Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Western Road protest this Saturday 18th Dec

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Cue a swathe of Falmer Swan NIMBY style responses along the lines of "but I've GOT to go into town that day to do my Christmas shopping, why don't they do it on a day when it doesn't affect ME." The whole point of these demos as I understand it is to (a) raise public awareness that the taxes avoided by big companies would cover all the money being 'saved' by the austerity measures, and (b) to hit the capitalists in the pockets (the only language they understand) by trying to shut them down on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas. Holding the demo on a wet Tuesday morning in February, when the shops are deserted, would - quite frankly - be pointless. If you don't like it, why not stage your own counter-demo in favour of tax dodging multinationals?

Well YOU can tell my old mum why I haven't got her a present then!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
OK, a few people were whining on here after the anti-Top Shop protest on Dec 4th that they didn't know it was talking place (despite it being all over the interweb) and it inconvenienced them terribly. With that in mind, and so the board doesn't have to put up with such whining a second time, please note: The people who organised it are doing it again this Saturday (Dec 18th). Again, it's a national day of action with protests in more than 40 towns and cities across the countries (so they're not just picking on Brighton, like some claimed). The Brighton one is due to start at noon at the Clock Tower as before, and the targets will most likely be the usual ones; Top Shop, Vodaphone, BHS, etc. So avoid the Western Road area that lunchtime/early afternoon if you get upset by people chanting in the street and all that.

Cue a swathe of Falmer Swan NIMBY style responses along the lines of "but I've GOT to go into town that day to do my Christmas shopping, why don't they do it on a day when it doesn't affect ME." The whole point of these demos as I understand it is to (a) raise public awareness that the taxes avoided by big companies would cover all the money being 'saved' by the austerity measures, and (b) to hit the capitalists in the pockets (the only language they understand) by trying to shut them down on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas. Holding the demo on a wet Tuesday morning in February, when the shops are deserted, would - quite frankly - be pointless. If you don't like it, why not stage your own counter-demo in favour of tax dodging multinationals?

I should add I'm nothing to do with this demo, and am too fat and lazy to go on protests like this myself, but just spotted it on the web and thought I'd inform people it was happening so they could (if need be) plan accordingly. Don't shoot the messenger. Ta x
I feel a bit of protester bashing might be in order.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've been paying tax and NI since I had my first part-time job in 1979 and I've never avoided or wanted to avoid paying for the public services we all expect in this country. I'll be a wedding on Saturday but the protestors have my best wishes.

Laudable. Most employed people pay tax and NI but maybe it's just me that mostly knows people who do their upmost to avoid paying the full amount due in taxes and NI :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Totally agree that the Government (both the last one and the present one) should avoid situations where there is one law for the mega rich and another for the rest of us.

And have you ever been abroad and brought goods at a lower taxable rate and brought them home ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I feel a bit of protester bashing might be in order.

With people aggravated by crowds of shoppers the last thing they'll want is protesters getting in their way, I just hope the protesters have thick skins, it'll ease their bruises.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm partly to blame for the state the country's in as well, what is the tax on 200 B&H? i'll forward a cheque to the treasury today and clear my conscience

Well here's hoping the protesters don't target you, you tax dodging swine.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I hope the swampy bastards get a good pasting from coppers and shoppers alike.

.............. and that its freezing cold and pissing with rain.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
I'm out shopping with mates Saturday and if we get any trouble from them or seem them smasing stuff up we're going to twat them. Fecked of with these little students. It's time they got a good hiding.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I am sure not one of these protesters will have a vodaphone contract or have ever purchased clothes from Topshop

Good luck to them anyone who takes on the last minute xmas shopper is either brave or stupid. Lets hope they avoid Primark otherwise they could be trampled by a heard of Rhinos in leggings and ugg boots

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bored of whingers, not knowing that life is soooo f**king easy now! Not in comparison to my youth but in comparison to my parents. I was hoping to 'bump' into the 'anti-tax evasion' protest last weekend but the wankers were late. This time I may just chill out for a while so I can 'express' my point of view face to face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here