Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Shame to see him him struggle again against Wawrenka.who is older than him. Surely Wimbledon will be his last tournament
I can see it being the US Open in late August. Murray has made it no secret in his career that he loves Flushing Meadows far more than Wimbledon and having myself been to both, the atmosphere is off the scale compared to SW19. Arthur Ashe Stadium took my breath away when the Americans went crazy for Coco Gauff last summer! The heatwave was blisteringly hot in the evenings - it didn't cool down at night like it does in Britain.

Tip - Holger Rune to win the French Open men's. 40/1.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Nadal is jacking it in now he's lost in the early rounds, he realises there's no point if he can't compete at the highest level anymore. Why keep flogging a dead horse?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Nadal is jacking it in now he's lost in the early rounds, he realises there's no point if he can't compete at the highest level anymore. Why keep flogging a dead horse?
He's just become a father for the first time so I can't imagine he'd be overjoyed travelling the world, losing early every tournament and missing his first child grow up. It's an easier choice for Nadal.

As for Andy Murray, I have complete respect for him carrying on and dreaming of making the second week of a Grand Slam (which he's still capable of on grass or a hard court) and putting his ageing body through hell - having operations and the dreaded ice baths (as he has always done).

Then again he might just be wanting to avoid the dreaded commentary team at Wimbledon of smug Andrew Castle, bottler Tim Henman, naughty boy Boris Becker and the terrible presenter Clare Balding. We've lost the very likeable Sue Barker and the only GOLD commentator/summariser is Johnny Mac. He still really knows his stuff.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He's just become a father for the first time so I can't imagine he'd be overjoyed travelling the world, losing early every tournament and missing his first child grow up. It's an easier choice for Nadal.

As for Andy Murray, I have complete respect for him carrying on and dreaming of making the second week of a Grand Slam (which he's still capable of on grass or a hard court) and putting his ageing body through hell - having operations and the dreaded ice baths (as he has always done).

Then again he might just be wanting to avoid the dreaded commentary team at Wimbledon of smug Andrew Castle, bottler Tim Henman, naughty boy Boris Becker and the terrible presenter Clare Balding. We've lost the very likeable Sue Barker and the only GOLD commentator/summariser is Johnny Mac. He still really knows his stuff.
Becker is great. I love listening to his commentary/analysis. He says exactly what he thinks with no concern whatsoever.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow. So you have to retire as soon as you're passed your best according to some, even if you love what you do.

Jack Nicklaus probably doesn't win his 6th Masters at the age of 46 by some poster's logic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He said it meant more to him beating John Higgins at the Crucible at the age of 52 than any of his six world titles! I remember that - I had a tear in my eye when he potted match ball! 🙂
Not to mention beating Ronnie to win the Masters in '97 - all be it some would have had him retired by then.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was his wife who advised him to retire. He asked her why and she replied "You're approaching forty, love"

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
What a brilliant match on EuroSport between Britain's Katie Boullter and Spain's Paula Badosa. One set all. Very tense and both very pretty! 😍

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Oh Katie. 😰

What an incredible final set. It felt like a final with the nerves on both sides. So many breaks of serve it was agonising at the end.

All British players are now out in the first round.
-Jack Draper
-Andy Murray
-Cameron Norrie
-Dan Evans
-Harriet Dart
-Katie Boulter.

Novak Djokovic looked very average tonight in beating a French wild card 6-4, 7-6, 6-4.

A new generation is taking over the game.

What a shame Nick Kygrios' best (or only) mate Thanasi Cockinakis got through. Said to Wawrinka a few years ago: "Sorry pal. My mate (Thenasi) banged your bird. Sorry to have to tell you that". :wanker: All on Wikipedia.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I see that the French Open has now banned drinking alcohol from the seats after David Goffin was spat at and a couple of pints have allegedly been luzzed at players.

Sad for tennis but necessary IMO in this instance. Nice to note that the tournament director, Amelie Mauresmo, understands and has called out France in whole of having a toxic culture of sometimes hatred and maybe insinuating a problem with alcohol.

At least with Wimbledon the crowd are fully respectful towards both players on every match - even when Andy Murray was in his prime.

Thoughts? An overreaction from the French or are they showing some balls? (pardon the pun)

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
So Andy Murray got his wish, a nice pay day being last on centre court and live on the beeb

*Ker-ching*

Thank god he lost, please don't come back next year.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So Andy Murray got his wish, a nice pay day being last on centre court and live on the beeb

*Ker-ching*

Thank god he lost, please don't come back next year.
:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here