Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor from the argus says drop sussex by the sea?he dosnt even support us

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
In the last year or so I started getting a little bit of respect for Naylor, he seemed to be reporting on all things Albion with a bit of objectivity!

Now, with one pathetic article in the local rag, he has exposed himself as a small town hack with no future!

Yup, I'm sure you'll get a lot of reaction in the morning in a newspaper most people see with their chips wrapped in.

But, let me tell you something Andy, it will take you years to regain respect from the people that you surely want to read your articles to justify your job?

NSC is not representative of Sussex, GOSBTS is!

Shame on you and your downmarket tricks, I mistakenly thought better of you. I now want you to disappear with Withdean and all it's bad memories!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jesus, some people are precious around here. It's an opinion, that's all, maybe it's a crap idea, you are free to disagree with it.

Here's a scenario for you (not impossible, it's happened all over the place with managers). Everyone's beloved Gus declares HE is not happy with GOSBTS to walk out to, as in his opinion it does not get the players in the right mood. Any different?

Hypothetically if that happened, could you not just move GOSBTS to a different place in the running order?

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
My PROUDEST Brighton moment was Swindon last season.

I saw Andy Naylor step out of his car and shouted across the carpark "Naylor you are a TWAT"

He turned around and looked at me, a slight hint of anger etched across his ugly mug, I glowered back and he walked off.

Naylor = PRICK :tosser:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sussex by the Sea is one of the few songs around that are linked to a SPECIFIC club - OUR Club. We haven't used a bastardised version of a popular chart song like other clubs. We have a unique song that is part of our club.

Taking away Sussex by the Sea would mean taking away a part of our history and heritage, something we have been fighting to preserve over the past 13 years since we left The Goldstone.

If Andy Naylor, or anyone else for that matter, can't see this then they are STUPID.

Keeping Sussex by the Sea in it's traditional format is absolutely VITAL if we are to move into the future with an understanding and an appreciation of what the past history of the club means.

Play around with the whole 'matchday entertainment' scenario, but please please please DON'T f*** about with our song.

As per usual, Hiney NAILS it.

BLAM.

:albion2:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sussex by the Sea is one of the few songs around that are linked to a SPECIFIC club - OUR Club. We haven't used a bastardised version of a popular chart song like other clubs. We have a unique song that is part of our club.

Taking away Sussex by the Sea would mean taking away a part of our history and heritage, something we have been fighting to preserve over the past 13 years since we left The Goldstone.

If Andy Naylor, or anyone else for that matter, can't see this then they are STUPID.

Keeping Sussex by the Sea in it's traditional format is absolutely VITAL if we are to move into the future with an understanding and an appreciation of what the past history of the club means.

Play around with the whole 'matchday entertainment' scenario, but please please please DON'T f*** about with our song.

Agreed - i expect a FULL marching military band to be playing this when the AMEX opens next season :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I read the Andy Naylor article and thought this is like one of the NSC wind up posts!

If it genuine then its show how out of touch Naylor is. GOSBTS is a tradition for the Albion and one that must be kept for Withdean. And to say very few people know or sing the words is utter utter b******s

Its about time Naylor was replaced by somebody that understands what supporting your local team is all about.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I see Andy's point regarding people not knowing the proper words ( I have sung it ion concerts a few times and there certainly are a "lot " of words) however I think he actually misses the point. The TUNE has been taken as a football anthem, using the "hook line", ie Good Old Sussex By The Sea, that is all.....

When people do the Der der de derr etc, 99% of the people singing it do not know that the words are " Now is the time for Marching"...why should they? As said earlier, its an old WW1 song, which is not that far off 100 years ago, almost 4 generations.

Even Krispies doesnt exactly sing it correctly!

I know what Andy is getting at looking for a more modern song that appeals to the younger generation, as we are constantly told that we need to encourage the youth. To a certain degree I think the club would prefer it if us oldies would go away leaving more space for the more trendy "new" fan. This also falls into the argument about "goal music" , etc etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must be totally alone on here in not thinking that Naylor is anything but a guy doing a job to the best of his ability. Compared to Vinnicombe he is a f***ing maestro at match reports too. So he thinks it might be an idea to get rid of GOSBTS, the vast majority don't agree and it won't happen on Naylor's say so anyway, so a witchhunt is a bit ott, imo.

The flak Ward and Naylor get on here is a bit childish imo :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I must be totally alone on here in not thinking that Naylor is anything but a guy doing a job to the best of his ability. Compared to Vinnicombe he is a f***ing maestro at match reports too. So he thinks it might be an idea to get rid of GOSBTS, the vast majority don't agree and it won't happen on Naylor's say so anyway, so a witchhunt is a bit ott, imo.

absolutely

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I think you are right on the Naylor front. I generally think he gets it about right. He is talking out of his arse on the GOSBTS front but it's a newspaper and it's supposed to get people talking and it has done the trick, so he'd be happy with that.

