Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else NOT doing Christmas?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
As an atheist myself I have no interest in the story of Christ or the associated religious mumbo jumbo BUT I guess I must be a lapsed atheist because I do very much enjoy over indulging and exchanging presents, which to me are the things I associate most with the festive season. That and spending time with relatives.

There is this idea that "Winterval" as a term covers what the majority of us non-religious types do at Christmas, and there is much to be said for the traditions of spending time with loved ones and being generous and grateful at the same time. I can understand how as a militant atheist you might reject the whole holiday season on all levels, but as is so often the case with life, surely, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

After all, whilst I consider myself fairly strongly against organised religion I do still accept it can serve a purpose; mainly to provide morals and ethics to people who without fear of a vengeful deity might otherwise see no good reason not to steal, kill or covet they neighbour's Ox etc.

I think it is a LONG time since Christmas could truly be considered a religious holiday back in the UK. Yes the god botherers will jump upon it as a time to convince others that going to a church service at this time of year is the right thing to do. But ultimately I'd say the majority of the population have no religious interest in Christmas whatsoever, or at least not consciously (putting an angel atop the Christmas tree may have Christian connotations but do people even consider that?)

Ultimately the whole Christmas and New Year period is, for most people, a well deserved break at the end of the year so regardless of its origins I think it's fair to say it's a worthwhile cause.

I'm just sad I'm going to be doing it all topsy turvy, with new year first. But variety is the spice of life, eh?

Best thing I've ever read on nsc . My thoughts exactly but I could never put it like that . Merry Xmas

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Some interesting points about the Christmas holiday here. quite surprising that many of the things we associate with Christmas have a pagan origin, the date for a start, then Xmas trees, holly, mistletoe are all things left over from pagan times.

Christmas, Yule and the Winter Solstice | Mysterious Britain & Ireland

Loads of so called Christian festivals and beliefs are a rehash of some pagan celebrations/customs/beliefs. Harvest festivals, lent, worship of the madonna, Valentines day - saints' day in general for that matter, the cross and fish symbols, Easter etc. etc. As far as my knowledge of the Bible goes Jesus never instigated the celebration of his birthday, only his death. I don't wish to offend anyone who does have a strong belief in these things but I don't understand why, when there is so much that is actually written in the Bible that needs strong faith to accept, the church has had to weave in loads of extra stuff from non Christian sources?

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Very Christmassy today in 'FYR' Slovenia

Comrade, the prefix FYR applies solely to Macedonia, as their Greek neighbours refuse to allow them to be referred to internationally as simply Macedonia. Slovenia, whilst obviously a former Yugoslavian republic, is simply Slovenia to the international world as it hasn't fallen out with anyone over the name.

It's a funny old place, the Balkans

Lush

Mods' Pet
If it wasn't for Christmas, a lot of families wouldn't ever bother to get together and sit down and have a meal, let alone spend time trying to find a thoughtful gift for each other. Doesn't have to be about religion and certainly isn't for me, but this can only be a good thing right?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Comrade, the prefix FYR applies solely to Macedonia, as their Greek neighbours refuse to allow them to be referred to internationally as simply Macedonia. Slovenia, whilst obviously a former Yugoslavian republic, is simply Slovenia to the international world as it hasn't fallen out with anyone over the name.

It's a funny old place, the Balkans

I know that hence the ' '

Great place though

Our Slovenian ski guide made me chuckle as we asked why Serbia celebrates Xmas on 6 jan and he said something to do with religion - they're all Muslims! (obviously meant orthodox)

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
I know that hence the ' '

Great place though

Our Slovenian ski guide made me chuckle as we asked why Serbia celebrates Xmas on 6 jan and he said something to do with religion - they're all Muslims! (obviously meant orthodox)

Ha! He certainly did. I think Serbia is the least Muslim filled country of any of the Slavic countries (although don't tell them that, as they'd claim that the Albanian filled Kosovo is still part of Serbia). Slovenia, like Croatia is mostly Catholic - hence they have Christmas when us Brits do. However there are Orthodox countries like Greece and Bulgaria who purposefully moved their Christmas celebrations to 25th December so as to tie in with most of the rest of the Christian world. So quite why the Macedonians and Serbians stick with this 6th/7th January date is beyond me. I think I'm right in saying the Russians still do Christmas in January too. Perhaps old Soviet loyalties have kept the Serbs and Macedonians in line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here