1052;&#1072;&#1088;&#1096;&#1072;&#1083; &#1085;
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
As an atheist myself I have no interest in the story of Christ or the associated religious mumbo jumbo BUT I guess I must be a lapsed atheist because I do very much enjoy over indulging and exchanging presents, which to me are the things I associate most with the festive season. That and spending time with relatives.

There is this idea that "Winterval" as a term covers what the majority of us non-religious types do at Christmas, and there is much to be said for the traditions of spending time with loved ones and being generous and grateful at the same time. I can understand how as a militant atheist you might reject the whole holiday season on all levels, but as is so often the case with life, surely, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

After all, whilst I consider myself fairly strongly against organised religion I do still accept it can serve a purpose; mainly to provide morals and ethics to people who without fear of a vengeful deity might otherwise see no good reason not to steal, kill or covet they neighbour's Ox etc.

I think it is a LONG time since Christmas could truly be considered a religious holiday back in the UK. Yes the god botherers will jump upon it as a time to convince others that going to a church service at this time of year is the right thing to do. But ultimately I'd say the majority of the population have no religious interest in Christmas whatsoever, or at least not consciously (putting an angel atop the Christmas tree may have Christian connotations but do people even consider that?)

Ultimately the whole Christmas and New Year period is, for most people, a well deserved break at the end of the year so regardless of its origins I think it's fair to say it's a worthwhile cause.

I'm just sad I'm going to be doing it all topsy turvy, with new year first. But variety is the spice of life, eh?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The young Miss Bracknell tried to find a volunteering opportunity this year, but found that she needed a CRB check - and there wasn't time to get one done.

I hope you don't mind me asking, what was the volunteering opportunity she was after?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
It's a no brainer really, in this country it's ALL about kids. Who can deny children their innocence believing in Father Christmas? My bubble burst when I noticed Santa was wearing exactly the same hush puppies as my Dad, when he came to visit me at home:nono:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I did a golf tour in France a few years ago and we played on Good Friday which was a normal working day there. I thought that was odd too as they are predomiantly Catholic

strangly,what with france being a very catholic country,it's done very low key here,they seem to prefer new year

i'm the other way,new year was great when your young,out in the boozers,but now that just passes me by

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here