Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX Travel Vouchers - What a farce!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No, it isn't practical. So why introduce this scheme in the first place?

Well actually Mill Rd P&R is practical every single match so far. Don't even have to pause as I hand over my ticket to the ticket lady with a smile & brief exchange about the weather, enjoy the match type of remark. Including the cost in the ticket price seems very fair to me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I understand his point.

I went into the shop earlier and paid £1.99 for my sandwich.

ONE NINETY NINE.

I then saw some YOUTH sneak one into his pocket and walk out without paying the extautionate fee.

I've been properly RIPPED OFF

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bought two books of vouchers and have given them in every game I have used the P and R at Mithras on the way to the ground, when I have got the train I have not shown it once, At least if I was asked to show it I would be able to and have no issue with it,
Exactly the same, except for Mill Road, instead of Mithras.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I have paid for my travel vouchers and I travel to and from matches with a clear conscience. Does it annoy me that others are abusing the system? Not really. It's the rail and bus company that is losing out on revenue shirley and if they can't be bothered to check tickets or sort out a system whereby they are able to check tickets, that's their loss for being so inefficient. I would imagine that the club only subsidise the travel based on the number of vouchers sold so the club should not be out of pocket.

Do you think that the railway/bus company run the buses for nothing ? If they weren't getting paid they wouldn't run the extra trains

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was going to put similar - I suspect, although it wasn't articulated - the OP is syaing that others have not purchased vouchers and are getting away with the same service for free. That's nothing to do with him though, really - he paid for a service and used it, end of.

And I understand his frustration having bought the book of tickets myself, only to find it is being cheated by others. But the majority of replies here is just the usual over the top belittling of people with not much between the ears.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Out of interest, if you travel on the train, and having bought a ticket, it doesn't get checked on the journey, and you walk through an open barrier at the other end, do you feel "ripped off".

I can only presume you actually mean "damn, I could have got away with bunking the fare."

bang on mate, thats how it comes across from the OP

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think some on here are being a little hard on the OP.

The travel voucher system hasn't worked, it was unfortunately being abused - the club has taken note and we move on.

At least Away fans will now have it added to the cost of their ticket (I believe)

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
So at the start of the season when me and my old man got our ST's, we were told that you would need to purchase travel vouchers in order to use the park and ride systems in place. I think they cost £35 each so £70 for the both of us.

Not bloody once have they been checked!

I feel as if we've been ripped off. We complained to the club and all they said was that they will be reviewing it next year. No offer for any money back at all.

Has anyone else had the same happen to them? Would like your thoughts please.

Much obliged. :albion2:

:facepalm: Stupid JCL.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think some on here are being a little hard on the OP.

The travel voucher system hasn't worked, it was unfortunately being abused - the club has taken note and we move on.

At least Away fans will now have it added to the cost of their ticket (I believe)

If I remember rightly, don't some of those cheating their way out of this travel system by 'bunking' their journeys also complain about cheating football clubs that don't pay their bills? Hmmmm

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think im not going to win this... The service is great, im not faulting it, im just wondering if some people are in the same boat as me... and by the looks of it no one is.

I too bought 2 books of vouchers, 1 for me and 1 for my boy. Never been asked for them at the racehill p&r, but I've paid for the service and I've used it every game.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I too bought 2 books of vouchers, 1 for me and 1 for my boy. Never been asked for them at the racehill p&r, but I've paid for the service and I've used it every game.

I think that sums it up.

Unfortunately, because they are not collected or checked everywhere, some people have abused the system.

Including the cost in the ST price (and reducing the costs of Parking at the UNi etc) seems the best way round this.

Hopefully itwill also help getthe extra seats approved....

The organisation I work for runs a wheelchair accessible shuttle minibus service between the Sussex University car park and the stadium. It's free of charge to disabled supporters and any of their friends and family who want to travel with them.

I'd like to apologise to the 18,000 or so Albion supporters who never use the service. I bet you feel ripped off too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to know where the original poster travels from?

An off peak return from my nearest station (Burgess Hill) to Falmer is £6.30. So by rights, I should be paying £176.40 per season for my voucher book (23 home league games plus the five cup vouchers), rather than the £35 and a whole load of convenience. I think it's rather a bargain, myself. Even if you only count league matches, it works out at £1.52 per game. A return from Brighton is £3.25, so even Brighton residents are saving money.

I bet the O/P spends considerably more than £1.52 per match on beer, pies, programmes and so on. As examples of missing the point go, his is a pretty spectacular one.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The organisation I work for runs a wheelchair accessible shuttle minibus service between the Sussex University car park and the stadium. It's free of charge to disabled supporters and any of their friends and family who want to travel with them.

I'd like to apologise to the 18,000 or so Albion supporters who never use the service. I bet you feel ripped off too.

Used it for the Barnsley game Lord B, as it was on mrs' birthday and it was fantastic :thumbsup:

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
op are you, like 90 years old.none of us get our tickets checked on the bus we use but i never here no moaning i assume everybobys satisfied with the service.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have paid for my travel vouchers and I travel to and from matches with a clear conscience. Does it annoy me that others are abusing the system? Not really. It's the rail and bus company that is losing out on revenue shirley and if they can't be bothered to check tickets or sort out a system whereby they are able to check tickets, that's their loss for being so inefficient. I would imagine that the club only subsidise the travel based on the number of vouchers sold so the club should not be out of pocket.

The club has to reimburse the bus/coach and train companies based on numbers using the service thus the club are considerably out of pocket this season. With the transport levy being integrated into the ST/matchday price there wont be any fans getting a travel freebie.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I do sympathise with the original poster to some extent because of the difference between how the travel vouchers are efficiently checked at Mill Road and never checked at the quieter race hill, irrespective of what is happening next season the club should try and ensure the vouchers are checked at every location.

Never having used Mithras House are they checked properly there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here