Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another UKIP rascist remark

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
this isnt evidence, its speculative and uses references that are circular and self referencing. i'd expect (and did look up before posting) clear refernce to its history as a derogatroy term, but this is missing.

http://www.nwasianweekly.com/2011/09/racial-slurs-chink/ - Someone discussing their childhood after emigrating to America.

I know wikipedia is scoffed at but the history section mentioning it was first known printed use was 1878 cites Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor, ed. (2005-05-12). New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-21258-8, which sounds to me like a more reliable source. Although that is just a use of the word without any indication of whether it was used in a derogatory fashion or not, it shows historical use, that is evidence of it's use around the time of the other suggestions of it's possible origin.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wrong Direction may be young......but is that really an excuse?
Just carry on ignoring what all the other posters that agree with me are posting and comment on my age, just shows how narrow minded you are really doesn't it

D

Deleted member 22389

Wrong Direction is only young, please forgive the narrow minded, self opinionated child unless he, what do they say, 'disses you' of course!...:lolol:

Well I'm nearly 40 years old, I think that puts me in a position to say I can at least have an opinion about the state of my country. I have seen what this country used to be like. I have witnessed a massive change to this country over the last 15 years. It's been a complete and utter failure on so many levels in my opinion.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I might be young but at least I know how to speak to all nationalities with dignity

So do I, that is I treat other nationalities with dignity too. Did I say I use derogatory remarks? No! Show me a post where I said that and you can then infer I am a so called racist wrong en, until then don't assume, your just proving what I said earlier, a sanctimonious prat!
You try to talk down to, no, 'at' people and you'll get it back in spades sonny boy.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are really thick if you can't see that in modern society this expression is racist to most people of asian descent, because of the historical use of it as a term of abuse by white racist gangs in the sixties and seventies. Also, beleive it or not, most non Pakistanis dont like it cos they're not pakis (your word, not mine)

Were you around in the 60's and 70's? I only ask because you don't seem to know what you're talking about. Paki bashing existed then - and it was racist. Paki shops also existed - and they weren't. Different meanings and usage of the same word. Same as gay meaning cheerful and fun, or meaning homosexual.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well I'm nearly 40 years old, I think that puts me in a position to say I can at least have an opinion about the state of my country. I have seen what this country used to be like. I have witnessed a massive change to this country over the last 15 years. It's been a complete and utter failure on so many levels in my opinion.

Yeah like we are having it so bad at that moment aren't we, I mean it's like the three day week all over again....

Christ some people don't know how good we have it do they.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Complete load of bollocks of the year award.

Although it is politically correct, in every pathetic detail.

How so? Do you think it's ok for Australian/British ****s to get drunk in bali & lombok and call the locals chinks all night? I laugh when I see the locals in thailand beat the crap out of drunk brits/western drunks. They go from loud mouth king to pussy 'please help me' dickhead in 1 second. :lolol:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You are really thick if you can't see that in modern society this expression is racist to most people of asian descent, because of the historical use of it as a term of abuse by white racist gangs in the sixties and seventies. Also, beleive it or not, most non Pakistanis dont like it cos they're not pakis (your word, not mine)

So, the shortened version (non offensive) of other countries (note shortened is normally the first 4 or 5 letters).
So we have Poland, Pole...British, Brit.....even Czechoslovakia, Czech. So the shortened version of Pakistan, Paki.
There would be no problem had not the people from Pakistan been targeted by racists....they were but nothing to do with the actual word, and so the word Paki (which is a shortened version the same as the others listed) suddenly became racist. If the Poles and Czech's had the similar treatment years ago....then these shortened versions would be deemed as "racist"......but they are not, just shortened versions that are accepted without a second thought....until the right ons get involved again eh.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It was common back then...in those days it was the unknown turning up in a white country and we all know people fear the unknown.Yes times have naturally changed but sometimes in modern society i feel that other race's really do dramatize things as they know they'll win in a court of law.

