Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Andy Murray

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Emma Radacanu has withdrawn from the mixed doubles so Andy Murray has played his last game at Wimbledon.

Something fitting that it was with his brother on centre court so he could get a decent send off.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Radacanu is a bit of a waste of time.
That’s a bit harsh. She’s in the 4th round of the singles and has pulled out of the mixed doubles to give herself enough rest time and to concentrate on that. Totally understandable as it was a very last min decision for the pair of them to enter the mixed doubles.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Emma Radacanu has withdrawn from the mixed doubles so Andy Murray has played his last game at Wimbledon.

Something fitting that it was with his brother on centre court so he could get a decent send off.
Given the big send off he got the other day, I imagine everybody (including Murray) sort of expected something like this to happen.

Probably hoped for it in many ways, since it's happened because Radacanu's actually got through.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s even worse then IMO. Why enter the mixed doubles then? Let her partner down. You’re injured or you’re not.
An injury can happen after the first three rounds in singles. They’re not machines.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
An injury can happen after the first three rounds in singles. They’re not machines.
You're right the physicality of playing top tennis must take its toll. She has had far too many injuries for a young person.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So Andy Murray got his wish, a nice pay day being last on centre court and live on the beeb

*Ker-ching*

Thank god he lost, please don't come back next year.
One of the most successful British sports stars of the last 20 years and a thoroughly decent chap to boot. Your bitterness is bewildering.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
One of the most successful British sports stars of the last 20 years and a thoroughly decent chap to boot. Your bitterness is bewildering.
Difficult to compare success across sports, but he's probably the British sportsman I admire the most in the round, and the one who's achievements seemed the least likely when I was a child complaining about Henman taking so long to lose at Wimbledon because it meant the BBC wouldn't be showing the Simpsons.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Cynical decision because it's an evening match before her singles. She really shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place, knowing it was his last match at Wimbledon. She does seem a bit of a bell end.

Yes of course it's the right decision for her singles match but why bother agreeing in the first place?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cynical decision because it's an evening match before her singles. She really shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place, knowing it was his last match at Wimbledon. She does seem a bit of a bell end.

Yes of course it's the right decision for her singles match but why bother agreeing in the first place?
Probably because she expected to be knocked out in the first or second round?
Mixed doubles are just a fun competition rather than a Grand Slam

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Perhaps her confidence was at a low ebb, and inwardly she didn’t feel she would progress?

Delighted she has, as she’s slipped to 125? in the world….

If she’d exited early, mixed doubles with a great, what’s she got to lose?
Really can’t see the problem with her agreeing or withdrawing.
Murray would have done exactly the same.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Given the big send off he got the other day, I imagine everybody (including Murray) sort of expected something like this to happen.

Probably hoped for it in many ways, since it's happened because Radacanu's actually got through.
Yes Radacanu's not played doubles before and it was very much a 'gimmick' entry. Her next opponent in the singles is ranked about 120 in the world I believe so it is a match she should win on current form.

I was not surprised when I heard the news. I mean she decided not to play in the Olympics as it did not suit her schedule!!!

Yes the big send off was ideally timed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here