Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open letter to Andy Naylor

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Dear Andy,

Quite frankly, I am flabbergasted at the amount of column inches you’ve devoted recently to criticising my couple of minutes of opinion-stating over a week ago. There can’t be much going on in your world right now.

My thoughts echoed those of the vast majority of fellow fans, and the reaction I have had is overwhelmingly positive. I did NOT call for Micky Adams’ head, as you erroneously stated. I said he didn’t seem to be the same man who has legend status at the Albion, and subsequently asked if we could have the old Micky back. It was a one-off, heartfelt rant, a wake-up call born of frustration and disappointment. I have huge respect for Micky and have told him so in the past: that’s why I, along with many others, have been so disappointed at recent events. I really want Micky to turn things round and ultimately lead us out at Falmer. But no one is above criticism, and in this game of opinions mine is that playing a few records and reading some half time scores doesn’t deny me the right to say my piece like any other fan. I hope I’ll never need to say anything like it again - I certainly don’t want to. Things seem to be getting better already - here’s to three points on Saturday!

I have no idea whether the club are ‘furious’ or not - I’d presume that Dick Knight would be far too busy with the transfer window to worry about me. In any case he knows that I’m 100% behind him, and he knew what he was getting when he asked me to be P.A. announcer 10 years ago at Gillingham - a passionate Albion fan who speaks his mind. He’d heard it often enough at our BISA rallies and demos BEFORE he became chairman! I can certainly fully understand Micky being livid with me - I hope that time, results and maybe a couple of beers one night will sort that one out.....

I must make the point that your piece is a bit disingenuous. You’ve had a few digs at Albion ‘activists’ before. My impression is that like many of the more seasoned members of your trade you’d prefer it if we fans would just turn up, cheer and go home, leaving all the rest to ‘the professionals’. Well, if we’d done that in the 90s we wouldn’t have a club, and you wouldn’t have a job.

Ultimately, it’s passion for the Albion we’re talking about here - and it’s a passion you can’t share, since you support a different team. For that reason, however hard the voice of (the) Britannia may try and Stoke the embers of a dying controversy, I shall not fall meekly into Delap of my critics.

Yours, John

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Shouldn't that have been written in rhyming couplets?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why do you need to post a personal email to Andy Naylor on here? Sounds like your enjoying the attention in the Argus and on here.I totally agree with your rant on the phone in but i don't feel you should continue your crusade on this topic.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tomorrow's back-page Argus headline:

Withdean Announcer T-annoy'ed!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here