Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any player we have signed and you thought 'Yeah' but turned out to be shite !!

Maybank was outstanding really - and to be fair it wasn't his fault that he bore a high price tag, and that it was Mullery's big signing. Too coincidentally from Fulham as well, as it looks like we were used to call in a personal favour.
Then, Mullery stuck by his awful signing failure, when it was clear that he was not much good - and even to the point of putting our hottest ever player (£6,000 from Burton Albion) Peter Ward on the bench to get splinters in his arse watching a lumberer lumping his way gracelessly around the park.

So a poor signing, and worse - trading Ward down to the bench and ruining the squad totally into the process. Our football had taken a nose-dive for the sake of Mullery's old pal network.

There have been others since, but that one was the worst I witnessed.

I was pretty young when Maybank signed but I do remember my Dad and his mates in the East Terrace being excited at his signing.
I also remember even clearer him and his mates a few matches later swearing their heads off at Teddy's uselessness.
"Oi Tedski f*** off back to fancy Fulham you donkey" shouted with his strong Hungarian accent by my Dad and making everyone around us piss themselves laughing always stick in my mind.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Paul Kitson- Injured

Savage- rubbish

Colim Kazim-Richards- Pain in the arse as a player and person.

Leon Knight- yes he did score a load of goals in his first season but half of them were from the penalty spot. Ended up being a very shit player in comparison to what we were hoping for.

Stumpy Tim

Mark Farrington
I remember listening to an interview with him on the old Albion hot line - was it Brighton 8049 or something like that when he said "I'm a completely different player to Mike Small". You can say that again - Mike Small scored goals !

I remember that quote, and I remember thinking "f***, that's a shame. Because we need another Mike Small". I then went to watch Farrington's first game (for the reserves as he was on his way back from injury) and he was outshone by Rafael Meade. Farrington really was AWFUL

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Farrington was absolutely terrible. Jason Peake was dreadful but in my 30 years of watching the Albion no-one , and I do mean no-one , has come close to Ashley Neal for being utterly inept and without any footballing ability whatsoever.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Actually, this should be a no-brainer, as previously mentioned:

Farrington a clear winner in front of Graeme Smith with Kitson a close third.

scooter1

How soon is now?
A few people mentioned Mcleod and Hawkins. I think in both instances thats a bit harsh, both played ok, got injured, were rushed back, got re-injured and were never the same again. For me it has to be Savage(lazy big fish in a small pond), Thornton(?, little fella with blond hair last season, seemed out of his depth on a football pitch) or CKR who just came accross as plain lazy

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
surely Turienzo was worse than Kitson? We splashed a load of cash on him and got nothing in return. Kitson was free and was injured rather than shite - at the end of the season he started to play well

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think the one that hurt the most was Barrett because he had so much potential. cant blame Kitson for his injuries but that was a great disappointment too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Joe Corrigan?

Don't agree about Mickey Thomas. He became a legend the day he reduced Paul Hart to tears (and to the grass) by squeezing his jewels 20 years before Vinny Jones thought about it.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd agree with many of the names above - Neal, Farrington and Turienzo especially - but I didn't think 'yeah' about any of them beforehand. The one that I definitely remember thinking 'that's a good signing and shows we're going in the right direction' was Livermore - Championship with Hull, promotion with Millwall and in a position that we needed someone in. What a disappointment.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Jason Dodd.

Always seemed a good pro for Southampton, we sign him and he's hardly ever fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here