Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Stadiums

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From looking at the pictures, while apparently state of the art inside, a lot of these arenas have the very traditional style surround, like the one above, proper bricks & mortar. Lots of them seem to be three sided as well, but are no less spectacular for it.

There's an article on the back of the Guardian sports section today which states that the NFL draft, ie where the worst teams get the first pick of the best college players, is one of the most watched sporting events of the year on US television.

There's a highly amusing quote where the writer compares some 6'5", 234lb behemoth of a college footballer with your average, Jeremy Kyle watching, vodka-Red Bull slurping, UK student

:lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
edna krabappel said:
glendale_cardinals1.jpg

glendale_cardinals2.jpg

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona. Opened 2006. Probably has car parking for 50,000...

Wow :eek:

that IS THE NEW WEMBLEY....but with a narrower pitch.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Impressive though it is, I remain to be convinced that Wembley is the 8th Wonder of the World (as our FA would have you believe, at least thats how they'll try to justify the prices I suppose).

Many of the World Cup stadiums in Germany were as good as, if not better than Wembley.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
chicago_soldier1.jpg

chicago_soldier2.jpg

Even when they rebuilt Soldier Field in Chicago, they retained the traditional colosseum style entrance and surround.

Magnificent. And I bet the city probably paid for it too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Smart Mart said:
Many of the World Cup stadiums in Germany were as good as, if not better than Wembley.
I can well believe it. That one in Munich looks incredible.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
edna krabappel said:
There's an article on the back of the Guardian sports section today which states that the NFL draft, ie where the worst teams get the first pick of the best college players, is one of the most watched sporting events of the year on US television.
It was on sky last week. I actually watched a bit of it and I think if you knew who the players were and a bit about the teams it would be very exciting. It's like cramming a whole summer's transfers into one night.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Billy the Fish said:
It was on sky last week. I actually watched a bit of it and I think if you knew who the players were and a bit about the teams it would be very exciting. It's like cramming a whole summer's transfers into one night.

I think we should do that.

They should bring together all the up-their-own-arse, £70k per week prima donnas who demand transfers mid season at a special gala event at a top London hotel, then let the Premiership's worst clubs battle it out to bid for them.

"Mr Boothroyd, you have first pick"

"I'll take Cristiano Ronaldo please"

"Mr Ronaldo, you are drafted to Watford. Next up: Thierry Henry, and I think it's Charlton Athletic's turn to bid. Mr Pardew?"

"No thanks, I'm holding out for Heskey".

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
edna krabappel said:
glendale_cardinals1.jpg

glendale_cardinals2.jpg

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona. Opened 2006. Probably has car parking for 50,000...

Wow :eek:

And this stadium is air conditioned !!

I've been to see baseball at the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix (45,000 seater) and they shut the roof for day games and switch the aircon on the night before.

100 degrees outside. Just lovely in the stadium.

Baseball teams play 81 home games, (and 81 away) have home stands of 8 to 14 consecutive days, sell out usually, cheap ticket prices, stadium cleaned top to bottom overnight.

But our players play too much and the new Wembley is indeed the best in the world :ohmy:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
san_francisco_monster1.jpg

I think this is the one that used to be called Candlestick Park, in San Francisco. Used for baseball as well, hence the odd shape.

Not so pretty as others, but deserves a mention for now being named Monster Park.

I'm sure it's probably named after the company, rather than just for fun, but it's nonetheless a quality name for a stadium.

:clap2:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Smart Mart said:
Allianz Arena - Munich
Yeah, that's fair enough. Although I haven't been to wembley yet I can't believe that any of the grounds that I went to in Germany are as good as a brand new 90,000 capacity Wembley. Munich has to be up there because it looks so spectacular. To be honest any new ground these days will be much of a muchness, it's the shape, attantion to detail and atmosphere that will set them apart.
Some of the wembley bashing on this thread is a bit unjustified, just because the FA paid far too much for it, doesn't make it any less of a ground

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just to really rub it in, these are Portsmouth's latest stadium plans (I know they come up with a new one every year, but as they're suddenly fashionable again, their council are obviously taking notice). The architect is the same bloke who designed the Allianz Arena (see above) and the new Olympic stadium in Beijing.

They'll probably have European money lobbed freely at them too, by virtue of the fact that it'll be regenerating a totally crappy area.
Honestly, if this ever replaces Fratton Park- and let's face it, they'll probably have it built before Falmer ever is, I will cry.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

0,,10396~3187184,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187173,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187194,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187183,00.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that that stadium will OMIT as much light as that.

Of course not, and here's hoping if they ever do get a stadium it'll be one of the usual flat pack kits a la Southampton, Leicester, Doncaster, Darlington, Middlesbrough.

But hey, the pictures look pretty for the good people of Portsmouth don't they (bear in mind a fair proportion of them probably can't read).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
edna krabappel said:
Just to really rub it in, these are Portsmouth's latest stadium plans (I know they come up with a new one every year, but as they're suddenly fashionable again, their council are obviously taking notice). The architect is the same bloke who designed the Allianz Arena (see above) and the new Olympic stadium in Beijing.

They'll probably have European money lobbed freely at them too, by virtue of the fact that it'll be regenerating a totally crappy area.
Honestly, if this ever replaces Fratton Park- and let's face it, they'll probably have it built before Falmer ever is, I will cry.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

0,,10396~3187184,00.jpg

S'alright.
If you don't mind your stadium looking like a gigantic TOILET BOWL

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Edna - the old Seahawks stadium was the Kingdome, built in 1976 and demolished in 2000. Towards the end of its life though it was HATED by the fans, not least because the roof leaked badly! BTW the new ground was built largely or completely (can't remember which) with public money. Before it was built there was a referendum as to whether City money should be spent on a new sports ground. The people voted overwhelmingly 'No' - but they went ahead and built it anyway!

One of the reasons was that the Seahawks, in the manner of American sports franchises, had been making noises about moving unless the Kingdome was replaced. The Seattle authorities decided that keeping their professional football team was more important than the views of local residents!

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have actually been to the aforementioned Gaylord stadium. It was originally called Veterans Stadium and the renaming caused a bit of an uproar, not in the least because many locals were unhappy with the amount of influence the Gaylord family would have on University business. Bear in mind that apart from collegiate sports there's nothing else in Oklahoma.

It's all very well to talk about their stadiums but remember one small fact, they have plenty of land in the US, something that is a bit of a premium here. Also remember that most of those stadiums only get used a handful of times a year too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here