Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any coppers out there?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
...and here lies the problem. When you are armed with a variety of powers and laws, not to mention weapons, you do need to be a little circumspect and measured at times. If we all had a bit more thought, respect and dignity for others then half these crazy ideas and laws would not be needed.

It's no problem really. I am almost always circumspect, measured and respectful of law abiding people and even on occasion to people breaking the law if they return a similar attitude. Out and out criminals however do not command my respect or deserve any and therefore get treated firmly but fairly but in no way do they ever get my respect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
An old friend, who worked for Surrey Police on their computers once told me that people would be absolutely astounded at the amount of information that is on the computers about each individual. If you know a villian and have been speaking to him, even perfectly legitimately, it is a fair chance it will be recorded and that you will be unaware of this.

I once heard it said that the reason the prisons are full is because people believe the police are idiots!!!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Its an interesting point about people on power trips being employed as police officers. They certainly do exist and generally stand out like a sore thumb within the police. They command very little respect amongst other officers due to the damage they usually cause during the course of their careers. They are usually the ones who always seem to get assaulted and complained about where others seem able to talk down situations or deal with things better. Power trip people exist in all jobs though, think about your own workplace and I'm sure you can identify a few! I know in an ideal world they wouldn't get in the police but we don't live in an ideal world.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well I know FOUR "coppers" and they are all decent sorts and certainly not "wankers" etc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
perhaps they should have been more circumspect and measured with ian tomlinson who wasnt a criminal .

That was ONE person who is now being, rightfully, investigated. To tar the whole Police Force with the same brush is as bad as saying all football fans are hooligans.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
correct, all been bullied at school and love the power.

they are still the first people you would call if you got burgled,mugged,attacked etc...i know 2 coppers, one is the most easy going down to earth bloke i have ever met, the other..wel she's completly up her own arse. as previously said, there are idiots in every prefession.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
That was ONE person who is now being, rightfully, investigated. To tar the whole Police Force with the same brush is as bad as saying all football fans are hooligans.

jean charles de menezez?

the point im trying to make is in other professions their abuse of the power bestowed upon them doesnt lead to death or people spending the night in the nick just cos the policeman didnt like them etc etc.

i'll tell you a story , i was crossing the strand late one night. on my way home minding my own business and not drunk. there was a big traffic jam , to get to the pavement i had to walk in between a big van and a car. whilst doing this the van moved forward and hit me . now it didnt hit me hard and didnt hurt but gave me a jump, especially as the car next to me and in front of the van was still stationary. i stopped and looked at the van driver and asked what he was playing at. he laughed started to rev the engine and push me with the van towards the car behind me. now a bit angry i started to swear at the driver etc. so where were the police to help me now . i tell you where lol in the f*cking van . 3 police jumped out pushed me up against the wall and told me if i dont calm down ill get arrested. i said dont try and run me over then to which they said f*** off and got back in the van . had alot of people come over to say theyd be witnesses but what use would it have done , there is no accountability for them.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Why would the coppers bother with such an idiotic procedure when they have had the cons in their custody and have beeen able to take "holiday snaps" right up to the very minute of their release. During my days in the Met, we didn't know what a camcorder was,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a shame because generally I've always met helpful understanding officers whenever I've come into contact with the police.

The exception to this, and it's an exception I've seen time and time again, is at football matches. Bar the few officers who are there week in week out such as our very own liason officer, most the rank and file appear to be there to have a ruck with supporters. They are aggressive and rude and it's a "do as I say or else" attitude - they appear to have no ability to allow for discussion and hearing both sides of the story.

Prime example was the Sheffield Utd match that Prosser was in charge of. It began to look a little dodgy and so out trot dozens of officers batons drawn - nothing like egging on the crowd. The stewards were told by the police to stand behind the officers - thankfully the safety officer over ruled this and the stewards handled the situation.

I also got talking to a police officer I met while on holiday in Austria who policed Crystal Palace games. He was very adement that the best thing about policing football games was the opportunity to thump a few football supporters as "nobody cares what happens to them". I'd put this down to a single bad officer if it was not for the attitude of officers inside football grounds backing up this statement.

Thank heavens that the Albion now try to make as many matches police free as possible.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If you want to know how to grade OB from Constable cockpiece to Inspector Morse just look at their belts hats and kecks.

The proper bellend OB will have so much kit hanging off his belt that he looks like he is planning on taking out the Taliban on his beat around Sompting,his cap/helmet Brim will be pulled down to his nose so crimes taking place anywhere other than about 1 foot in front of his shoes will go undetected..(When this officer speaks to you his head will be tilted beck 45 degrees) he will also likely have "fascist kecks" i.e combat style tucked into his para boots and is generally overweight.

I have seen some WPC's on patrol dressed like this but its usually blokes or PCSO's. Is there a direct correlation between how inadequate one feels in ones role and the amount of f***ing gear they feel obliged to carry to fool the public into believing them competent

The decent cops are the embarrassed looking ones stood next to them.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I saw that, I switched on about halfway through.

