Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any player we have signed and you thought 'Yeah' but turned out to be shite !!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Teddy F**king Maybank, to give him his full title!
Complete and utter tosser, remember standing on the terracing in front of the West Stand when someone behind us shouted "Oi Maybank, how tall are you, cause I didn't know they could pile shit that high!"

:nono:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Graham Barrett was a baffling one. Loads of ability, and did more running in a game than a marathon runner, yet never really made an impact on any game. His goal-scoring record was obscene. Definitely one for When Saturday Comes' "A Strange Case Of....."

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Teddy Maybank

I think some posters are going off topic on this thread.

I originally said Maybank because we were motoring up the (now) Championship, Maybank cost approx £250,000 (a lot of money then) and scored within 10 minutes of his debut! Many of us thought "Yeah" and he DID turn out to be shite.

Some of the players mentioned on this thread were just bad and, if we are honest, NEVER had the "Yeah" factor!

Now that we have a few players mentioned, perhaps this could be a poll?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Richter Scale Ratings for Signings etc.

Bobby Smith I was 9.9 on the Richter scale. Hardly any other signings raised a tremor, Nobby Lawton was 6.3, Brian Clough was 6.5, Mark Lawrenson and Gary Williams was 7.8, Alan Mullery at 5.0, Liam Brady at 3.0, Gustavo Poyet at 3.6, Home draw against Chelsea in the FA Cup in the sixties 9.2, Promotion match against Rochdale in the early seventies 8.6, Battle for Division One (old) failed attempt 9.4, F.A. Cup Final 9.9, Falmer opening expected to be anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0, first Albion match against Arsenal in Division One 9.8. Away match against Charlton in Division 2 in the late seventies 8.0, etc. Last match at the Goldstone 7.6.

cf. Nowadays, David Beckham were be off the scale, Ryan Giggs would register at 9.5, Bobby Z at 8.0, Gary Neville at 3.2.

Last edited:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Bobby Smith I was 9.9 on the Richter scale. Hardly any other signings raised a tremor, Nobby Lawton was 6.3, Brian Clough was 6.5, Mark Lawrenson and Gary Williams was 7.8, Alan Mullery at 5.0, Liam Brady at 3.0, Gustavo Poyet at 3.6, Home draw against Chelsea in the FA Cup in the sixties 9.2, Promotion match against Rochdale in the early seventies 8.6, Battle for Division One (old) failed attempt 9.4, F.A. Cup Final 9.9, Falmer opening expected to be anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0, first Albion match against Arsenal in Division One 9.8. Away match against Charlton in Division 2 in the late seventies 8.0, etc. Last match at the Goldstone 7.6.

cf. Nowadays, David Beckham were be off the scale, Ryan Giggs would register at 9.5, Bobby Z at 8.0, Gary Neville at 3.2.

What in the hell are you on about. That has to be the weirdest post on here Ive ever seen.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Are you a cyborg?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I really thought that Robbie Savage would do something for us. Type of player you love to hate against you but would love in your team. Except he did nothing and the fact that he's now back as a regular at Derby goes to show that he had the ability but just couldn't be bothered.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Mickey Thomas

That's the one for me. Blimey, I was sooo chuffed, we'd signed a player from Man Utd, and an International. I'd seen him play in the Home Internationals and he was coming here, to my little club. It was the moment, as a young boy, I thought we were competing with the biggest, most famous clubs for players ..... and he turned out to be a complete waste of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here