Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I presume he has now had a good look at Poke and is not convinced

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
poyet did say at the begining of his tenure we were missing a Anchorman, perhaps we all simply misheard him

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good signing, plenty of experience at this level and higher. Poke will be knocking on Gus's door wanting to know what is going on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does make the Poke signing look a bit superflous, but then he wasn't exactly ideal cover due to his inexperience. Ankergren looks like he'll be the senior keeper, with Brezovan now fighting to get his place back.

I'm pleased overall, because the bottom line is that we are now MUCH stronger in that position.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
By Paul Camillin

Albion have completed the signing of Danish goalkeeper Casper Ankergren on a two-year deal.

The 30-year-old former Leeds United stopper has signed this morning, after passing a medical, and is expected to make his debut at Swindon Town tomorrow.

Boss Gus Poyet said, "Goalkeeper is a key position in the team, and with Peter Brezovan injured, we wanted to bring some experience*to that position.

"Casper brings that experience and has played at this level, and higher. I have worked with him at Leeds United, and know exactly what he is capable of; he also knows what it takes to get promoted from League One.

Ankergren's arrival means Albion now have four senior keepers, but Poyet feels both Michael Poke and Mitch Walker had the chance to seize the number one spot during pre-season.

"I am certain that Michael Poke and Mitch Walker have great futures ahead of them, which is why we signed them both, but neither of them makes me feel 100% safe right now so as a manager you need to make bold decisions.

"At the start of pre-season we saw both as players for the future, with the option to challenge Peter every day, but after Peter's injury we gave them the opportunity over the pre-season period to prove themselves, but I am*not 100% convinced.

"However, I always felt it would take an outstanding pre-season, both in training and in matches for either to seize the position.

"Casper is here now, and I want Pokey, Mitch and Peter when he is fit to challenge him for the position."

Ankergren won promotion with Leeds United last season, having joined the club in 2007.

In his native Denmark he played for Køge BK and Brøndby IF, where he won the Danish double in 2005, he also won the Superliga in 2002 and the cup in 2003.

He has also won international honours at under-17 and under-21 level, and in 2006 was called up to the national squad, but did not win a cap.

Advertisement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here