Yes, it was very common, I often got called a ****** lover in those days, and my mother got awful abuse, because people thought the asian kids were hers. We, as a family never had to dramatize how bad it was, but we did used to laugh at the ignorance of people who could barely form a coherrent sentence togehther calling my siblings, monkeys. And just to clarify, my Brother and two sisters were all born in St Johns Wood London, so there was no fear of moving to a foriegn country, they are British.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
http://www.nwasianweekly.com/2011/09/racial-slurs-chink/ - Someone discussing their childhood after emigrating to America.

I know wikipedia is scoffed at but the history section mentioning it was first known printed use was 1878 cites Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor, ed. (2005-05-12). New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-21258-8, which sounds to me like a more reliable source. Although that is just a use of the word without any indication of whether it was used in a derogatory fashion or not, it shows historical use, that is evidence of it's use around the time of the other suggestions of it's possible origin.

the wikipedia isnt very conclusive is it, slang isnt derogatory. the reference to the "iron chink" is interesting as its an assertive, positive usage. i dont know what to make of the nwsasian peice, its too recent (my point is the word has become offensive, when previously it was benign), and american. whats offensive in their sub-langauge shouldnt automaticall be considered offensive here. i suppose we can say that it is a "racial" term at least.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
this isnt evidence, its speculative and uses references that are circular and self referencing. i'd expect (and did look up before posting) clear refernce to its history as a derogatroy term, but this is missing.

http://www.sociology.leeds.ac.uk/assets/files/research/cers/Min Quan Finished Report.pdf
The UK Chinese people are subject to substantial levels of racist abuse, assault and hostility. The types of racist abuse suffered by UK Chinese people range from racist name-calling to damage to property and businesses, arson, physical attacks sometimes involving hospitalisation and murder.

The failure of many statistical and research reports to identify the experience of Chinese people separately from thatof ‘other’ minorities has meant that their experience of racism remains hidden from view​

This could possibly be an explanation for the lack of coverage of racism towards Chinese, including the use of certain terms. But, you'd still think there'd be some more evidence. It does include case studies, but I'm not sure how historical they are (I didn't read it all, it was a long document), but it seemed to perhaps help explain a lack of recorded use of it as derogatory.

I think it's clear the word has been around a while.

It's just the use of it as derogatory. It does seem a bit difficult to find evidence, but I'm not entirely sure what search terms I should be using, most are returning etymology results rather than recorded uses as racial slurs.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How so? Do you think it's ok for Australian/British ****s to get drunk in bali & lombok and call the locals chinks all night? I laugh when I see the locals in thailand beat the crap out of drunk brits/western drunks. They go from loud mouth king to pussy 'please help me' dickhead in 1 second. :lolol:

I have absolutely no idea what goes on in Bali. Never been there. Won't be going. I have even less interest in what you are banging on about.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, it was very common, I often got called a ****** lover in those days, and my mother got awful abuse, because people thought the asian kids were hers. We, as a family never had to dramatize how bad it was, but we did used to laugh at the ignorance of people who could barely form a coherrent sentence togehther Together calling my siblings, monkeys. And just to clarify, my Brother and two sisters were all born in St Johns Wood London, so there was no fear of moving to a foriegn country, they are British.

edited for you......

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, it was very common, I often got called a ****** lover in those days, and my mother got awful abuse, because people thought the asian kids were hers. We, as a family never had to dramatize how bad it was, but we did used to laugh at the ignorance of people who could barely form a coherrent sentence togehther calling my siblings, monkeys. And just to clarify, my Brother and two sisters were all born in St Johns Wood London, so there was no fear of moving to a foriegn country, they are British.

None of us on here would use language like that because we are not racists, and that's the part these silly people who get uptight about UKIP don't get. All most of us want is a proper handle on immigration, the numbers coming here for economic reasons, secondly we don't need children being taught an alternative religion that makes them eventually hate the country they live in and the people, because that is the most racist thing of all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here