Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex: Giant TV screens like nothing else in the UK

Sep 1, 2010
After a visiting striker shot well wide of the south goal, a mate of mine raised a chuckle when he innocently shouted "He's hit the 'f' in 'Ferries'". OK, so you had to be there....

It is bizarre, but that Ad and the one for Rediffusion is iconic of The Goldstone as much as the many memories of a footballing nature

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That stadium in Foxborough is about 20 minutes from where I live; I've been to the ground to have a look but can't remember anything about it other than just how bloody massive everything is - surely they'll be brilliant. I read somewhere that when they play basketball at that stadium in Texas (in front of 100,000-odd people, ALL in stetsons) that HD scoreboard is bigger than the basketball court that they're playing on underneath it.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
That stadium in Foxborough is about 20 minutes from where I live; I've been to the ground to have a look but can't remember anything about it other than just how bloody massive everything is - surely they'll be brilliant. I read somewhere that when they play basketball at that stadium in Texas (in front of 100,000-odd people, ALL in stetsons) that HD scoreboard is bigger than the basketball court that they're playing on underneath it.

I went to a Patriots game MofH but it was back in 1990. I'm sure they've rebuilt or moved to a new stadium since then as I don't recognise the photos. Or it could be that the old brain had gone. I was over there visiting an uncle who used to live in Ipswich MA. In those days the Patriots were utter toilet and they lost the game to the Seahawks. I learnt from the people around me that day that the Patriots QB 'really sucks'.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I went to a Patriots game MofH but it was back in 1990. I'm sure they've rebuilt or moved to a new stadium since then as I don't recognise the photos. Or it could be that the old brain had gone. I was over there visiting an uncle who used to live in Ipswich MA. In those days the Patriots were utter toilet and they lost the game to the Seahawks. I learnt from the people around me that day that the Patriots QB 'really sucks'.

Foxboro Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above link should help, the stadium you remember (Foxborough Stadium) was demolished and the site is now the parking lot for the current one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Albion screens will be the same TECHNOLOGY, as these ones, not the same SIZE :rolleyes:

One of those mentioned is 16m x 9m - it wouldn't even pjysically FIT below the North stand roof, where it has to be installed!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The club could invite us to stay after the game and watch X-FACTOR on the giant screens. Let us bring our beer to our seats. They'd make a cuffing FORTUNE.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Foxboro Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above link should help, the stadium you remember (Foxborough Stadium) was demolished and the site is now the parking lot for the current one.

Saw the Patriots there in a pre-season game 1989 while working a summer in Warwick, R.I. Got a pic of me and Patriots QB Doug Flutie - me wearing my Miami Dolphins shirt. Also saw The Who and Bowie play there.

Does WBRU still broadcast out of Providence do you know MoH?

Not as big as the TV Screen in Dubai that the heir to the Bracknell title installed the software for and got working last year ... JUST in time for the Dubai World Cup.

108 metres wide x 11 metres high. Here in split screen, multi-image mode ...

P1010370-r.JPG

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
A twitterfall of people's comments on the big screen would be comically modern. Will it ever happen? There is a twitterfall screen at most conferences I go to these days ...

Attachments

• twitterfall.jpg
    twitterfall.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 610

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The club could invite us to stay after the game and watch X-FACTOR on the giant screens. Let us bring our beer to our seats. They'd make a cuffing FORTUNE.

... and have Strictly Come Dancing on the TVs in the concourses!! Fans could start dancing and joining in. Saturdays would be sorted!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Surely this will be the end of ' put that board down ........ ' chants for the Withdean Wager man - frankly I'm disappointed that the club are showing such lack of regard for tradition.

' Oi, turn that screen off ' just doesn't cut it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
... and have Strictly Come Dancing on the TVs in the concourses!! Fans could start dancing and joining in. Saturdays would be sorted!

Easy 10 wanted X factor on. It`ll all end in a fight.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly what is the point of a television screen at a football match ?

Where they are used properly, I think they're excellent especially for the home team. You can use the hour before for interviews etc, then as it's getting fuller and louder show loads of recent/memorable club goals to build the atmosphere, and then replays of goals or near misses during the match.

It seems to be the general view not to reshow very controversial incidents, personally I'd like to see it all but that seems just about reasonable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here