Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Stadiums

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Buffalo Seagull said:
I think it depends on the market. For a city like LA, which has seen teams come and go, and has big college teams, I think you're spot on. But for the smaller market teams like Buffalo or Green Bay, it's all about the NFL.
Oh I agree, and my 'moving the team' scenario doesn't apply to Green Bay for example as they're owned by the fans and aren't some rich man's plaything.

I just didn't really appreciate the scale of college football when I first got into the NFL in 1983 (or whenever it was that C4 started their coverage).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
perth seagull said:
I'll never understand the American mentality and why they're so big into college and high school sports. I hear some high schools have stadiums that hold 20,000. I just can't comprehend how some high school team can attract so much interest!? :eek:
Have you read ANY of the posts on this thread? Try 90,000.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
perth seagull said:
90,000 is for a college stadium. Some high schools have stadiums that hold 20,000.
Ah, ok. My apologies for accusing you of being a dullard!

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Brovian said:
Oh I agree, and my 'moving the team' scenario doesn't apply to Green Bay for example as they're owned by the fans and aren't some rich man's plaything.

I just didn't really appreciate the scale of college football when I first got into the NFL in 1983 (or whenever it was that C4 started their coverage).

Nor did I. And it's not just football either - the NCAA basketball finals were on about a month ago and it's exactly the same...people follow it just as closely as the NBA. Baseball isn't as big at college level, but even the quarter finals, semi finals and finals of the men's and women's soccer was shown nationally.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
perth seagull said:
I'll never understand the American mentality and why they're so big into college and high school sports. I hear some high schools have stadiums that hold 20,000. I just can't comprehend how some high school team can attract so much interest!? :eek:

For many smaller towns (pop 40-50 thousand), high school sport is the highest level of sport that people have access to (without having to travel for any great deal of time).

You have to realise that there is hardly any organised amateur/semi-pro sport here for anyone over the age of 25.

Estadio Ciudad de La Plata
a nice "Figure of eight" design in Argentina

la_plata_ciudad1.jpg

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
edna krabappel said:
glendale_cardinals1.jpg

glendale_cardinals2.jpg

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona. Opened 2006. Probably has car parking for 50,000...

Wow :eek:

Haywards Heath College Football Clubs new stadium will be used for raves so the kids can get drunk as well. :lolol: Its part of the new campus popping up at the Heath.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo Seagull said:
I think it depends on the market. For a city like LA, which has seen teams come and go, and has big college teams, I think you're spot on. But for the smaller market teams like Buffalo or Green Bay, it's all about the NFL.

As a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder I can state for a fact it's all about the drinking. :drink:

I must add our new BMO field in Toronto to the list. I just hope you some day get Falmer...

toronto_bmo.jpg

Photos of our baby here http://www.flickr.com/photos/martingroove/

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The odd thing is that Americans seem to go wild for their local college team, even if, as in most people's cases, they've never been to the college. They just happen to live in the town.

The only thing remotely similar in this country is the Oxford-Cambridge boat race, but even then, you don't see the general population of Oxford turning out to cheer, only the students.

Imagine Brighton University making the national university football final, assuming there was such a competition. The only people who'd give a shit would be the students, the city as a whole wouldn't even notice.

Whereas even in some dusty hellhole in Nebraska, the entire local population turns out to support the Cornhuskers (this is a real name apparently).

So it's not just to do with population size, it really is an entirely different mentality.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
edna krabappel said:
The odd thing is that Americans seem to go wild for their local college team, even if, as in most people's cases, they've never been to the college. They just happen to live in the town.

The only thing remotely similar in this country is the Oxford-Cambridge boat race, but even then, you don't see the general population of Oxford turning out to cheer, only the students.

Imagine Brighton University making the national university football final, assuming there was such a competition. The only people who'd give a shit would be the students, the city as a whole wouldn't even notice.

Whereas even in some dusty hellhole in Nebraska, the entire local population turns out to support the Cornhuskers (this is a real name apparently).

So it's not just to do with population size, it really is an entirely different mentality.

But lots of people (and Nebraska is a perfect example), don't have access to professional teams. ie, there is no NFL, NHL, NBA or major league baseball team in Nebraska.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Buffalo Seagull said:
But lots of people (and Nebraska is a perfect example), don't have access to professional teams. ie, there is no NFL, NHL, NBA or major league baseball team in Nebraska.

There ain't one in Burgess Hill either mate, but I don't see 85,000 people queuing to get into Leylands Park

:lolol: ;)

Only kidding, I understand that completely, I just think it's awesome that people get so into a bunch of students playing. Fair play to them.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
:lolol: :lolol:
You are right though - it is a totally different mentality. The yanks see college sport in almost the same light as professional sport. One of the other reasons they get big crowds is the seasons are really short. The football teams only play 12-13 games per season, so fans only get 6-7 home games. A lot of schools also let their students in for free to try and boost numbers too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And I think I've heard that a night (or day) out at a sports game, be it college or pro, is more of an event than it is here.

Tailgate parties in the parking lot, beer and food on sale in the seats.

Would love to see a proper game live, but it's a nightmare to get tickets for Yankees games, so that was off thg agenda last time I was in New York, and for the week I spent in San Diego, the Padres were in the World Series, so every game was a sellout.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
edna krabappel said:
And I think I've heard that a night (or day) out at a sports game, be it college or pro, is more of an event than it is here.

Tailgate parties in the parking lot, beer and food on sale in the seats.

I leave for Bills games at 8:00 am. Arrive at Ralph Wilson Stadium between 9:30 and 10:00. Tailgate and drink beer until 12:30 then the game from 1 - 4:00 ish (beer sales end after half time) then back home by 6:00pm. Yes it is an event!

orchard_park_rich1.jpg

Last edited:

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
perth seagull said:
90,000 is for a college stadium. Some high schools have stadiums that hold 20,000.

While i was coaching over there a few years ago we spent a week delivering footie sessions in the local high school's 17,000 capacity stadium... Was quality but a bit eerie with it being so empty. On the last day we played a coaches challenge against the parents and nearly the whole school came to watch, about 3500 kids!

Went to watch Penn State Uni in a close season friendly infront of about 70,000 spectators too

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
driddles said:
I leave for Bills games at 8:00 am. Arrive at Ralph Wilson Stadium between 9:30 and 10:00. Tailgate and drink beer until 12:30 then the game from 1 - 4:00 ish (beer sales end after half time) then back home by 6:00pm. Yes it is an event!

orchard_park_rich1.jpg
I didn't know that happened. It sound f***ing sweet, I want to go!

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
bathseagull said:
While i was coaching over there a few years ago we spent a week delivering footie sessions in the local high school's 17,000 capacity stadium... Was quality but a bit eerie with it being so empty. On the last day we played a coaches challenge against the parents and nearly the whole school came to watch, about 3500 kids!

Went to watch Penn State Uni in a close season friendly infront of about 70,000 spectators too

I can't believe how many of the local high school games are shown on tv

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Some pretty good pics there driddles, looks like they built the stadium in about 6 months flat, you will have to give us updates on how the team get on...keep us going through the summer months when we have no footy of our own.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
Americans love sport .. Fact!

Lived there for six years been to loads of sporting events, eveyone a great atmosphere will lots of beer drunk before and during the game.

I know that in Miami the Dolphins stadium amd the new baseball (being built) stadium was subisdised by tourist taxes levied on hotel bills etc. The locals don't even have to cough up for it. Not a lottery grant in sight.

Why the Fck did i come home. This country sucks at times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here