Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti-homosexual language hordings

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
your post times suggest you get up at 12 and post until midnight all day everyday. Just wondered if you had an accident today to break the cycle

Oh right. No, I normally go to the gym in the morning and then spend the rest of the day writing my book, screenplay and perusing for jobs.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Drives me crazy too. It is an example of how the gay community sometimes does itself damage in the eyes of reasonable and unprejudiced people. Obnoxiousness is obnoxiousness no matter what reasonable concept it is 'endorsing'...

You'll often find that the ones complaining aren't the gays / ethnic groups, etc, but other people from the PC brigade.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
You'll often find that the ones complaining aren't the gays / ethnic groups, etc, but other people from the PC brigade.

Lol I was just editing that. I am sure you are right. My complaint is only with obnoxiousness, whoever is perpetrating it!

although... i think stonewall, for example, has a lot to do with these kind of campaigns. they are quite a strident group sometimes, to my mind. this kind of attitude no doubt comes from a variety of problems that gay people DO encounter and have to deal with. perhaps i am wrong to feel the obsequious tone is unnecessary, that the majority who hold the retrograde attitudes are dying out... i suppose i don't know! but i don't like it in my face.

the problem is being a young straight man from brighton... i kind of get offended by slogans like the one being discussed, certainly because i am from an environment and hold attitudes which are a far cry from say, those in the north of england (as i've sometimes noticed and, in fact, been the victim of... curse my boyish good looks...), or worse poland and russia, etc, where the work of Peter Tatchell and his figurehead kind is very much to be admired.

what i am saying is that one message doesn't fit for us all, and in fact represents almost exactly the kind of prejudice that they are trying to tackle.

dicks being dicks basically and bringing everyone down, like the morons on here do when they spout arrogant toss (as has been discussed at length)
anyway, dickheads come in all forms but to choose such an advert seems to legitimise them

i just don't see how any demographic would respond positively to that advert

Last edited:

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Yes chants like that do bother me and I applaud the club for taking the initiative in such a scheme. It may just be banter to a lot of people, but it still creates the impression that attitudes such as that are tolerated and that its ok to say such things. It perpetuates the cycle and carries on for another generation.

My other halves family comes from the North East and its a lot more difficult to be myself up there, simply because of the ingrained attitudes of life up there. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush and his family are very welcoming and proud, but I am much more wary of being open about myself and i consider myself just a normal bloke who happens to be gay.

I guess what I'm saying is that to the vast majority of people on here they couldn't give a shit about it all and don't understand the fuss, bit it is a big deal and I love the fact that our club has taken this forward when its clear that the footballing authorities don't treat the issue as the same as racism at a footy match. I don't expect many will agree with me, but I'm glad there's a voice in the darkness saying we'll take a stand on this.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I heard a bit about this on the radio, although not about BHA. it seems that some gay's were even after their own stands or areas.

TBH, when you sit at a match you may well have a stranger on both sides. for the game your common interest is football. you have no need to know if the person next to you is from the LBGT community, a nazi right wing thug or a paedo...unless they tell you.

It's often the LBGT community choosing to draw attention to themselves which causes an 'attitude', it's all very 'poor me'.

Supporters at football see the match/ground as a place where they can act differently to how they act in their normal surroundings, that's why there's swearing, banter and abuse. OK, strictly it's not right but if you're offended that much then maybe going to games is not for you.

Just think of all the fat, bald, ginger, visually impaired or those who may not know their fathers. All could take offence at chants or shouts so, to coin a phrase. MAN UP!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes chants like that do bother me and I applaud the club for taking the initiative in such a scheme. It may just be banter to a lot of people, but it still creates the impression that attitudes such as that are tolerated and that its ok to say such things. It perpetuates the cycle and carries on for another generation.

My other halves family comes from the North East and its a lot more difficult to be myself up there, simply because of the ingrained attitudes of life up there. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush and his family are very welcoming and proud, but I am much more wary of being open about myself and i consider myself just a normal bloke who happens to be gay.

I guess what I'm saying is that to the vast majority of people on here they couldn't give a shit about it all and don't understand the fuss, bit it is a big deal and I love the fact that our club has taken this forward when its clear that the footballing authorities don't treat the issue as the same as racism at a footy match. I don't expect many will agree with me, but I'm glad there's a voice in the darkness saying we'll take a stand on this.

This

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps you might have said "is from the LBGT community, a dentist or a country and western fan.....unless they tell you."

Agree completely. I think it goes to show how far we've yet to come if a gay person gets lumped in with a nazi or paedo in the same sentence.

...and agree completely with Grizz. It's not JUST banter. It's against the law and is there in black and white in our programme every week.

( and before anone gets upset, Wog is an Australian expression for a Black fella )
No it isn't. If, in Australian English, it means anything different from its standard, racist meaning in British English, it's a racist term for southern Europeans.

From wikipedia:-

Australian English

In Australia, 'wog' was once used as a slang term for illnesses such as colds, the flu or malaria. This usage has been in existence since at least the early 1940s. It is recorded in the 1941 Popular Dictionary of Australian Slang by S. J. Baker as meaning a germ or parasite.[3] Another use of the term, which dates from 1909, was to describe insects and grubs, particularly if they were hunting insects or regarded as being unpleasant in some way.[3]

Today 'wog' is most commonly used as an ethnic slur, and this has largely superseded the other slang meanings. As in British English 'wog' refers to dark-skinned people, but whereas in Britain it was applied to African-Caribbean and South Asian immigrants from the 1960s onwards, in Australia, which had few migrants from these regions, it was instead applied to Post World War II European migrants from Southern Europe/Southeastern Europe, particularly the Italian, Greek, Lebanese and Yugoslav communities in Melbourne and Sydney.[4]

The "ethnic" character of the term "wog" came into popular usage from the 1950s and 1960s, As this was a time where many immigrants of Eastern European and Mediterranean origin who contrasted with the dominant Northern and Western European stock of the Australian population.

The term was often used in popular Australian comedy series Kingswood Country (1980–84). It was used in a sense that was often pejorative.

Although originally used pejoratively, the term has come to be used more affectionately, and has even been embraced by the groups the term is used to describe. The word was used in the popular early 1990s stage show Wogs Out of Work created by Nick Giannopoulos and Simon Palomares. The production was followed on television with Acropolis Now, starring Giannopoulos, Palomares, George Kapiniaris and Mary Coustas, and films The Wog Boy and Wog Boy 2: Kings of Mykonos.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"No homophobic chanting - perpetrators will be handcuffed, whipped and chained!"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, as a matter of fact I have:

"Any songs about bums, boyfriends or cock
Will see you arrested and soon in the dock!"

Crawley 'Gull

Oct 3, 2005
Crawley
Yeah, as a matter of fact I have:

"Any songs about bums, boyfriends or cock
Will see you arrested and soon in the dock!"

:lolol:

Anyway, I can't help wondering when this is all going to end. Banning songs about chavs, the Welsh, in-breds, people on benefits, fat people, people who own tractors, northerners, gypsies, Gingers, slum-dwellers

Lets just remove all banter from football incase anyone gets offended! This country....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here