That woman copper was an absolute dick. Something needs to be done about that because what they were doing to people can't be right. Why did they need to do it in the aggressive manner in which they did?
I'm sure if they prison guards had said "We need to take an up to date photo as part of our exit procedure" nobody would mind. Instead she got right up in the blokes face and then threatened to arrest him for no reason.

When questioned about it she give some bizarre answer that didn't make sense. Basically they were harrassing people and there was nothing you could do to make them stop.
While she might have been a bit of a dick, I for one don't have a problem with the police harrassing known convicted serial offenders of the type they were talking to in that program last night, especially the kid who said 'I now need to make sure no-one's looking if I'm thinking about committing a crime'. Good - about time toerags like him had look over their own shoulder instead of making the rest of us look over ours.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
jean charles de menezez?

the point im trying to make is in other professions their abuse of the power bestowed upon them doesnt lead to death or people spending the night in the nick just cos the policeman didnt like them etc etc.

i'll tell you a story , i was crossing the strand late one night. on my way home minding my own business and not drunk. there was a big traffic jam , to get to the pavement i had to walk in between a big van and a car. whilst doing this the van moved forward and hit me . now it didnt hit me hard and didnt hurt but gave me a jump, especially as the car next to me and in front of the van was still stationary. i stopped and looked at the van driver and asked what he was playing at. he laughed started to rev the engine and push me with the van towards the car behind me. now a bit angry i started to swear at the driver etc. so where were the police to help me now . i tell you where lol in the f*cking van . 3 police jumped out pushed me up against the wall and told me if i dont calm down ill get arrested. i said dont try and run me over then to which they said f*** off and got back in the van . had alot of people come over to say theyd be witnesses but what use would it have done , there is no accountability for them.

Believe me I have a story that makes yours look like nothing but I do not hold a grudge against the Police in general. I have to admit I smiled when I heard that one of the ones that hit me had been stabbed.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
While she might have been a bit of a dick, I for one don't have a problem with the police harrassing known convicted serial offenders of the type they were talking to in that program last night, especially the kid who said 'I now need to make sure no-one's looking if I'm thinking about committing a crime'. Good - about time toerags like him had look over their own shoulder instead of making the rest of us look over ours.

Except we are all under suspicion, do you think the CCTV and ANPR cameras are there for what reason exactly? not for the small minority with dodgy criminal records thats for sure! They keep the records of ALL our movements for upto 2 years, attach to that the phone, internet and other bits of information and bingo you are as much scum as people with a criminal record. That's why they now insist on digital image for official documents they can match your image.. Still if you have nothing to hide eh!!

Have a look at this YouTube - You are a Terrorist (English) (HD)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's no problem really. I am almost always circumspect, measured and respectful of law abiding people and even on occasion to people breaking the law if they return a similar attitude. Out and out criminals however do not command my respect or deserve any and therefore get treated firmly but fairly but in no way do they ever get my respect.

but surely someone exiting jail after they have done their time should be treated in a better way than was shown on BBC2?

Fair enough he had committed a crime but he had done his time and is entitled to a second chance (this is kind of enshrined in law under the Rehabilitation of Offender Act). Brandishing him a criminal forever, which is what Manc plod were pretty much saying, is not going to help anyone in my opinion.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Except we are all under suspicion, do you think the CCTV and ANPR cameras are there for what reason exactly? not for the small minority with dodgy criminal records thats for sure! They keep the records of ALL our movements for upto 2 years, attach to that the phone, internet and other bits of information and bingo you are as much scum as people with a criminal record. That's why they now insist on digital image for official documents they can match your image.. Still if you have nothing to hide eh!!

I think you're confusing the police- who undoubtedly do attempt to keep track of convicted criminals as much as is legally and humanly possible- with the government. And to be honest I really couldn't care less if the Government wants to know about my mobile phone records. There's nothing remotely of interest in there.

Seriously, if you think the police have either the time or the inclination to record ALL your movements over a two year period, then you've been watching too many conspiracy programmes.

Either that or you're a registered sex offender :jester:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

Have a look at this YouTube - You are a Terrorist (English) (HD)
I was simply referring to the OB being right in the face of known, serially-convicted criminals to let them know they're being watched. The fact that all this data can be gathered is due to a weak government trying to look tough and pushing through dodgy knee-jerk legislation, nothing to do with the day-to-day conduct of the Police. They just use the law that's there, they don't make them, although there are a few that seem to think it doesn't apply to them!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They just use the law that's there, they don't make them, although there are a few that seem to think it doesn't apply to them!

Just like there are a few football supporters, and a few bankers, and a few MPS, nurses, van drivers and any other occupation you can name who think the same...

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Presumably the people being photographed coming out of prison were on early release etc, so technically were still serving their time. As such it makes sense to have an up to date picture, just in case by mere chance one of them just happened to re-offend before their time was up.
Not that I am saying any of them would re-offend you understand....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here