Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti-homosexual language hordings

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yes chants like that do bother me and I applaud the club for taking the initiative in such a scheme. It may just be banter to a lot of people, but it still creates the impression that attitudes such as that are tolerated and that its ok to say such things. It perpetuates the cycle and carries on for another generation.

My other halves family comes from the North East and its a lot more difficult to be myself up there, simply because of the ingrained attitudes of life up there. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush and his family are very welcoming and proud, but I am much more wary of being open about myself and i consider myself just a normal bloke who happens to be gay.

I guess what I'm saying is that to the vast majority of people on here they couldn't give a shit about it all and don't understand the fuss, bit it is a big deal and I love the fact that our club has taken this forward when its clear that the footballing authorities don't treat the issue as the same as racism at a footy match. I don't expect many will agree with me, but I'm glad there's a voice in the darkness saying we'll take a stand on this.

I agree with you and I'm not gay or part of the mysterious PC Brigade.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I agree with you and I'm not gay or part of the mysterious PC Brigade.

Likewise, the footballing authorities have taken a stand with the "Kick Racism" campaign, I don't see them putting the same resources or energy into ridding the game of homophobia. I am proud that the Albion are prepared to make a stand on this matter, hopefully others will follow our example.

HOMOHOARDING.jpg

Not convicned it will definitely work.

HCQ

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
"don't come to Brighton and bear the gays malice,
we may have some wrong-uns but at least they're not palace"

Serious question; as a steward are you happy to enforce a policy advising ejection from the ground for homophobic chanting/abuse? Your rhymes would indicate you don't take the issue particularly seroiusly, and insinuating homosexuals are 'wrong-uns' is just wrong in itself.

Serious question; as a steward are you happy to enforce a policy advising ejection from the ground for homophobic chanting/abuse? Your rhymes would indicate you don't take the issue particularly seroiusly, and insinuating homosexuals are 'wrong-uns' is just wrong in itself.

Do you take every chant seriously at The Albion?
You must be a whale of a time, chap

IF I were stewarding in Britain, I would follow the rules as written, for my work.

Just like I always have.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's often the LBGT community choosing to draw attention to themselves which causes an 'attitude', it's all very 'poor me'.

And how exactly does that apply in football grounds? Are the chants of "does your boyfriend know you're here?" inspired by some flamboyantly effeminate gay fans in the stand, or are they started by people who think "Brighton's where all them gays are"? Homophobia in football has nothing to do with he LBGT community drawing attention to themselves, and is all about the ignorant people spouting nonsense.

Supporters at football see the match/ground as a place where they can act differently to how they act in their normal surroundings, that's why there's swearing, banter and abuse. OK, strictly it's not right but if you're offended that much then maybe going to games is not for you.

I think most people view football grounds as a place they can go watch football, not as the last bastion of prejudice, ignorance and bedlam, a place where they can spew bile for the sake of it because society's sense of propriety has people behaving responsibly in all other areas of their lives and this is the last place they can get away with it. If spewing abuse and insults (particularly bigoted comments) is your thing, perhaps all public places (including football grounds) are not for you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"don't come to Brighton and bear the gays malice,
we may have some wrong-uns but at least they're not palace"

Good one!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Do you take every chant seriously at The Albion?
You must be a whale of a time, chap

No I don't, and yes I do have a whale of a time (not sure if I can be a whale of a time), but I fail to see what that's got to do with anything.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Are people seriously suggesting that football doesn't have a problem with homophobia? Of course it doesn't, that's why there are so many outed gay players.

The sooner football as a whole comes to the realisation homosexuality and football aren't mutually exclusive the better. Hopefully this wil help to puncture the sub schoolboy prevailing views of a significant number of football fans.

I can't help but think this would be a lot easier if gay footballers just came out though. It sends a very mixed message that they don't.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I can't help but think this would be a lot easier if gay footballers just came out though. It sends a very mixed message that they don't.

Why should a footballer come out? It would be great if they felt comfortable enough to do so, and that is what the Justin Campaign is trying to achieve.

Someone's sexuality is no-one else's business but their own. Unfortunately, there are many ignorant people in the world who need to be educated.

I think the club should be applauded for their stance against homophobia.

It's one of the many reasons I'm proud to be an Albion fan.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Likewise, the footballing authorities have taken a stand with the "Kick Racism" campaign, I don't see them putting the same resources or energy into ridding the game of homophobia. I am proud that the Albion are prepared to make a stand on this matter, hopefully others will follow our example.

Agree

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Well then old girl, dont keep interjecting with steward this ans steward that every time I put summat on here ...I fail to see wht it has to do with every bloody thing.

Err, I've done that twice. In this context of course it's relevant old girl as you'd be expected to tow the party line when it's obvious you're a complete homophobe yourself, hence the question.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why should a footballer come out? It would be great if they felt comfortable enough to do so, and that is what the Justin Campaign is trying to achieve.

Someone's sexuality is no-one else's business but their own. Unfortunately, there are many ignorant people in the world who need to be educated.

I think the club should be applauded for their stance against homophobia.

It's one of the many reasons I'm proud to be an Albion fan.

I don't disagree with you about your first point. What I am saying is that it would help rather than hinder the education process. It's shameful that footballers don't feel they could (if they wanted to) because of the fear of consequences.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
has this been confirmed anywhere? seems a bit of an odd time to introduce such a thing.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't bother me who i sit next to at football unless there are noticable and dislikable things about them. As to what they may do otherwise in their lives I have no need to know so no need to take issue with so somebody's sexuallity, political views or even taste in music would be things I would not know unless they decided to entertain/bore me with same.

Bad language and sometimes loutish behavior can happen at football and is a fact. It doesn't mean that I condone it but it happens. There are very few occasions when this has ever been aimed at a particular supporter and that, of course, is a totally different matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here