Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Western Road protest this Saturday 18th Dec

I hope none of these protesters ever avoid paying tax themselves..as if. Or is it that it's acceptable if it's you but not if it's a multi national company?

You write as if Vodafone were merely "avoiding" tax, not evading it. They aren't. After years of being pursued for illegal tax evasion, they were hit by HMRC for a £6 billion tax bill and then, all of a sudden, along comes the coalition government and the head of HMRC decides to write off most of the debt.

It's OUTRAGEOUS.

HMRC broke its own rules writing off Vodafone tax | THINQ.co.uk

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I am sure not one of these protesters will have a vodaphone contract or have ever purchased clothes from Topshop

Lets hope they avoid Primark otherwise they could be trampled by a heard of Rhinos in leggings and ugg boots

unlikely they would have such rubbish taste in attire, only an office wanker would shop in Topshop or student likely to be a chav in Primark and Ugg

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
OK, a few people were whining on here after the anti-Top Shop protest on Dec 4th that they didn't know it was talking place (despite it being all over the interweb) and it inconvenienced them terribly.

The last one was such a poor effort that I walked right past it without realising there was a protest going on. I was quite surprised to read about it in the Argus the following Monday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You write as if Vodafone were merely "avoiding" tax, not evading it. They aren't. After years of being pursued for illegal tax evasion, they were hit by HMRC for a £6 billion tax bill and then, all of a sudden, along comes the coalition government and the head of HMRC decides to write off most of the debt.

It's OUTRAGEOUS.

They pay, they run, no?

Too many governments are 'unable' to take on such a large corporation, seemingly. :(

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
OK, a few people were whining on here after the anti-Top Shop protest on Dec 4th that they didn't know it was talking place (despite it being all over the interweb) and it inconvenienced them terribly. With that in mind, and so the board doesn't have to put up with such whining a second time, please note: The people who organised it are doing it again this Saturday (Dec 18th). Again, it's a national day of action with protests in more than 40 towns and cities across the countries (so they're not just picking on Brighton, like some claimed). The Brighton one is due to start at noon at the Clock Tower as before, and the targets will most likely be the usual ones; Top Shop, Vodaphone, BHS, etc. So avoid the Western Road area that lunchtime/early afternoon if you get upset by people chanting in the street and all that.

Cue a swathe of Falmer Swan NIMBY style responses along the lines of "but I've GOT to go into town that day to do my Christmas shopping, why don't they do it on a day when it doesn't affect ME." The whole point of these demos as I understand it is to (a) raise public awareness that the taxes avoided by big companies would cover all the money being 'saved' by the austerity measures, and (b) to hit the capitalists in the pockets (the only language they understand) by trying to shut them down on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas. Holding the demo on a wet Tuesday morning in February, when the shops are deserted, would - quite frankly - be pointless. If you don't like it, why not stage your own counter-demo in favour of tax dodging multinationals?

I should add I'm nothing to do with this demo, and am too fat and lazy to go on protests like this myself, but just spotted it on the web and thought I'd inform people it was happening so they could (if need be) plan accordingly. Don't shoot the messenger. Ta x

Get them to bring their soap, we'll supply the water cannon's. FatAddick, you say you are by the seaside, where exactly ?? Southend ?? As a local tax payer I'm not prepared to fund these protests anymore and the sway of opinion is that most other people aren't either. This is our City and recent list of arrests included swampees from Basildon and so on. I've been to Basildon and trust me it has more than its fair share of McDonalds, Vodafone and Topshops. But much more importantly, HOW DARE YOU TELL ME NOT TO GO MY CITY CENTRE on midday of the last Saturday before Christmas. You my friend are nothing more than a complete dickhead. How should we know about these demo's I for one do not subscribe to rent a mob. Tell you what though I will be there to tell them to piss off, will have camera and will post events on here about your little innocent, hard done by shirkers. For the record my grandson has been in hospital with Pneumonia for just over a week, thankfully got home this afternoon. Puts your life into perspective, the money that once again will be spent on policing could and should be re-directed to this particular cause. You my friend are a complete knobend.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I hope the police crack some heads and send the protestors packing. For the record I dont care about "tax avoiding" multinationals as they employ people. Its not as if they are not contributing anything.

Its an excuse for a few people of Atilla's mentality to be "right on" and smash the system etc etc.

Its not f***ing 1982 anymore.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It's OUTRAGEOUS.

Hmm let's ignore how many billions they have also put into HMRC, the fiddle is relative to the size of the income which seems to mean to me, that you and other outraged posters, are still not too worried about individuals fiddling but don't want corporations doing it. Sounds somewhat hypoctical to me and just a little idealistic.

What is the difference between avoid and evade btw?

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I just love the way that people on here love to defend billionaire corporations defrauding the hard working taxpaying population of this country. I think the age cap doffing and forelock tugging is back. F**king pathetic. These companies are ripping you off to the tune of Billions of pounds, and next you'll be asked to cough for the mistakes and profligacy of another bunch of rich greedy f**kers, whilst these scumbags continue to line their pockets at your expense.

Dandyman

In London village.
I just love the way that people on here love to defend billionaire corporations defrauding the hard working taxpaying population of this country. I think the age cap doffing and forelock tugging is back. F**king pathetic. These companies are ripping you off to the tune of Billions of pounds, and next you'll be asked to cough for the mistakes and profligacy of another bunch of rich greedy f**kers, whilst these scumbags continue to line their pockets at your expense.

Spot on. Not only are the forelock tuggers seemingly glad to get f@cked up the arse they seem to be grateful for it and then make threats of violence if people point out the situation to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just love the way that people on here love to defend billionaire corporations defrauding the hard working taxpaying population of this country.

So how are they affecting me personally? I am hard working and I pay my taxes. Are they affecting me more than anyone of a few million people who dodge taxes or just don't pay any at all?

PLEASE enlighten me

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I guess the warnings are really for all the poor students mummies and daddies to make sure they go out and buy their sons/daughters new phone/games console/computer game/Jack Wills clothing/ before Saturday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
luzz soap at them........then the water canon....job done

Very odd isn't it. 6 Billion pounds for f*** sake. Thats 6 billion pounds worth of nurses, doctors, teachers, equipment for armed forces, police,pension rises, cold weather payments etc etc. Yeah kick the shit out of people protesting against that, idiots.
Tell you what, lets just carry on biting the pillow whilst we get f***ed up the arse again and again.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here