Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I the only one who is worried??

livewire11

Banned
Feb 10, 2011
Not worried. The teams that really struggle are the ones that can't score goals and we look to have bundles of talent on that score, although a more robust aerial presence would be good for variety.

Then we might cross the ball in when we have corners! :)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Every game is going to be hard this season, perhaps a good reality check today for anyone who was getting a bit carried away. Donny played well, played some good football and are hard to play against. I actually think we'll get more joy against the sides who are a bit more direct and don't play a similiar style to us.

First the result was lifting,it was great to get the 3 points but let's not get carried away,firstly Donny are not expected to be very high in the league,they had four defenders out injured,later in the game two more players showing that this league is a big step up but they were the better team in the first half.Second half we gradually got back in it. CMS was Mr Duracell,he never stopped trying. Buckley was an instant hero with his well taken goals. I think too many fans expected us to win by about 4 goals. So let's keep our feet on the ground. Hope Billy gets better soon. Dunk is still learning and today he has probably taken onboard the lesson of tackling from behind.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We need to replace Kish from last season with a slightly younger version,if only to have more CM options.

lugsy

Sep 2, 2009
Lots of people will hate me for saying this I think we missed a big man upfront like "Murray". The amount of times the ball was hit long or crossed that he would have got hold of it. I am only saying someone like him, a target man.The passing game wasn't working so well so the tried the long ball with no effect.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
First things first!!! WHAT A DAY!!!! Amazing stadium, amazing atmosphere and amazing result!!

Was an emotional day and one I will remember forever!!

I'm worried about the performance, we played an ok team and struggled massively. CMS was isolated the whole game, we lacked any kind of quality going forward! Think we seriously need to invest in a solid centre midfielder, a centre back with legs and someone to partner CMS up top. Barnes was well of the pace today!

Worried that there are some big teams in this division and if we play like that today we will defo come unstuck!!

We played some good football with very little end result!!!

What are peoples thougts??

FFS first game and all that. Ok, first half we were not at the races but could have scored 6 in the second. Give the boys a chance

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
First things first!!! WHAT A DAY!!!! Amazing stadium, amazing atmosphere and amazing result!!

I'm worried about the performance, we played an ok team and struggled massively. CMS was isolated the whole game, we lacked any kind of quality going forward! Think we seriously need to invest in a solid centre midfielder, a centre back with legs and someone to partner CMS up top. Barnes was well of the pace today!

Worried that there are some big teams in this division and if we play like that today we will defo come unstuck!!

This division is a whole lot tougher. It took us 45 minutes to realise that you cannot lose the ball in midfield and get it back immediately. Second half was completely different and we will learn big time from this.
What an amazing day! Loads of tears and singing. Un bloody believable!

Hello to all the fans I met today.New and old, old and new.

Seagulls.......!!!!!!

We really are back!

BIG TIME

TNBA

TTF

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Lots of people will hate me for saying this I think we missed a big man upfront like "Murray". The amount of times the ball was hit long or crossed that he would have got hold of it. I am only saying someone like him, a target man.The passing game wasn't working so well so the tried the long ball with no effect.

I know what you mean about missing Murray, we could only have been flagged off side a couple of times and had Murray been there we would have had our usual dozen off sides, apart from that i don't think we missed him at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know what you mean about missing Murray, we could only have been flagged off side a couple of times and had Murray been there we would have had our usual dozen off sides, apart from that i don't think we missed him at all.

We missed his power in the air as this power would have laid the ball on for CMS which Barnes couldn't do.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

OUR FIRST GAME, this was our first game in a 46 game season and there is absolutely no way of judging how our season will unfold because of it or how players will cope.

Previously we won the first game in the Championship comfortably against Burnley several seasons ago but ended up struggling the rest of the season and were relegated and we have had seasons where we have struggled in our first game, lost and ended up winning promotion so never read too much into a single match - especially one that was such a special occasion as todays match.

Today we were against a good footballing side that plays in a similar style to us, most teams in this division don't play the same way + we had El-Abd and Elphick out injured who probably would have played ahead of Dunk (who look really good today and certainly looked capable of playing at that level) so our side is going to get stronger.

Wait 10 or 12 games before you start writing us off but i believe a lot of your doubts will have been proved wrong by then and once the team gets used to playing in front of 20k home supporters in our home ground (something that it looked like they managed to do from the start of the 2nd half)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We missed his power in the air as this power would have laid the ball on for CMS which Barnes couldn't do.

We missed the flag going up for offside you mean.

Murray also had a tendancy to jump too early and be on the way down before the ball reached him so was often beaten and lost possession when the ball was played forward in the manner you suggested.

Are you the new Mr Burns? or still just a miserable barsteward like normal judging on you r previous comments, including last season when we won the league.

