Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor from the argus says drop sussex by the sea?he dosnt even support us

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but my basic thoughts are Andy Naylor can go and f***ing do one. Good Old Sussex By The Sea is, and always will be, the club anthem as far as I am concerned. I cannot imagine the team coming out to any other tune - EVER.

Long Live GOSBTS

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No I have to say I didn't. But whether you enjoy the music or not, do you honestly think it is a big enough part of the matchday experience to make a decision on whether you go to the games or not? I really cannot believe there is one person in the country who goes to football matches because they like the music played before the game. This whole concept is just bizarre.

I don't like the shit Attila plays at Withdean but it doesn't stop me going (the souless stadium and regular soakings do that).

No you are right. There are people who will always get to games at 2.55pm having been in the pub or whatever and of course they dont (quite rightly) give a shit about the music or pre match entertainment.

But then there those that will get there at 2pm, those with families or want to avoid the crowds as kick off approaches.

Its those that the club need to and Im sure will want to appeal to, an ageing punk rocker playing his favourite clash tunes with the odd chart hit (under duress as well) MUST NOT happen. EVER.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No of course not, BUT its the whole "experience" these days. In fact the Albion board are really pushing the 12-7 experience, trying to get fans to get there early and stay late.

OK fair enough, I see your point. But I really don't think the music is something which will get any new fans in, where as dropping GOSBTS just might stop a few existing going.

In my opinion, there are 4 ways a new fan will go and watch their first game:

1. A kid who's Dad / parents who go regularly take him / her to their first game.
2. Someone who goes regularly takes their mate along.
3. Someone sees the results / tables and sees that Brighton are doing well so decides to go and check it out.
4. Someone moves to the area who is in to football so goes to watch the local team.

I don't believe any '12-7 experience' will make a difference in getting new fans in. It might keep people there longer and make the club more money, which is great, but it wont get new people through the door.

We all know that by far and away the best way to get the crowds in is to have a winning team. Nothing else comes close.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
OK fair enough, I see your point. But I really don't think the music is something which will get any new fans in, where as dropping GOSBTS just might stop a few existing going.

In my opinion, there are 4 ways a new fan will go and watch their first game:

1. A kid who's Dad / parents who go regularly take him / her to their first game.
2. Someone who goes regularly takes their mate along.
3. Someone sees the results / tables and sees that Brighton are doing well so decides to go and check it out.
4. Someone moves to the area who is in to football so goes to watch the local team.

I don't believe any '12-7 experience' will make a difference in getting new fans in. It might keep people there longer and make the club more money, which is great, but it wont get new people through the door.

We all know that by far and away the best way to get the crowds in is to have a winning team. Nothing else comes close.

yup, i'll go along with that

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
He's a journalist who is allowed his opinion - sometimes we can agree with him and sometimes, as in this case, not.

Why on earth should he be a Brighton fan? I think it's an advantage that he isn't.

Having lived in Portsmouth for many years, I've seen what it's like when the local paper follows the club line - a decent journalist on The News would have asked questions years ago about the club debt.

It would be a lot worse if The Argus was a cheerleader for the Albion.

May 22, 2008
He's a journalist who is allowed his opinion - sometimes we can agree with him and sometimes, as in this case, not.

Why on earth should he be a Brighton fan? I think it's an advantage that he isn't.

Having lived in Portsmouth for many years, I've seen what it's like when the local paper follows the club line - a decent journalist on The News would have asked questions years ago about the club debt.

It would be a lot worse if The Argus was a cheerleader for the Albion.

its cool his not a Fan he is just doing his job.
Though i love us hitting the field to sussex by the sea.

Do enjoy the music the NFL teams come out mind you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Naylor's going a bit further than simply suggested GOSBTS be moved.

He's described OUR definitive song, a tune that's been around for a century, as "Albion's dreary, outdated anthem".

What he fails to factor in is the perception from opposition fans about the club and its identity. Using his example, imagine if 5,000 Liverpool fans heard GOSPTS booming out and a sold-out Falmer singing along. That's something they wouldn't forget in a hurry, as opposed to RHRN that gets plays up and down the land.

I'd actually turn his argument on its head and say Falmer is an opportunity to reinforce the club song. As people have posted previously, get a brass band to belt it out at the opening game, or get the words to do across the big screen karaoke-style. That way everybody might pick up a fews extra lines of the song.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I see Andy's point regarding people not knowing the proper words ( I have sung it in concerts a few times and there certainly are a "lot " of words)

Seemed to be quite a few who knew it (or at least the 1st verse) during the first half at Tranmere last Saturday.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
And I agree with Commander. Nobody but NOBODY makes a decision to go to football simply based on the music they play and to say "a modern song will attract younger fans" is utter nonsense.

True. And my son, who is 19, never heard GOSBTS at the Goldstone but he regards it as OUR Anthem. What else is played over the tannoy before the game well, who cares. But he and I - from different generations - would regard GOSBTS as SACROSANCT.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It HAS to be GOSBTS.

If it absolutely had to be something new then it would have to be the the Fat Boy Slim number "You're Not From Brighton"...of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here