Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti-homosexual language hordings

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In my opinion, the less people are bothered or show indignation, the less the chanting will occur.

Why not use that attitude for racist chants. Tell all the black fans/players, all the ethnic minorities to just not be bothered by the racist chants. Ignore them and they'll stop?

It's not quite so easy, you can't just decide to not be offended by something you find offensive. Like your follow up post.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the point is the chants are aimed at supporters that the chanters assume are probably not gay but will find the accusation a wind up. like the town full of ethnic minorities one, its aimed at white people to wind them up about the demographics of their town that its assumed they are not happy about. its not aimed at the minorities themselves, if there a some within the targeted crowd, then they are not the targets directly.

not saying either is right just because someone is not being abused directly of course doesnt mean no harm is done its just some posts on here seem to not grasp the fact its aimed at winding up straight people not gay people, just as town full of ethnic minorities is not aimed at the ethnic minorities. directly. whether this is the best way of educating people when the issue is more removed than that is what is interesting.

Why not use that attitude for racist chants. Tell all the black fans/players, all the ethnic minorities to just not be bothered by the racist chants. Ignore them and they'll stop?

It's not quite so easy, you can't just decide to not be offended by something you find offensive. Like your follow up post.

The difference is that the chants at Brighton are not actually aimed at the gays, whereas racism is aimed specifically at the subject.
The whole point of the chanting is to affront straight fans. Why is "does your boyfriend know you're here?" even homophobic? it's not.
"we can see you holding hands" - also not a homophobic statement. So what if they could see you "holding hands"?
If you accept homosexuality as a right just as much as heterosexuality, then it's not any more insulting than a man and woman being told that they have been seen holding hands!

I agree about the portrayal in that video though - there's good cause to eradicate that behavior from the stands. Like I said, the same applies for other antisocial aggression, like insulting your parents or - as in the sign in this thread - calling you inbred or "scum" because you might be northern/southern/welsh/scottish/ginger/croydon/or any team affiliation. We could have a sign that just warns against antisocial behavior or shouting. Our fans are sometimes guilty of the above too.

If a steward hears someone shouting "you filthy scum" at other supporters, he would be correct in requiring that behavior be stopped.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The difference is that the chants at Brighton are not actually aimed at the gays, whereas racism is aimed specifically at the subject.

The chants, and the reaction they are trying to illicit, rely on the idea that you have less value as a person because you are gay/black/whatever. Whether they are directed at people who fall into the category or not isn't the important factor, it is the ignorance and bigotry that underlines them that is the problem.

The chants, and the reaction they are trying to illicit, rely on the idea that you have less value as a person because you are gay/black/whatever. Whether they are directed at people who fall into the category or not isn't the important factor, it is the ignorance and bigotry that underlines them that is the problem.

And I addressed that fact in the REST of the post you took the first line from.
Yes, that there are underlying negative regards in chants has never been questioned.
How would you stop all chanting that has those?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And I addressed that fact in the REST of the post you took the first line from.
Yes, that there are underlying negative regards in chants has never been questioned.
How would you stop all chanting that has those?

The same post that line was from? It has two paragraphs, one questioning why it is offensive, which I explained. The other paragraph is a bout some video that I've made no reference to and don't know what you're talking about.

But if any chant is widely offensive, has an underlying ignorance and bigotry it should be treated the same - it should be made clear it is unacceptable both through education (e.g. signs, articles in programmes) and through action (taking aside and talking to them or ejecting them).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's getting to the stage where nobody will shout anything for fear of upsetting women and children in the vicinity.

In 20 years time those that wish to make any sort of noise will have the option of watching the game from a sound-proofed, sealed-off section of the stadium. This section will be visible to other fans who can peer into the enclosure and see the strange minority breed jumping up and down, gesticulating, shouting, singing and generally behaving in an anti-social manner.

The rest of us can listen to the commentary on the headphones and clap if a goal is scored.

The same post that line was from? It has two paragraphs, one questioning why it is offensive, which I explained. The other paragraph is a bout some video that I've made no reference to and don't know what you're talking about.

But if any chant is widely offensive, has an underlying ignorance and bigotry it should be treated the same - it should be made clear it is unacceptable both through education (e.g. signs, articles in programmes) and through action (taking aside and talking to them or ejecting them).

And I agree with you, where it applies to such as that video you WILL find in post #81.

As for 'implied' chanting - I can't see how that could be enforced or should be enforced. I sincerely doubt that signs or an article in the program is going to stop a lot of it.
More likely though, is their awareness of gayness in their own towns will dilute the idea that Brighton is some kind of gay capitol.

It's getting to the stage where nobody will shout anything for fear of upsetting women and children in the vicinity.

In 20 years time those that wish to make any sort of noise will have the option of watching the game from a sound-proofed, sealed-off section of the stadium. This section will be visible to other fans who can peer into the enclosure and see the strange minority breed jumping up and down, gesticulating, shouting, singing and generally behaving in an anti-social manner.

The rest of us can listen to the commentary on the headphones and clap if a goal is scored.

or.... howabout the virtual experience, where the individual fan can wear headphones, select from a list the type of chants they wish to hear and join in with. The homosexuals could even have "does your girlfriend know you're here?" to taunt the straight fans with, "you'll always walk alone" to people with no partners or mates whatsoever, and "we declare you to need a shower fitted into your wheeled abode" if we play palace .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here