Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

D

Deleted member 2719

moggy said:
you're really borderline for planting the earlies.
still worth trying them though.
if your local to shoreham, you could take up tedebears offer of her chitted ones.
if they're well rooted, you still might be able to get them in for some earlies but you better check with her to see how chitted they are.

B.M.F.

yeah, i've planted all the strawberry plants.
took up one of the long plots.

My earlies are going in tomorrow, Hope they will crop - first year we have done pots.

On hols for a week so lots of time dedicated to the Allotment this week.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Shallots, Onions, Radishes & Carrots all in. Radishes up already and looking good. Shallots just starting to get going. no sign of me carrots yet.

Pepper and tomato seedlings doing well and will be in the greenhouse soon.

Beetroot yet to go in and still some space left so might try some sweetcorn.

All marshalls seeds & plants which are excellent.

It's official, I have turned into my Dad ! :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Advice from the experts please .

I have put a glyphosate based weed killer over the areas of my allotment that are infested with weeds which means apparently that I can start planting in that area in 3 or 4 weeks. Do I need to cover the area with either the black shiny plastic sheeting or the black sheeting with holes which allow water to get in and plants to grow but supress the weed growth. If so which is best to use and when should I lay it. I put the weedkiller down this morning. I want to stop the weeds from growing but then be able to rotavate the soil, hopefully next weekend, and then plant some veg seeds/plants.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Advice from the experts please .

I have put a glyphosate based weed killer over the areas of my allotment that are infested with weeds which means apparently that I can start planting in that area in 3 or 4 weeks. Do I need to cover the area with either the black shiny plastic sheeting or the black sheeting with holes which allow water to get in and plants to grow but supress the weed growth. If so which is best to use and when should I lay it. I put the weedkiller down this morning. I want to stop the weeds from growing but then be able to rotavate the soil, hopefully next weekend, and then plant some veg seeds/plants.

I am afraid neither myself or Moggy will be able to help on this one BG because we have not used anything to kill the weeds. We just dug far enough down that we got all the roots as we wanted to keep everything organic.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Collar Feeler said:
Shallots, Onions, Radishes & Carrots all in. Radishes up already and looking good. Shallots just starting to get going. no sign of me carrots yet.

Pepper and tomato seedlings doing well and will be in the greenhouse soon.

Beetroot yet to go in and still some space left so might try some sweetcorn.

All marshalls seeds & plants which are excellent.

It's official, I have turned into my Dad ! :nono:
Our Radish has already gone mad :) It will be ready to pick in four weeks so will need to plant some more seedlings soon :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Quick update is that yesterday our first big crops went into the ground with the planting of Chinese Cabbage and Lettuce :). It was over 100 in the green house as well so spring is nicely in swing now :clap2:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have just planted my first ever crops, peas, carrots and parsnips in the veg plot...two types of tomatos, sweet corn and courgettes in trays in the green house ready to put outside later. Will put some more seeds in when I get back from the footy, probably onions, radish, salad leaves and broccoli.

Haven't a clue what will or won't grow on my little plot, but it will be fun trying.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Gully said:
I have just planted my first ever crops, peas, carrots and parsnips in the veg plot...two types of tomatos, sweet corn and courgettes in trays in the green house ready to put outside later. Will put some more seeds in when I get back from the footy, probably onions, radish, salad leaves and broccoli.

Haven't a clue what will or won't grow on my little plot, but it will be fun trying.

The slugs will love that lot.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
B.M.F said:
Quick update is that yesterday our first big crops went into the ground with the planting of Chinese Cabbage and Lettuce :). It was over 100 in the green house as well so spring is nicely in swing now :clap2:

We did lettuce last year - YUM YUM - although I did plant a new row every second week so we made sure we had them going all summer....and because quite a few got nibbled on!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The expert on SCR yesterday said that to avoid slugs and snails put some old copper wire around the plants that will stop them getting at the plants as they dislike copper.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
doug, I have just bought a shotgun, if the slugs come anywhere near my veggies they are dead meat.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
The expert on SCR yesterday said that to avoid slugs and snails put some old copper wire around the plants that will stop them getting at the plants as they dislike copper.

Copper is good for keeping the slugs away and if I get some I will put it around the raised beds but be warned that they can put acids in the soil fter a while mate;)

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thats it, I will give Edna my shotgun and get her to stand watch over my lettuce...both bases covered.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am going to put boards around my allotment and make some raised beds should the wood that I use for the stakes to hold the boards up be treated if so would ordinary creosote type be ok.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
I am going to put boards around my allotment and make some raised beds should the wood that I use for the stakes to hold the boards up be treated if so would ordinary creosote type be ok.

We have not bothered treating them. It may mean replacing in 3 to 5 years but as we used pallets for most of it then we can just get some more. If you do treat them make sure it is safe for plant life mate :)
Here are a couple more pics of the latest plantings
DSC00021.jpg

Lettuce and Chinese cabbage and huge fruit tree raised bed
DSC00022.jpg

Lots of Strawberry
DSC00019.jpg

You can see our Tadpoles in this shot yay

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
Bouncing your own threads again, Fatboy? :lolol:

I think you will find I am replying to BG's question mate :p

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BMF

Thanks for the advice I am a real novice at this growing and gardening lark and have bought the books but there is nothing to beat asking people for their own experiences and advice.

My boys reckon I am becoming a vegetable bore with the books etc that I read and sky + gardening programs.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
BMF

Thanks for the advice I am a real novice at this growing and gardening lark and have bought the books but there is nothing to beat asking people for their own experiences and advice.

My boys reckon I am becoming a vegetable bore with the books etc that I read and sky + gardening programs.

I hope you have been watching the dig dig this week. It started Monday and is quite intersting on uktv Gardens :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here