Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So Andy Murray got his wish, a nice pay day being last on centre court and live on the beeb

*Ker-ching*

Thank god he lost, please don't come back next year.
He deserved to lose but the tournament decides prize money not where they play. Do you hate Hamilton and Coldplay too?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolute star. :love:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Gutted for Andy. A brilliant man and champion.

Really sad we don’t get to watch him play anymore. Strength, guts, hardwork and talent - an inspiration.

One of the greatest sportsmen to ever come out of the UK.
Because his measure is against other British Tennis players, a sport we are rubbish at. If you measure him against everyone who played tennis he wouldn't even make the top 100

he was succesfull as Marit Safin, Jim Courier and Petr Korda. what a legend

won 3 slams but lost 8 ?

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry these are not good examples, the point of discussion is around whether a sportsperson should continue playing despite being well past their sell by date. Musicians can re-invent themselves and football managers can rebuild their careers elsewhere

I'd have more respect if he was honest with himself and hung up his racquet at the right time. I believe he just wants the Wimbledon wild card pay day to draw crowds so they can throw him on centre court after the top players have finished.

Henman chucked it in when the injuries derailled his career and he knew he'd never be the same again as do most players
Wow. If you really believe Andy just wants the Wimbledon wild card pay day it's time to change your user name to just nob.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Best ever British player. Wyith the way he has kept coming back from injuries seems he just wanted to really compete in a major and at least get to semis. Unable to do this and a little uncomfortable watching him getting knocked out in 1st/2nd rounds so often in last few years

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Because his measure is against other British Tennis players, a sport we are rubbish at. If you measure him against everyone who played tennis he wouldn't even make the top 100

won 3 slams but lost 8 ?
He also won 2 Olympic titles (and about 40 tour titles which is the bread and butter of a tennis players career).

Getting to any grand slam final is a fantastic achievement, making 11 of them over a time period when Federer, Nadal and Novak were so dominant is nothing short of exceptional.

He’s one of the best players of his generation (41 weeks as world number 1 and 9 years in total in the worlds top 5).

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Best ever British player. Wyith the way he has kept coming back from injuries seems he just wanted to really compete in a major and at least get to semis. Unable to do this and a little uncomfortable watching him getting knocked out in 1st/2nd rounds so often in last few years
I agree better than Jeremy Bates, Andrew Castle and even Tim Henman

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

won 3 slams but lost 8 ?
You're a happy chappy, a tennis player who was one of the four who as a group were the best men's players ever, when arguable he was the 4th best he did well to win those three slams and an Olympic singles gold to go with it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Not my sport, and in early days thought he was a bit of a knob, however, he overcame his media persona, and what he has achieved is remarkable. In short, he’s won me round, and the respect garnered by fellow professionals shows his achievement. Hats off. Still not my sport😀

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
You're a happy chappy, a tennis player who was one of the four who as a group were the best men's players ever, when arguable he was the 4th best he did well to win those three slams and an Olympic singles gold to go with it.
er, no he was a long 2nd best to those 3, they won 20+ slams each and are the GOATS, Murray is not in that company

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I agree better than Jeremy Bates, Andrew Castle and even Tim Henman
You're just being a twat for the sake of it, ooh controversial. At least crodonilson (?) is sometimes funny. You just come across as a bitter bore.

Not surprised he lost again today but he has been an outstanding sportsman for this country and deserves a bit of respect.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

won 3 slams but lost 8 ?
Murray has won three Grand Slam singles titles, two at Wimbledon (in 2013 and 2016) and one at the US Open (in 2012), and has reached eleven major finals. Murray was ranked in the top 10 for all but one month from July 2008 through to October 2017, and was no lower than world No. 4 in eight of the nine year-end rankings during that span. Murray has won 46 ATP Tour singles titles, including 14 Masters 1000 events and two gold medals at the Summer Olympics.

Wouldn’t even make the top 100?… you sir have made yourself look a class A bellend. If you are going to make such crass statements at least properly understand your subject matter. Murray achieved all the above in an era that had 3 of the greatest men’s players to ever pick up a racket in Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

He would make any tennis experts top 30 men’s players of all time list comfortably and fully deserved the send off he got tonight.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Murray has won three Grand Slam singles titles, two at Wimbledon (in 2013 and 2016) and one at the US Open (in 2012), and has reached eleven major finals. Murray was ranked in the top 10 for all but one month from July 2008 through to October 2017, and was no lower than world No. 4 in eight of the nine year-end rankings during that span. Murray has won 46 ATP Tour singles titles, including 14 Masters 1000 events and two gold medals at the Summer Olympics.

Wouldn’t even make the top 100?… you sir have made yourself look a class A bellend. If you are going to make such crass statements at least properly understand your subject matter. Murray achieved all the above in an era that had 3 of the greatest men’s players to ever pick up a racket in Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

He would make any tennis experts top 30 men’s players of all time list comfortably and fully deserved the send off he got tonight.
I was going to say; definitely top 30 all-time and, maybe, knocking on the door for top 20.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I admire him as a top athlete but have never been a fan. I was hoping all the documentaries would change my mind.

Also, I'm not a big tennis fan, so that might be why.

I'm curious, though. Why did he continue to play for so long with all the injuries when he's been so uncompetitive? I don't think he's been a top-three player since 2017, a long time ago. Looking at his ranking history, was there ever a chance he'd be back there? https://www.atptour.com/en/players/andy-murray/mc10/rankings-history?year=all

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I must admit - I absolutely adore tennis - but find the Wimbledon coverage sometimes all a bit too patronising and only have the sound on when John McEnroe, Tim Henman, Martina Navratilova or John Lloyd are commentating. Andrew Castle is just dreadful. Sam Smith is the worst of the worst though.

But kudos to the BBC for their tribute to Andy Murray last night. Top stuff. 👏👏 I had a tear in my eye or two. Thanks, Sue Barker. :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here