Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex East/West Dilemma

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No, the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun, but in fact further away from it.

yeah, anyway the sun will appear higher in the sky at the start and end of the season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must admit I havent even considered or read about where I am going to sit and am going to wait until the presentation on 26th Jan but was suprised to read on here about concessions not being available in certain areas. I would think that would be classed as age discrimination against the elderly which is illegal, surely.

What happens in my brothers case who at the moment pays a normal adult price but in 6 years becomes OAP if he hada seat in that area would he then get a conscession, presumably not because if he did why cant I and also what if he had bought the seat as PSL. What about my eldest son in 20 years time after having hada full price seat for 20+ years they are not going to give him a conscession on reaching 65.

Last edited:

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
Must admit I havent even considered or read about where I am going to sit and am going to wait until the presentation on 26th Jan but was suprised to read on here about concessions not being available in certain areas. I would think that would be classed as age discrimination against the elderly which is illegal, surely.

Surely it is not illegal as it is a concession and if it was then the likes of Tottenham Chelsea etc would have been prosecuted by now as they only give concessions in certain areas.

In any case it is not age discrimination as they have no legal requirement to give concessions to anyone whether over 60 or under 21as far as i am aware .

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Fair enough, everyone is going to be different in their preferences. The reasoning for my belief is:

1) Loads of kids will be in the east. Kids are an absolute nightmare in any situation, and especially football.
2) The price is pretty much the same as the west yet the stand is clearly not as good.
3) Sun in eyes.
4) The extra 1901 bit will take up many of the central seats anyway.
5) If you go too far towards the away end you'll get caught up in the wankfest that is home fans singing at away fans.

For me the west is perfect. There is a range of prices that will suit everybody, there should be some atmosphere coming from upstairs, it's a magnificent beast of a stand, you can pick a seat just behind the away dugout to abuse opposition managers, and it's so big you can go high/low enough to get your perfect viewing spot.

In response
1) families / kids are mainly only at one end of the stand not the whole thing , and i think you will find that there may well be youngsters in all parts of the ground and not just the family stand
2) Is that from experience, or are you guessing? - have you tried them both yourself after they both have been completed? - anmd based on what? - facilities, view? or just a lack of extra tiers (from which people can drop stuff on those below?
3) Would the West stands height block most or all of the sun? (or even the East stands roof very own roof depending on the suns height / time of year?)
4) from the pictures given out in the pricing guide it looks to be a just few rows in the middle at the back of the east that are for the 1901ers, not all the way down to the front row, so it appears that there are plenty of seats in front of them for oridinary fans to sit around around the halfway line
5) Thought the North stand and parts of the West were going to be the main areas for noise from our fans, not the East

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

What happens in my brothers case who at the moment pays a normal adult price but in 6 years becomes OAP if he hada seat in that area would he then get a conscession, presumably not because if he did why cant I and also what if he had bought the seat as PSL. What about my eldest son in 20 years time after having hada full price seat for 20+ years they are not going to give him a conscession on reaching 65.

Non concession areas are known to potential buyers beforehand so its upto the individual buying to decide if they want to go into that area and face the potential issues later due to reaching retirement age or kids reaching 18 etc.

Also there isn't any legislation requiring purveyors of leisure activities to give discounts to any age group, it is a business decision for each one to decide whether to do it or not - Age discrimination law is mainly focused upon employment, and even then ther are certain professions that are excempt from it (pubs and no under 18's behind the bar due to alcohol laws and so on)

However if people wanted to try to challenge it in court on grounds of age discrimination, it could well lead to the end of discounted tickets for kids and OAPs altogether as it currently discriminates against everyone aged inbetween who are unable to get any discount what so ever.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
An interesting point is raised by BensGrandad. I'd never really thought about it before buy surely giving discounts to OAPs is age discrimination?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Is it confirmed that the stadium will not be completed for the opening next season,Box of Frogs comment.

The stadium will be completed ready for next season but there is already built in potential for the East stand to gain a second tier, subject to planning permission obviously.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The stadium will be completed ready for next season but there is already built in potential for the East stand to gain a second tier, subject to planning permission obviously.

Thats good and all, but its the North stand in my opinion that needs increasing, if it had been bigger then I would have most certainly gone for the north....not now though.

It's all very well talking about the various seating areas (and I'm in an E/W dilema myself), but has any information emerged yet about the actual numbers of seats in each area? This could help get a feel for an area and the chances of getting seats in it!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't know Krispies was a sea power fan!!!?!!
I've posted that pic on the BSP forum a few times! Think it might have been from one of the early Club Sea Power nights - never seen him at one of their gigs tho!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here