As for Ward, I think he is crap on the radio, crap in the programme and I find him very dull. Have stopped listening to the phone in as a result.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In my opinion AN thinks he is something special and looks down his nose at the fans. Keep GOSBTS.

Personally, don't want to hear pumped up club music at Falmer, though accept that this, combined with cheap student tickets may increase the fan base !

I really do not understand this at all. Why do people think playing "pumped up club music" will increase the fan base? Is there any evidence to support this? Do you think that people who like "pumped up club music" will go to Falmer to listen to it? Or do you think maybe they will go to a club instead? People go to football to watch football, not to listen to the music played over the tannoy before the game. Don't they?

Can you actually imagine a scenario of "Are you coming to football this week?" "No, whilst I enjoy the football and the atmosphere, they don't play any pumped up club music before the game so I think I'll give it a miss". ??

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I actually think Naylor's match reports are OK.

He (most of the time) appears to be at the same game I was at.

He is purely fishing when it comes to Sussex By the Sea. And it seems by the reaction on here he has done a good job. He is probably sniggering over the PC this morning at the reaction he's got. No doubt next week he'll fill more column inches with a follow up piece.

I only hope that with a decent PA at the Amex, (and sometimes a Brass Band to play it) GOSBTS can be sung slowly and proudly when the Albion come onto the pitch.

It would be nice however if a few more could actually learn at least one of the verses, rather than the der de der de der der bit.......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I really do not understand this at all. Why do people think playing "pumped up club music" will increase the fan base? Is there any evidence to support this? Do you think that people who like "pumped up club music" will go to Falmer to listen to it? Or do you think maybe they will go to a club instead? People go to football to watch football, not to listen to the music played over the tannoy before the game. Don't they?

Can you actually imagine a scenario of "Are you coming to football this week?" "No, whilst I enjoy the football and the atmosphere, they don't play any pumped up club music before the game so I think I'll give it a miss". ??

Did you go to MKD a couple of years ago....that was a real mix ( and a fantstic sound system) from Led Zeppelin to Take That.

and I think that is really what people want to hear..( maybe I am wrong its just an opinion) but the crowd at Falmer is going to be very different from the die hards at Withdean so I think the days of the music played currently are gone. ( talking of Take That, has Atilla ever played "rule the World"?) marvellous song

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No I agree with you on that score. I also think there's nothing wrong with people asking "Why DO we play that brass band song before the players come out?" as the answer has been given quite eloquently on several threads over the last few days - as it is every time the question comes up

And I agree with Commander. Nobody but NOBODY makes a decision to go to football simply based on the music they play and to say "a modern song will attract younger fans" is utter nonsense.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Did you go to MKD a couple of years ago....that was a real mix ( and a fantstic sound system) from Led Zeppelin to Take That.

and I think that is really what people want to hear..( maybe I am wrong its just an opinion) but the crowd at Falmer is going to be very different from the die hards at Withdean so I think the days of the music played currently are gone. ( talking of Take That, has Atilla ever played "rule the World"?) marvellous song

Now to be fair to MK Dons that was a brilliant selection. I couldnt believe it that it was Led Zeppelin followed by Poker Face or some such.

Atilla must not, MUST NOT be anywhere near the matchday entertainment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

100% agree. He gets slaughtered on here for trivial reasons. He suggested the club might consider moving Sussex by the sea to a different slot. SO f***ing WHAT?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

No I have to say I didn't. But whether you enjoy the music or not, do you honestly think it is a big enough part of the matchday experience to make a decision on whether you go to the games or not? I really cannot believe there is one person in the country who goes to football matches because they like the music played before the game. This whole concept is just bizarre.

I don't like the shit Attila plays at Withdean but it doesn't stop me going (the souless stadium and regular soakings do that).

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton

Agree 100% with Hiney ... I also have a very personal reason for keeping GOSBTS over my dead body:
In the summer of 1966 on a hot Saturday as England were beating Mexico in the World Cup I attended a Wolf Cub Golden Jubilee celebration at Withdean Stadium (the theatre of trees) and one of the highlights for us as 10 year-olds was a mass singing of GOSBTS .... so forever in my life that song is linked to England's 1966 World Cup triumph, our ground for the past 11 years and of course my club.
Naylor has no idea!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No I have to say I didn't. But whether you enjoy the music or not, do you honestly think it is a big enough part of the matchday experience to make a decision on whether you go to the games or not? I really cannot believe there is one person in the country who goes to football matches because they like the music played before the game. This whole concept is just bizarre.

I don't like the shit Attila plays at Withdean but it doesn't stop me going (the souless stadium and regular soakings do that).

No of course not, BUT its the whole "experience" these days. In fact the Albion board are really pushing the 12-7 experience, trying to get fans to get there early and stay late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here