Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex East/West Dilemma

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
Our group currently sit in the South Stand at Withdean opposite the halfway line. For the Amex we were initially thinking of going for Zone E in the West until seeing that there are no concessions for seniors or kids.

Zone D is the next best option but we will probably be in line with the penalty area and over the last ten years we've got rather used to being opposite the halfway line. This leads to East Stand Zone D which seems to be the best place to replicate our current position on the halfway line.

The only downside to the East Stand would appear to be the sun shining at you (probably not very often!).

So East 'D' or West 'D' - all opinions appreciated!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you want some atmosphere then West D out of those choices.
Maybe worth considering West upper if want halfway line.

If its still a tough decision then the concourse with views of the downs and the West being nearer the station should come into play

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The east will be the worst stand in the ground in my opinion. It's literally my last choice of every possible seat.

I'm inclined to disagree with this. Some of the best views in Test Match grounds are opposite the iconic main stands/pavilions. I think it would be most impressive looking across to the vast West Stand. And there will be some decent noise from the family stand too - they were great at the Orient game - they oftern made more noise than the so-called singing section!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Had a similar dilemma myself but after some consideration am now going for the West Upper near the front if available. There is just something about that stand that makes you want to be a part of it. Although I agree that the view from the East Stand to the West Stand would also be pretty spectacular.

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
I'm inclined to disagree with this. Some of the best views in Test Match grounds are opposite the iconic main stands/pavilions. I think it would be most impressive looking across to the vast West Stand. And there will be some decent noise from the family stand too - they were great at the Orient game - they oftern made more noise than the so-called singing section!

That's what I was thinking - looking across to the West Stand will be very impressive. The view of the pitch will be spot on too. The only downside is the sun but in the scheme of things is that really much of a problem.

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
Fair enough, everyone is going to be different in their preferences. The reasoning for my belief is:

1) Loads of kids will be in the east. Kids are an absolute nightmare in any situation, and especially football.
2) The price is pretty much the same as the west yet the stand is clearly not as good.
3) Sun in eyes.
4) The extra 1901 bit will take up many of the central seats anyway.
5) If you go too far towards the away end you'll get caught up in the wankfest that is home fans singing at away fans.

Thanks for your view - in response:
1) Not an issue as most kids will be in Zone F (Family Stand)
2) Yes it's smaller but the view/facilities will be as good
3) Can't see this being a major problem most of the time
4) Only the first few rows - plenty of central seats a decent way back available
5) Not an issue as we will be central

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think I agree with TCB on this. He hasn't added that the East will allegedly be "zero tolerance" which completely puts me off. BUT we should all wait to see what they say at the presentations before we're too set in our preferences.

Also, there's the fact that the end nearest the away fans will be moved for cup (and potentially other) games.

I think the front of the top tier of the west stand covers most of the bases.

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Start in the East then move up to the second tier when it is built!!!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

yeah, if you like the sound of screaming kids

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm inclined to disagree with this. Some of the best views in Test Match grounds are opposite the iconic main stands/pavilions. I think it would be most impressive looking across to the vast West Stand. And there will be some decent noise from the family stand too - they were great at the Orient game - they often made more noise than the so-called singing section!

I would just like to point out that Krispies put in a special guest appearance at the front of the family stand for the Orient game, which may have significantly impacted the atmosphere. (I don't think he is usually there ). However my 3 year old nephew, doesn't like all the shouting when we score, so can I ask that for his sake we either go back to 0-0 bore draws or show some restraint and limit goal celebrations to a polite handshake in the family stand.:lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I would just like to point out that Krispies put in a special guest appearance at the front of the family stand for the Orient game, which may have significantly impacted the atmosphere

krispies.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was that Krispies stood up, back to the pitch, leading them in GOSBTS towards the end of the game :wow: didn't recognise him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here