Chill out and just enjoy the game for once rather looking for something to find fault with and moan for the sake of it .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't think the three in centre midfield works. Sparrow for me does not do enough to be in the starting side. The substitutions in the second half completely changed the match. The worrying thing for me was Painter getting exposed so much, when he was such a consistent player last season. Once Noone came on, Doncaster weren't getting nearly so much down that side. Saying that, I'm not really worried, as once Noone and Buckley came on we overran them.

This pretty much covers it for me.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex

Murray also had a tendancy to jump too early and be on the way down before the ball reached him so was often beaten and lost possession when the ball was played forward in the manner you suggested.

Are you the new Mr Burns? or still just a miserable barsteward like normal judging on you r previous comments, including last season when we won the league.

Chill out and just enjoy the game for once rather looking for something to find fault with and moan for the sake of it .

:thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I love Gus and respect all of his decisions , but i think letting Kish go was a mistake , we need his strength in midfield.

If nothing else he was an inspiration and helped Bridcutt so much last term,maybe this season would have been beyond him,but as an old head he was great for us,and gave us that little bit of the unsung extra last year,plus we are light for options in there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What a load of rubbish you talk. Have you ever watched football?

Murray was pulled up for being offside many times as will CMS as both play very close on the shoulder of defenders and as such are usually too quick for linos. Murray won the ball in the air last season more times than he didn't and that was one of his strengths coupled with his defending ability to high balls. With a similar type player, who I am certain Gus will bring in during the August loan window, CMS will be given many opportunities for goals. I am only critical if I believe a player has the ability and doesnt use it, or could use it better. If like Holroyd I dont think they will ever make it I will give an opinion.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Worried? No!

Delighted to get that first win, ecstatic, even - but there's still work to be done. I do think we need an experienced mid-fielder (a younger version of Kish) who can boss the midfield, and keep the passing moves effectively going right through to the front. Plus another defender.

Doncaster weren't the best team we'll face this season - OK, we got three points, but for me it's still work in progress (in the transfer market).

Great day today, though!

Paddington Bear

Aug 3, 2011
I think the second half performance was terrific. Nerves played a big part in todays game but i would like to see some quicker through balls from midfield. We got caught off side too many times.

wakokid

Jun 10, 2011
Lancing
It was a game of two halves - I'd be a little more worried if we played well in the first half then struggled in the second. I think the key is that Gus obviously knew what changes to make and it made the difference. It's bound to take a bit of time for the new team to bed in. Also I don't think we should take anything away from Doncaster, they put in a good performance in the first half. Just because they struggled in the division last season it doesnt mean they can't produce some good performances. Remember we were league 1 last year, we can't suddenly expect our team to thrash championship teams. Just think we need to be patient and allow the players to get used to new ground and division.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

What a load of rubbish you talk. Have you ever watched football?

Murray was pulled up for being offside many times as will CMS as both play very close on the shoulder of defenders and as such are usually too quick for linos. Murray won the ball in the air last season more times than he didn't and that was one of his strengths coupled with his defending ability to high balls. With a similar type player, who I am certain Gus will bring in during the August loan window, CMS will be given many opportunities for goals. I am only critical if I believe a player has the ability and doesnt use it, or could use it better. If like Holroyd I dont think they will ever make it I will give an opinion.

I have Watched plenty of live albion game over the last 30 years or so so yes i had seen a lot of football.

All i can say about Murray is that if Gus shared your opinion then we would have offered him a deal that would have kept him here rather than letting him leave but clearly Gus knew that we could (and imo have done) found better than Murray who had 1 goodish season in 3 for us but was still limited in his ability and was unproven at this level.

May i suggest you watch the highlights tonight, (as clearly you were spending too much time spending finding fault to notice the good things and i am sure you will (finally) notice Barnes contribution today including a vital contribution in a lot of our build up play even though it may not have lead to a goal but it did lead to missed chances including at least one by CMS.

It has been one match at a higher level than last season and you are already moaning - inbelievable. Players have good and bad games and are not judged (by their managers at least - which you clearly have never been and are clearly incapable of being imo) on their performance in one game but several games and what they do in training (something i expect you don't go and watch) yet you feel better qualified to judge, well excuse me if i ignore your opinion if thats the sort of thing you base it on. 0- you were negative last season and we won the league comfortably and we have played one game this seaon (which we won in case you missed it) and your moaning

I didn't think any of our players looked out of their depth today and they all certainly looked capable of playing at this level week in, week out.

BTW - Since when has moaning about our team or slagging off our own players ever made a player perform better or filled him with the confidence he needs to perform? This culture of negativity needs to stop as it adds absolutely nothing so why do it?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
We all have opinions, that is the whole point NSC, however today 1st half, anyone could see it was not working for whatever reason. Gus, our beloved manager changed at half time, things improved, changed again & we were different class. In Gus we trust, he got it incorrect & then corrected it. FFS how many times have we seen MUFC come from 1 down and win in injury time? Brilliant managing imho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here